Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Hail damage
Thread: Hail damage
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 11:12 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by swvalcon
NO MartinSR no joke. I had never tried it until and assistant manager told me how to do it so I thought what the heck I'll try anything once.We had a hail job in the shop and he wanted me to do it. Said it didn't have to be perfect but to get it as good as possible. Was and older ford taurus late 80s style sliver in color.I got the hood set up so I could site across it like I was about to do pdr work. Then took my small butane torch and as I said started around the outer edge of the hail dent with the heat and slowly warmed the metal working into the center making sure not to get it to hot. Sure enough it expanded the metal just like he said it would. As the dent raised up with the heat I could watch it until it was up perfect with the rest of the hood then hit it real fast with the cold rag and it just seemed to lock it right there. Dam est thing I ever saw. I would never have thought it would work but it did. The hood had maybe a dozen or better hail dents in it and I got them all out but two. Took maybe a hour after I got the hang of it. Only burnt the paint in a couple of spot and the just enough to discolor it. Filled the two remaining dents, da-ed it down and painted and looked good. Take and old junk hood with hail dents in it and try it. If you can learn the trick it's a real time saver.
The guy I was quoting before also said, once you had practice, you could often repair them so no filler was needed.

I don't know if that includes the "baseball-sized hail" that the news mentioned. :-)