Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   Hail damage (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hail-damage-218123.html)

gunnzz101 04-13-2012 05:07 PM

Hail damage

How do I get all of these small dents out my truck looks like a golf ball

John long 04-13-2012 05:15 PM

Perfect job for someone who does paint repair. They will usually give you a price by the panel.

MARTINSR 04-13-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John long
Perfect job for someone who does paint repair. They will usually give you a price by the panel.

Do you mean "paint-less" repair?

They are like storm chasers. :D

Brian

John long 04-13-2012 05:22 PM

:drunk: Sure did. Honest I'm still sober. Thanks Brian.

gunnzz101 04-14-2012 02:21 PM

Thanks man I was lost

TucsonJay 04-14-2012 02:26 PM

I had a guy from Kansas who worked for me. He said that repairing hail dents with a torch and ice cubes, is a talent many bodymen there learn very well.

I think he said to heat a dime-sized spot to red color... then quench it with an ice cube.

Good luck. {:-(

MARTINSR 04-14-2012 02:33 PM

Fixing something like that saying heat it with a torch and put an ice cube on it would be like saying "slice a hole into her side and then remove the appendix and sew her up". :rolleyes:

Brian

TucsonJay 04-14-2012 02:53 PM

Just passin' on what I heard. :-)

I could have said "Sand it and fill it with plastic".

swvalcon 04-14-2012 06:22 PM

what YOU DO IS TAKE A SMALL BU -TAINE TORCH AND YOU GET SO YOU CAN SITE DOWN THE PANEL YOUR WORKING ON SO YOU CAN SEE THE HAIL DENT AS IT STARTS TO COME UP. Now you slowly warm the area around the dent with the torch working from around the hail dent intoward the middle of it. Dont get the panel to warm and if it starts to go down instead of up get off it with the heat. You should see the hail dent come to where it looks perfect now real fast hit it with a cold rag dipped in water or with ice in it. The panel should lock right there.Ive done hood and roofs this way. I did and old ford taurus hood this way. It was sliver and I couldn't get a couple to come up or we wouldn't have even had to paint the hood. If you get good at it you wont even burn the paint.Find and old hood or trunk lid take a marble in a sock and put some dents in it and practice untill you get the hang of it. Once straight you can do it over and over untill it comes easy to you. When you do it's way faster than filling with mud and blocking straight.

eloc431962 04-15-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunnzz101
How do I get all of these small dents out my truck looks like a golf ball

It might depend on just exactly what year truck and brand you are working on JMO. You have not said exactly what year truck it is old/new what ?
Could make all the difference on the proper process to do the repair old all steel panels new could have aluminum hood and such on them JMO.
We really need to know exactly what it is IMHO to really help. :thumbup:

Cole
:pimp:

MARTINSR 04-15-2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swvalcon
what YOU DO IS TAKE A SMALL BU -TAINE TORCH AND YOU GET SO YOU CAN SITE DOWN THE PANEL YOUR WORKING ON SO YOU CAN SEE THE HAIL DENT AS IT STARTS TO COME UP. Now you slowly warm the area around the dent with the torch working from around the hail dent intoward the middle of it. Dont get the panel to warm and if it starts to go down instead of up get off it with the heat. You should see the hail dent come to where it looks perfect now real fast hit it with a cold rag dipped in water or with ice in it. The panel should lock right there.Ive done hood and roofs this way. I did and old ford taurus hood this way. It was sliver and I couldn't get a couple to come up or we wouldn't have even had to paint the hood. If you get good at it you wont even burn the paint.Find and old hood or trunk lid take a marble in a sock and put some dents in it and practice untill you get the hang of it. Once straight you can do it over and over untill it comes easy to you. When you do it's way faster than filling with mud and blocking straight.

This is a joke right? I have been in the body repair business for 35+ years and couldn't do this to save my life. There is no way I could even come close to pulling this off. I could possible make the dents look "different" but to remove them? Can't imagine this outside of a David Copperfield or Criss Angel show pulling off such magic.

Brian

swvalcon 04-15-2012 09:23 AM

NO MartinSR no joke. I had never tried it until and assistant manager told me how to do it so I thought what the heck I'll try anything once.We had a hail job in the shop and he wanted me to do it. Said it didn't have to be perfect but to get it as good as possible. Was and older ford taurus late 80s style sliver in color.I got the hood set up so I could site across it like I was about to do pdr work. Then took my small butane torch and as I said started around the outer edge of the hail dent with the heat and slowly warmed the metal working into the center making sure not to get it to hot. Sure enough it expanded the metal just like he said it would. As the dent raised up with the heat I could watch it until it was up perfect with the rest of the hood then hit it real fast with the cold rag and it just seemed to lock it right there. Dam est thing I ever saw. I would never have thought it would work but it did. The hood had maybe a dozen or better hail dents in it and I got them all out but two. Took maybe a hour after I got the hang of it. Only burnt the paint in a couple of spot and the just enough to discolor it. Filled the two remaining dents, da-ed it down and painted and looked good. Take and old junk hood with hail dents in it and try it. If you can learn the trick it's a real time saver.

MARTINSR 04-15-2012 09:29 AM

I don't have hail damage very often (I have only seen it a few times in my life) but I do have one coming in next week, a Kia Soul, I'll give it a try.

But I have tried this method on other small soft dings and it was a failure. Maybe the hail dent being about as "soft" a dent as you can get, maybe that makes the difference.

Brian

HrdNox 04-15-2012 09:36 AM

That would be something to see.

techron 04-15-2012 10:13 AM

Brian, we had hail here in the north bay on thursday. it was puny hail that hit the ground and was just gone. when i lived in kansas in the 60s i saw golf ball sized hail that totaled cars left outside. How about the lightening/thunder storms that rolled through the bay area??? SF, the east and south bay got pounded. PG&E reported over 1000 strikes to the grid. being in the east bay did you see any of that???