hail damage - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2004, 07:07 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

hail damage

How do you remove hail dents with dry ice ?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2004, 07:18 PM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

Yeh , how do you do it????

I think it is an old wives tale.

Troy
Old 11-05-2004, 08:24 PM
Glad the Jeep is on the road

Last wiki edit: How to identify a Ford V8
Wiki Edits: 8

So a blonde takes her hail-damaged car to the body shop and the guy there decides to have some fun. He says:

"this isn't that bad, you might try fixing it yourself."

She says "how?" he says, "let it cool off for awhile, then blow real hard into the tailpipe, they might pop out."

So she takes it home and is just getting ready to do this procedure when her blonde roomate gets home. She asks "what are you doing?" First blonde explains -- second blonde says "duhhh- it won't work if you don't roll up the windows...."
Old 11-05-2004, 09:05 PM

Last photo:

Re: hail damage

Quote:
Originally posted by atlas4141
I have never done this but I have run into body-men that use a shirking tip on a stud gun and dry ice is applied right away.

I have done this with a wet rag but never ice.
Bwk
Old 11-05-2004, 09:23 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,149 Posts
I have never seen it done either, but if it could be, it would take a talented artist just as any other "tool".
Old 11-05-2004, 09:36 PM

Last photo:

Martin,
I'm sure you have tried about every-way possible to repair hail damage like myself and every other body man out there.

BUT

I just thought of something thinking about dry ice.
What if the hood was brought up to 140-145 metal temp in a bake booth and dry ice was applied to hood????
In my feeble mind it might work?
Old 11-05-2004, 09:52 PM

Last photo:

LOL, Barry, you are WAY ahead of me on hail damage. Around here the hail is about 1/8" MAX, usually about a 1/16". They do not cause any damage at all. But I have seen cars from back east with "hail damage" so I have an idea, but nothing more than that.

The only way I have ever pulled something like that up without "touching" it, was with a torch. A "ding" like that can be "pulled" up by running the torch around the edge of the "ding" and going in to the center as it pulls up towards the flame. It is not as easy as it sounds but it can be done.

As far as the dry ice, you may be right, but "regular" ice would do the same thing wouldn't it? If the car was heated to 140 degrees and you "shrank" the little dings by cooling them with a cube of ice? Could be possible but not likely I wouldn't think.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pmeisel
So a blonde takes her hail-damaged car to the body shop and the guy there decides to have some fun. He says:
So as a 16 year old (in the mid eighties) I worked for Sears in the auto shop doing oil changes, tires, etc. We had a number of store employees that would send their blonde (or blonde in spirit) wives/girlfriends in to have various bits of service done to thier cars. The common requests were, rotation/change of tire air, and changing of blinker fluid.

Always good for a laugh.

One non gag blonde event that was pretty funny was when a girl had her 1980ish VW Scirroco towed in because it was running badly. She said it was running ok but was low on oil, so she filled it up with oil then it started running really bad, lots of noise and smoke. So the lead tech on that night fires up the car and sure enough it sounds like death in the crank case and it smokes like mad. Turns out when she said she filled it up with oil, she meant it. She put in oil until the valve train was bathing in it. I was just shocked the motor ran at all. I never saw the inside of that motor, but I'd guess it was missing a piston top in at least once hole.

Quote:
Originally posted by atlas4141
I would think the best tools would be a hammer and a dolly.
Old 11-06-2004, 07:15 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

A few years ago, when I worked for an insurance company, I got a large dent in my company car, from hail. It was ironoc, considering that I was on my way back from writing estimates on hail damaged cars. LOL

I called my boss, and mentioned it to him. He told me to leave the car in the sun for a few hours, to get good and hot, then place an ice cube on the dent and it would go away. The car still had the dent a year later when they replaced it. The ice did nothing for the dent, except make it wet. I have been told that it works for smaller dents, that one was about 1 1/2" and 1/8" deep. I have not tried it on smaller ones, I don't let them bother me that much.
Old 11-06-2004, 10:03 AM

Last photo:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MARTINSR
[B]LOL, Barry, you are WAY ahead of me on hail damage. Around here the hail is about 1/8" MAX, usually about a 1/16". They do not cause any damage at all. But I have seen cars from back east with "hail damage" so I have an idea, but nothing more than that.

You don't know what your missing! This summer we had one hail storm for about 30 minutes and 50% of the hail were the size of golf balls.
The yard looked like 2 inches of snow and even beat the leaves to death on the trees.
bwk
Old 11-06-2004, 10:49 AM

Last photo:

Ok guys, maybe the Mythbusters can tell us. I posted over at the Mythbusters forum (ckick here ) .
My user name over there is "whatcouldiknow".
Old 11-07-2004, 10:15 PM

Well guys, ice does not work. The only way to remove hail dents without messing with the painted surface is to use a PDR (paintless dent repair) method. There are bodymen or usually called "PDR guys or dent guys" like myself that make their living doing this. They go in from the backside of the dent and work it out with many small pushes using special rods.
Look in your yellow pages under autobody repair and there will probably be one for PDR. The cost is usually half or less of a bodyshop repair and the guys that know what they are doing will make the dent disappear. Don't even bother with anyone who hasn't been doing it for 3+ years full time. You can't try it a few times and be good at it, it takes LOTS of practice. I do street rods all the time as it is too costly to repaint custom jobs.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:37 AM
Old enough to know better

I have to ask, "Why would anybody in their right mind leave a street rod with a fancy paint job out where it could get hail damage?"
If you didn't mind hail dings, you could buy a new car in Denver last summer at a substantial discount. A couple of dealerships got really clobbered and just dumped a lot of cars.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:36 AM

Last photo:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by julmer
[B]I have to ask, "Why would anybody in their right mind leave a street rod with a fancy paint job out where it could get hail damage?"

Thank you for asking!
Never herd of such a thing.
BK
Old 11-09-2004, 09:17 PM

That is a very good question, but things do happen. One guy got caught in hail driving home from a show. Usually I fix door dings in the sides. There are guys that chase hail storms and fix dealer cars like you mentioned in Denver. Good money but on the road all the time. Not for me.

Mark in MT

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.