Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - H.F. Portable sand blaster not blasting
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2011, 05:30 PM

Last journal entry: Por 15
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

H.F. Portable sand blaster not blasting

Hello all,
I had purchased a harbor freight (HF) sand blaster with vacuum cleaner attachment. I thought it was the greatest invention in the world. Unfortunately it was not a very agressive blasting unit so i returned it and got my money back.

Details
I found a 20lbs portable sand blaster on Craigslist for $20 so I went and bought that as a replacement. I thought this pressure vessel type blaster would work better than a venturi type blaster. Pictured:

The guy I bought it from said it worked. I have had this thing sitting in the garage for months. I can't get it to blast. I removed the valve on the bottom of the tank and replaced it with a piece of straight pipe. This valve was used to let the sand flow from the tank into the "Y' fitting that then brings the sane to the gun. I decided that I would never need to reduce the amount of sand flowing from the tank.

I use to have a filter at the top of the tank between the tank and my air line going into the tank. I got rid of this because it broke.

Direct Question for the lazy reader
When I try and blast air is flowing from the nozzle. Very little IF ANY media flows out of the nozzle. I completely opened all the valves at the top and the bottom, but that didn't change a thing.

Why wont thins work? Any suggestions on what to fix?

I will post some pictures later to demonstrate the valve setup on the blaster.