Gun selection for shooting high solids clear - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2011, 12:11 PM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Most custom paint jobs will be color sanded and buffer so a little orange peel is better than a huge sag or run (they're usually harder to take care of than orange peel)
I recently saw a brand new Durango and it had so much orange peel on it that I had to walk away. It just upsets me knowing that U.S. company puts out low-grade product and overcharges customer. My old 93 Mazda has way better finish than overpriced Durango. Even my 01 Ram has much better quality paint job (it wasn't even built in U.S. but Mexico)
I would think whomever is in charge on paint assembly line in the plant would make necessary adjustments to robots/paint but I guess they don't care

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2011, 01:19 PM

Last photo:

Im usually a pretty quick learner ive seen a few people I really like listening to people whether they are right or wrong. I have shot ss paint to practice with. What i think is strange that ive shot HOK metallics more than any other paint and never ran it and most of the time shot it impressively well with any gun ive used. Ive always heard that metallics where the hardest to shoot. Last week I shot white ss on door panels on a 67 VW and couldnt keep it from orange peeling.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:59 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

HOK metallics are a base coat unless they started selling SS metallics which I highly doubt.....bases spray completly different...for me they are the easiest.......SS metallics give me a big problem I cant get them to look right at all but I dont worry much about it because the SS metallics just look like crap compared to a BC/CC so I hardly ever use them..
What brand of SS white were you using? are you sure you got the ratio right? The reason I ask is some brands like PPG change the order of the componets so if your used to the hardner being the second componet and its supposed to be last you can get in trouble...I'm sure you know that the reducer temp is imprtant if you use a cold temp reducer in hot weather you'll get the peel too.
So...if the paint and all the componets are right and the ratio is right its not a paint problem that leaves you or the gun.....the gun might be pluged somewhere ,having a second gun sure would be nice...this is a good time to think about one of those 20.00 HF guns as a back up....if it has a 1.4 tip and it sprays better ,then you need to soak your gun. (i've had some pretty stubburnd plugs that I just couldnt get and almost threw a good gun in the trash soaking was what cured the problem) if it sprays the same mabee you should take a closer look at how your spraying...you may be going too fast try slowing down until it lays flat...without actually watching it's very hard to tell what your problem is....
Basicly if your getting peel ,you need to get more material out of the gun or slow down so more material gets on the panel.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:33 PM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

This was single stage metallic paint job I did for a guy. It was pita to lay it out right, without tiger striping and still make it flow so it's not dry looking. However it was good learning experience for me and customer is happy-that's all that counts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3n03k53lf5T05P45R0a3f4c52e0d5a7e01087.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	60473   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0184.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	716.9 KB
ID:	60474   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0188.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	717.9 KB
ID:	60475   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0194.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	651.6 KB
ID:	60476   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0204.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	656.3 KB
ID:	60477  

Old 12-03-2011, 10:03 PM

Last photo:

The metallic i was refering to is 2 stage bc/cc. The brand of single stage i was shooting for a buddy was Valspar idid follow the tech sheet and reduced before adding the ativator. I really do not want to mess with it and reduce it amymore. I think Ijust need to spend more time adjusting the gun. It seems like I had to shoot at 55 psi at the gun to get it to fan out and reduce the orange peel a bit. Many friends have asked me to shoot their cars i always try to talk to them about going bc/cc to me it seems way more forgiving. One last question if the bc. Has a bit of orange peel and i plann on shooting 3 coats of clear, cut then buff. Does it matter that there was orange peel on the base? Will it show through the cut and polished clear?
Old 12-03-2011, 10:09 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the advise deadbodyman. I do have other guns and will
Play with them. I think i might of went to fast. I was afraid of running and i was shooting white ss over white epoxy that had the exact same color..
Old 12-04-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Elcamino
The metallic i was refering to is 2 stage bc/cc. The brand of single stage i was shooting for a buddy was Valspar idid follow the tech sheet and reduced before adding the ativator. I really do not want to mess with it and reduce it amymore. I think Ijust need to spend more time adjusting the gun. It seems like I had to shoot at 55 psi at the gun to get it to fan out and reduce the orange peel a bit. Many friends have asked me to shoot their cars i always try to talk to them about going bc/cc to me it seems way more forgiving. One last question if the bc. Has a bit of orange peel and i plann on shooting 3 coats of clear, cut then buff. Does it matter that there was orange peel on the base? Will it show through the cut and polished clear?
The base SHOULD lay flat,But, I've seen bases sprayed when it was too hot and the reducer wasn't slow enough and the result was a sandpaper like texture ...3 coats of clear burried it and it looked great even before the cut and buff so you'll be fine if you have some peel...but try not to...
buy a 5 gal can of carb cleaner and soak your gun overnight it can only help.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:29 PM

Last photo:

As Im reading and getting ready to test some panels I just realized that the air control knob at the bottom was nearly shut so the pressure the guage was reading at the gun was not the pressure that the gun was actually getting. was driving crazy why the pressure at the gun guage was reading 55-60 before I even coming close to getting a pattern. I feel really stupid.. should of really read the entire manual of the gun. Do most guns have an air pressure control knob? I just thought you control the air at the regulator or guage.. This is the only gun I have with an air control.

Im referring to my Finex HVLP 3000
Old 12-04-2011, 05:42 PM

heeheehee, I think your ready to paint something now...
Old 12-05-2011, 09:39 AM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

Most any HVLP or RP gun has the adjustment at the base or back of the gun for air pressure. I agree with DBM, you're ready to spray a bit more now go enjoy this hobby.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:23 AM

Last photo:

Thanks guys, I did shoot some test panels yesterday and wow what a huge difference.. The gun actually seems to shoot pretty well.

I always seem to learn the most when I make a dumb simple mistake and look for advice... Thank You
Old 12-05-2011, 10:29 AM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

That's the same way I learn, when I learned, I didn't have the benefit of this forum. I made several of the same mistake in just lesser degrees each successive time til I figured out what I was doing wrong.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:44 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

the best painter you will ever meet is the one who's made the most mistakes.......
Old 12-06-2011, 07:20 AM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine
the best painter you will ever meet is the one who's made the most mistakes.......
Shine, I've probably made the most mistakes but am nowhere near the level of you and several others on here. I'm a slow learner.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:22 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

as an old painter told me once many years ago " you don't have to be a great painter but you damn well better be a great buffer "

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.