Halfbreed speedometer cables - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2007, 11:51 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Halfbreed speedometer cables

Hi guys, I have a question on speedometer cables. I need one for a 700r4 on one end and a 87 Mazda truck on the speedometer end. The same lenght as the orginal Mazda. I was thinking of cutting the Mazda cable in a straight place and silver-solder the end section of a 700r4 end to it. No cable places in Birmingham, or either not listed as such.

Has anyone ever tried to silver-solder one togather. If it was in a straight run of the cable it looks like it could work.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2007, 06:51 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

What does the Mazda end look like ??

The 700R4 uses the same speedometer end as the Turbo 350, Turbo 400, PowerGlide and other straight drive Chevrolets. So ... there is a good possibility that a factory cable exists.

On my 32 Fords with Chevrolet transmissions ... I have a Stewart Warner 160 MPH speedometer ... and it uses a different end than most GM vehicles ... but a factory GM speedometer cable for a 74 Monte Carlo with the cruise control unit mounted on the front inner fender ... fits perfect. It went from the transmission to the cruise control unit ... and another cable went from the unit to the Monte Carlo speedometer.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:24 PM

Last photo:

Try United Speedometer or abbott Enterprises. Both make custom speedo cable.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:16 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the infor. Chevy does make a lot of cables. But mine is for the '87 Mazda ext-cab B2000 with a 700r4 and a vortec v6 in it. I will check the speedometer end tomorrow.

I checked United speedometer. I think I will call them Monday and see what happens.

Abbott Enterprises seem to do only big trucks and commerical stuff. Right now I think United is the best choice.

The mazda cable is round at the drive end, about 1/8" or so,in diameter,(metric), with a piece pressed out the side, like a small key. The diameter is larger than the drive gear hole in the 700. It's possible that I can reshape it shape with a die grinder and make it work. If not I can still make one out of two.

Thanks all for the help.

Last edited by grumpy1; 08-25-2007 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:35 PM

Last photo:

Deuce, I think you are right about the GM cable. I looked at about 10 today at O'reilys. None were the right lenght though. But all looked the same as mine on the speedometer end.
I ground down the Mazda cable and then filed it until it fit right in. If I kept the end centered with the cable, everything will be ok, I hope.

I got a Lokar trans dip stick, I hope to install tomorrow after I fill the pan.
Just wanted to let you know, you were right on about the cables. Thanks.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.