Guys need help with Gear Choice!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2004, 02:39 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Exclamation Guys need help with Gear Choice!!

Quick run down. I have a Nova its about 3200 lbs. Has a smallblock 400 built on juice. Shifts at about 7000rpm. Around High 6 second 1/8th mile car. (soon to be lower I hope)

The car isnt done by far and I'm always looking to go faster. Problem is all these rice burners run on the highway and with 4.56's (with 28 inch tall tires) I dont like going on the top end very much. The car also has a Built th400/full manual valve body with 4000 converter. Now...in order to play with them on the highway I need a gear change. I'm still primarily wanting to beat up on cars from a Drag race but I need to put this talkers in their place and show them how Muscle Cars do things!

I had 3.08's before the car was seriously built (had an all motor 375hp 355 with 4 speed trans back then) so I know how they feel. I also had the 4.56's with the 4 speed back then. Then I went to the 4.56's with auto trans and the 400 on juice. So I'm keeping the Automatic + same motor just need a gear change.. I was thinking either a 3.42 or 3.73??

I would probably get 3.55's but I have a 10 bolt 8.5 rearend currently and they arent available for it.

So how do you think these gears will react? Will I lose any 1/4 time ET? Maybe gain MPH? Would I lose/gain more with 3.42 vs 3.73? Will my 1/8th mile suffer? ( the 1/4 mile track is alot further away so I hit up the 1/8th alot) Will 3.73 still be good for some top end runs? 3.42 would probably gain me more on the top end (as long as aerodynamics isnt too big a problem) but will they suck from a dead stop? Keep in mind Im not changing other things (except bigger carb) but these gears.

So many questions.. I just really need some opinions. Shoot me some ideas/advice on this if you can.

-HoosierDaddy

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2004, 05:40 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I would think that even with 3.73s, that you wouldn't get it into 3rd gear on the 1/8 mile. (I could be wrong)

Obviously, still a street car, you probably have to live with that. I would think that 4.10s would be a better choice. I raced my BB Chevelle (1/4 mile) with 4.10s and was 1/2 way through 3rd gear at the 1/4....turbo 400.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:11 AM
Last photo:

Have you considered a beefed up 700R4? The OD could do what you want.

Vince
Old 03-11-2004, 04:26 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Forget the ring and pinion or tranny swap, go to Gear Vendors http://www.gearvendors.com/cg2wd3s.html give that 400 Turbo overdrive .

Mike
Old 03-11-2004, 08:02 PM

Good idea I knew about the OD for TH400 but didnt really consider it til you reminded me. I wouldnt go 700r4 this th400 just got built and its strong. Not to mention I have 5 bills in a converter, $$ in deep pan/cooler/pistol grip shifter/driveshaft,crossmember it wouldnt be worth that time/effort and $ to change all that at this point. PLus the R4 has a lower 1st gear like 3.08 I think and then I'd need a gear swap anyways with 3.08 x 4.56's Yikes outta the hole.

That OD setup is $$. Say I play it cheaper this year because I can pick up gears at a good price and pay next to nothing to get them setup its just a cheap thing I can do for my purpose right now.

3.73 is what I'm leaning towards

Last edited by HoosierDaddy; 03-12-2004 at 02:56 AM.
Old 03-12-2004, 03:00 PM

i kinda like the sound of using a 4.10 or a 4.11 gear my self. i got a 97 formula, it has a 3.23 gear stock. it shifts much lower and has far less horse power though. i think with your shift points and horsepower ratings a larger gear should fare you well. i would go no lower than 3.73.

either that or an overdrive modual could do you well, the are rather pricey tho as compared to a gear set.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:43 PM

Last photo:

No offense but if you have a car like that that is running 6's. Why would you even downgrade, so you can play with the ricers? I just dont understand that. Id just keep it at the track, do some mods to get it faster at the track, IMO.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:20 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Rubberman I think part of HoosierDaddys point was that he can't really run this car on the highway, personally I would call making something considerably more streetable without loosing much performance and upgrade, that is unless he wanted a strictly drag car, which apparently isn't what he is shooting for.
HoosierDaddy get the 3.73's is will be bareable on the highway, and will still give you nice track performance. The only reason I say stay away from the 3.42s is the 2.48:1 first gear in the 400 won't come off the line as well as you want, especially since your use to the 4.56s. And on the street your 4000 RPM stall converter won't like them either.

Mike
Old 03-13-2004, 05:01 AM

GhettoJet knows where I'm coming from now. I know the car is already fast. I dont think I'll even lose much time in the 1/8th mile from a higher gear swap either the car makes plenty of torque to get moving fast. It will just be nice to know that the riceboys wont be able to go run and hide on the highway from me like they have done before. It's not even so much about the racing aspect. (because I dont want to come off as some Joe streetracer either) I just think if I can do without such steep gear, then I should do without it. I'm trying to make it not so much of a drag car anymore I want to get it more all around streetable yet still crazy fast.

I think 3.73 will be my choice. I just hope it comes out of the hole fast still. 3.42 does seem a little too wimpy and I wouldnt go 4.10 since im only a little more now. After that I have 3.90's as a choice. But I'm just missing top end so 3.73 looks like the candidate.
Old 03-13-2004, 04:09 PM

Last photo:

No offense intended, just wanted to make sure. My camaro has 3.73's they are great for track and street, IMO. Keeps me right in my power zone on the highway.
Old 03-13-2004, 06:58 PM

Its all good Rubberman I talked to a guy today and he was telling me the 3.73 might be too high a gear and after shifts I would drop below my stall range and bog for a second. He suggested 3.90 or 4.10. I think I'll give the 3.73 a try tho I can always swap different gears in if I dont like them. Thanks for the replys guys!
Old 03-13-2004, 07:38 PM

Last photo:

Well in my camaro i run a Th350...same as 400, just not as tough basically and it perfect for my car, just depends one when you make the most power. Even going 90 or so, i floor it (doenst kick down or anything) but it will still pin you in your seat

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.