h20 based paints - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hot Rod Art
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2006, 02:09 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

h20 based paints

hello, what constitutes a paint as being ' automotive grade ' ?
I'm going with auto-air colors (so called waterbased) at the moment for large area.
They state ' suitable' for custom paintjobs on autos,motorcyles etc...
'suitable' sounds like a lame attempt at quality.
Anyway, what is quality automotive grade ? Would any exterior metal coat/paint whatever... be automotive grade if not coated with UV protected finish ? ..like spraying a base coat with no sealer or topcoat , is that no longer considered automotive grade ?
Are pigments automotive grade in quality paints and waterbased paints as well ?...So what if they arent ? I mean for example, you could encapsulate pure water in UV rated acrylic enamel and now have automotive grade water (right?).
does anyone see what I'm talking about here ?
thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2006, 12:24 PM

Last photo:

Oh man what your asking would take forever to answer.

First the AUTO AIR is top of the line automotive grade and don't let the waterborne part scare you as its an excellent paint to work with and let me add "state of the art" for a waterborne that I am not normally a fan of.

As far as industrial, normally they are must lower quality than so call automotive grade paints.
The resin and Iso's if used will be of cheaper quality and perhaps some examples would be equipment manufacturers I was in one recently and he is paying $13 a gallon for red, well that same red would be $440-480 in an automotive grade of quality.
He did not care if it lasted as long as it did not rust before the dealer he sold it to, sold the product.

He thought the finished product looked great but to me it looked like an aerosol can job.

Also one of the most expensive things in a gallon of paint is the UV inhibitors so in an industrial grade there will be a lot less used if any.

Another trick for industrial paint companies is resins and Iso's are expired dated like milk and you can save 50-90% over the original cost of an expired item as it is cheaper for the maker to sell 10 cents on the dollar than pay disposal fees to get rid of the product.
This would be suicide for an automotive grade paint manufacturer to buy an out dated product.

So in short, no you do not use an industrial grade on your 34 ford.
The difference is day and night.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:58 AM

hey thanks barryK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK
Oh man what your asking would take forever to answer.

First the AUTO AIR is top of the line automotive grade and don't let the waterborne part scare you as its an excellent paint to work with and let me add "state of the art" for a waterborne that I am not normally a fan of.

As far as industrial, normally they are must lower quality than so call automotive grade paints.
The resin and Iso's if used will be of cheaper quality and perhaps some examples would be equipment manufacturers I was in one recently and he is paying $13 a gallon for red, well that same red would be $440-480 in an automotive grade of quality.
He did not care if it lasted as long as it did not rust before the dealer he sold it to, sold the product.

He thought the finished product looked great but to me it looked like an aerosol can job.

Also one of the most expensive things in a gallon of paint is the UV inhibitors so in an industrial grade there will be a lot less used if any.

Another trick for industrial paint companies is resins and Iso's are expired dated like milk and you can save 50-90% over the original cost of an expired item as it is cheaper for the maker to sell 10 cents on the dollar than pay disposal fees to get rid of the product.
This would be suicide for an automotive grade paint manufacturer to buy an out dated product.

So in short, no you do not use an industrial grade on your 34 ford.
The difference is day and night.
thanks for the input there BarryK I've seen your advice here in paint and it's been appreciated on other threads...I'm new here so bare with me.
I like this informative site although I dont have a 4wheel hotrod (yet)- I just have old harleys and plenty of sheet metal as hobbies, but that aint the point.
THE PAINT FORUMS HERE RULE !!!
anyway, I tested autoair true candy with a brush over 3 bases(silver metal rattle can bein the best than met black or met gold) and they come out like a dried up ketchup stain ,so far , but I aint giving up on them at'll

Dang if i know wut's gonna happen when i hit submit.
Does this whole response get recycled again or is there a better way?
Old 03-12-2006, 06:51 AM
Almost an old guy...

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigidude
THE PAINT FORUMS HERE RULE !!!
anyway, I tested autoair true candy with a brush over 3 bases(silver metal rattle can bein the best than met black or met gold) and they come out like a dried up ketchup stain ,so far , but I aint giving up on them at'll

Dang if i know wut's gonna happen when i hit submit.
Does this whole response get recycled again or is there a better way?
You hit the right button

I'm just wondering, when you say brush do you mean the kind with bristles?? If so that is probably your problem, if you are air brushing then I think that maybe you are too close and putting it on too thick, using Autoair paints is like learning to paint all over again. They have to be sprayed from quite a distance and are like misted on until you have the coverage you want. A poor discription but the best I can do.

Check out the slide shows here http://www.autoaircolors.com/ under the how too pulldown, they show the spraying technique which to say the least isn't like spraying any other paint.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceM
You hit the right button

I'm just wondering, when you say brush do you mean the kind with bristles?? If so that is probably your problem, if you are air brushing then I think that maybe you are too close and putting it on too thick, using Autoair paints is like learning to paint all over again. They have to be sprayed from quite a distance and are like misted on until you have the coverage you want. A poor discription but the best I can do.

Check out the slide shows here http://www.autoaircolors.com/ under the how too pulldown, they show the spraying technique which to say the least isn't like spraying any other paint.
thanks lance , sorry , I meant the kind with bristles( that's how I test them before I actually do a test panel)...that way I can get an idea what shades' gonna come out , so i dont care about brush strokes or bristles gettin into it(this is cool, waterbased products dont eat up my brush bristles like they did with lacquer!) ...as for the 'candy' it was 'transparent color' I was using and arent they the same thing ? candy and transparent ?
Old 03-17-2006, 06:09 AM
Almost an old guy...

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigidude
thanks lance , sorry , I meant the kind with bristles( that's how I test them before I actually do a test panel)...that way I can get an idea what shades' gonna come out , so i dont care about brush strokes or bristles gettin into it(this is cool, waterbased products dont eat up my brush bristles like they did with lacquer!) ...as for the 'candy' it was 'transparent color' I was using and arent they the same thing ? candy and transparent ?
Don't know if you can call candy and transparent the same, that is outside my experiance.

But to your results I think it is because you are using a brush and there is no way you can put it on thin enough, giving you that dried ketchup look. I think spraying would give you an entirely different result, remember too that these paints are bases and need to be cleared, they will have a flat look before cleared and maybe that is why you are not seeing what you are expecting too.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:25 AM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

Should´nt this have been posted in Body-Exterior ?
Old 03-20-2006, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malc
Should´nt this have been posted in Body-Exterior ?
that's where it was intened to go,but once I joined and did a search it took me here !
I hope nobody got in any kind of trouble and needs a lawyer or somethin like that *** ?
Old 03-21-2006, 02:05 AM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

Expect the Forum Inquisition at any time
It occured to you´d get more results in Exterior.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malc
Expect the Forum Inquisition at any time
It occured to you´d get more results in Exterior.
yeah I know, but it was too late.
I'm gonna try and post somthing like it on the Exterior board.
thx
Old 06-17-2007, 06:05 PM

Water base color testing

The cheapest way to tell the truer color test is to a air brush 'the best' or the worst is a spray bottle you buy at the hardward for using your choice of color. Follow the instruction, go slow , thin coats only for a build up, each coat dry before the next, use a hair dryer if your to wet, the paint will dry looking flat, and use a clear finger nail polish for your clear coat. Have fun, ROCKETMAN

Recent Hot Rod Art posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.