Hagerty or Grundy - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2006, 01:01 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hagerty or Grundy

I know this has been discussed before but I couldnt find the thread.

In my instant quote Grudy was less than half of Hagerty.

I would like to hear from people that use one of these company's.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2006, 01:18 PM
Flamethrower

Last journal entry: More Cooling fan pictures.
Last photo:

I have not has any dealings with those two, but my father did try to get insured under american hobbyist and his application was declined. He was trying get his '65 Riviera and '64 Special insured through them. First off, I would not be able to drive them (no problem I have my own wheels), but any traffic violations I or my mother had would affect his insurance on those cars, even though he would be the only one to legally drive them. I had on ticket and he had one. They were worried about my one ticket. That alone almost got his insurance declined. The icing on the cake was that the newest car in the driveway is the '85 Regal I drive to school. They were worried about reliability of the "older" vehicles and that it might press the classics into use. Quite frankly all of the cars we have are tough enough to see drag strip duty on any given day. I figure if I can run them all out pass after pass, the are plenty tough for the street. Besides, any other car on the street could keel over at any time, but they are not worried about the "newer" vehicles. Sorry for the rant, but I'm just letting you know what could happen with any of the collector insurance agencies, i would imagine they would have similar criteria to go by. (I don't mean to start anything, but the way the agency handled it really rubbed me the wrong way).
Old 06-01-2006, 02:49 PM
T-Bucket, Corvette, Mustang

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I just renewed with Hagerty. Before renewing, I had a quote from Grundy and they were 48% higher than Hagerty. Hagerty was also lower a year ago when I switched to them. I guess it just depends on the situation.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:58 PM

Last photo:

i had Hagerty for 6 years & they were great to deal with. exactly 3 weeks after switching to them a drunk side swiped my coupe. it was SO easy to file a claim, their rep came within 3 days to verify the accident & damage. i had the repair check 5 days later.
i switched to Grundy last year because the last 3 years my rate kept going up at renewal time. no tickets or any other accidents on my part. i now pay less than half to Grundy compared to Hagerty. i don't know if it was Hagerty or my independent agent causing my rate to go up.
quite a few of the local rodders i know use Grundy & recommended them when i complained to them about my rates rising. hope this helps.

Last edited by FASTFORD; 06-02-2006 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:12 PM
Last photo:

I have my 34 under construction with Grundy. They were the only one that would insure a car under construction.

Vince
Old 06-01-2006, 09:02 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

[QUOTE=302/Z28]I have my 34 under construction with Grundy. They were the only one that would insure a car under construction./QUOTE]

Sneed will also do this. In fact, they insured my roadster during construction before it even had a VIN.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:58 PM
Are we having fun yet?

Last photo:

I use Grundy for my 23 and the Mustang. I had to file a claim and it was easy, fast, and no hassle. This is my 4th year with them and I'm very satisfied.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:27 AM

Last photo:

Hagerty or Grundy

I use Hagerty on both my 57 Old's and my 40 Ford Coupe , have for three years my rates have not went up at all . I check with Grundy at the same time when I went with Hagerty , there rates were higher at that time .

FAT40
Old 06-02-2006, 09:58 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Doesn't anyone use their regular insurance company for insurance? If you keep it below so many miles a year and supposingly go to only shows and parades with it and get an appraisal on the car, the insurance is not that bad. My '62 with full coverage was around $250 / year. After I started in on redoing it, I called the insurance company up, dropped the full coverage, but kept fire & theft on it as it would not be on the road. $80 / year.
That brings up another point for anyone restoring a car in their garage. With most insurance companies, if something happens to the garage as in a fire or other catastrophic occurrence, the car needs to be covered under insurance. If it is not covered, it will be a loss to you. Insurance companies have changed somewhat over the years and anything that happens to a car has to be covered under the car insurance and anything that happens to the dwelling is covered under homeowners. Homeowners does not cover auto. So you restorers may want to double check with you insurance agent to see if your ride is covered or not.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:37 AM

Last photo:

I have used Hagerty for years. I had one claim for a broken windshield and I received a check right away. My insurance agent for all my commercial auto and business insurance has switched to Hagerty for his 34 Chevy because of what he has heard about them. That might tell you something about Hagerty.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:49 AM
Takes Guts To Cut One Up

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin45
Doesn't anyone use their regular insurance company for insurance? If you keep it below so many miles a year and supposingly go to only shows and parades with it and get an appraisal on the car, the insurance is not that bad. My '62 with full coverage was around $250 / year. After I started in on redoing it, I called the insurance company up, dropped the full coverage, but kept fire & theft on it as it would not be on the road. $80 / year.
That brings up another point for anyone restoring a car in their garage. With most insurance companies, if something happens to the garage as in a fire or other catastrophic occurrence, the car needs to be covered under insurance. If it is not covered, it will be a loss to you. Insurance companies have changed somewhat over the years and anything that happens to a car has to be covered under the car insurance and anything that happens to the dwelling is covered under homeowners. Homeowners does not cover auto. So you restorers may want to double check with you insurance agent to see if your ride is covered or not.
This is great if you don't have any driving age children then it goes through the roof! I currently have Grundy on my 25 Chev they are substantially cheaper than Hagarty or Sneed but do have more restrictions on use and who can drive. No one under 23 can drive and no driving to work or casual use.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:45 PM
T-Bucket, Corvette, Mustang

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

My agent ('Like a Good Neighbor' LOL!) says they won't do street rods. I've heard from others that this company will do the coverage. Who to believe? Perhaps it is just the individual agent doesn't understand or doesn't want to be involved in this market. You also have to remember that companies that specialize in this market usually have 'agreed to' values and other accomodations to collector owners that is just contrary to the way mainstream insurers work - that is, from their point of view vehicles always depreciate in value, and they ultimately determine what your vehicle or claim is worth when it comes time to pay that claim. Also too many restrictions.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:46 PM

Last photo:

[QUOTE=Kevin45]Doesn't anyone use their regular insurance company for insurance?

when i bought my car i called my regular insurance agent (nationwide). i was told, NO WAY. i started shopping for insurance. State Farm would insure everything but a street rod, thats what the guy told me. then i found Sneed&Robinson just for my street rod. i had them for 2 years. changed to Hagerty for $200.00 LESS a year! as i stated before,after a couple years my rates started going up.
most of the specialty insurance companies at the very least require you keep it on your property in a locked garage,must not use it as a daily driver,restrict who can drive it, some mileage limits & NO RACING . other than that, it`s HAVE FUN !!!

Last edited by FASTFORD; 06-02-2006 at 03:49 PM. Reason: misspelled
Old 06-03-2006, 10:00 AM
Glad the Jeep is on the road

Last wiki edit: How to identify a Ford V8
Wiki Edits: 8

I have no experience with the specialty companies but several close friends in the insurance business. The policies that companies who work with independent agents write vary widely in what they will or won't do, and it helps if the agent is very knowledgeable (some are, some aren't). Sometimes the rates will vary because one agent is smarter than another on working the rate structure. It pays to shop and it helps to know an expert or two.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:20 PM

Last photo:

My regular Ins co. was charging me $600 a year on my 74 vette. Switched to Haggerty, and now I pay $158 a year for full coverage,$13,500 agreed upon replacement value. Now, my regular ins co is a Haggerty rep so I go thru them.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.