Hot Rod Forum banner

Halibrand wheels

4K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  bighotroddin 
#1 ·
My friend bought a set of original wheels at a swap meet and the guy also had a set of knock offs but not along with them at the time of the sale. My friend was interested in them and the guy set one of them in mail for his inspection.

My question is if this is the real deal or a a reproduction? In the Halibrand name and the indention you can see machine marks form the cutter. The part itself looks like it is die cast rather then sand cast as the inside is smooth

See less See more
#5 ·
The wheels and knock offs are aluminum.

In the current Hot Rod magazine they have article on gassers and what makes them period correct. They mention something on the original Halibrands and the way to tell if they are from the late 50's is that the rim thickness is .500" vs .750" on the later ones. The DOT requred all wheels to be 3/4" for safety standards.

I will have to post some pics of the car if I get to my friends this weekend. I was there two weeks ago and the chassis was a roller and he just put the body on last weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.