Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - H.F. Portable sand blaster not blasting
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2011, 09:23 AM

Last journal entry: Por 15
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime
Glass bead will not relieve moisture issues..you need dry air..regular sand will clog one of those units probably the clog is in the nozzle for the OP..

Sam
I call it SAND but I am actually using a product called "Black beauty". "Black Beauty" is one fo the most common abrasive blasting medias there is. Its efficent, reusable and fairly inexpensive.

I wonder if this was the problem. Would this be the issue? I had try glass bead once, that didn't work either.

Quote:
You have to have pressure on the sand in the pot top (to push sand down), you have to have a valve ( at the bottom) to regulate the amount of sand coming out to nozzle. there should be a little less pressure pushing the sand down and an more on the nozzle to help suck the sand into the hose. Remember, more pressure the harder it cuts and , more sand, less cutting and heat it will create on the part. Your air supply has to be dry or it'll cause the sand to ball up. You really need a receiver tank to give the air time to let the moisture steal out. intake from air supply on top, discharge on top a drain **** on the bottom open just a little to help keep the moisture running out. It take a lot of air flow and pressure (80 psi or better) to sand blast.
I understand your point completely about the pressures at the different points of this blaster. But, the valves used to adjust these pressures are just a simple ball valve. These are not veyr precise valves where the pressure can be fined tuned.

Look at the picture I have attached. There are two valves at the top of the tank. One controls air pressure going into the tank. The other goes downward to where the sand gets pushed out from the tank to push the air/sand to the exiting nozzle. I thought both of these should be completely open to get the maximum blasting efficency. Although, I have tried adjusting one valve at a time to see if I can get sand blasting, your comment make sense to not have the same pressure at both locations.

I am really starting to wonder if I need a filter or some sort of additional reservoir in between the tank and the airline??? The filter I had previously run was this:

Maybe I should run something like this?

I wish there was a one way valve that would not let debris back into the airline...