Hallcraft wire wheel bearings - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2007, 06:33 AM

Last journal entry: 2 photoshoots.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Hallcraft wire wheel bearings

I got a tip on a pair of Hallcraft wirewheels that I am going to use on my bucket. ($300!) I want to replace the bearings and seals. Total Performance has them at $70 a set.(I think) I'm trying to get them local (Auto Zone, etc.) Does anyone know what size these bearings and seals are and if they are comparable to something I can get at an auto parts store? My spindles are early Ford.

Also, I want to have them powder coated. Has anyone had this done before? Did you have to break the entire wheel down? Like have the spokes and other parts removed and done separate.

I really like the look of wires on a T, But I don't want to drop a fortune on these.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2007, 07:53 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfeverfred
I got a tip on a pair of Hallcraft wirewheels that I am going to use on my bucket. ($300!) I want to replace the bearings and seals. Total Performance has them at $70 a set.(I think) I'm trying to get them local (Auto Zone, etc.) Does anyone know what size these bearings and seals are and if they are comparable to something I can get at an auto parts store? My spindles are early Ford.

Also, I want to have them powder coated. Has anyone had this done before? Did you have to break the entire wheel down? Like have the spokes and other parts removed and done separate.

I really like the look of wires on a T, But I don't want to drop a fortune on these.
Tfever

Bearings are standard - I can't give you the part numbers for Ford spindles as I used the TP spindles which are based on '49-54 Chevys but give TP a call and tell them what you want to know - they were always helpful for my questions.

Unfortunately you will have to break the wheels down for powder coat (can I assume the wheels you are looking at are pitted - mine had some pits regardless of how well I cleaned them). Spokes have to be loose in the wheel and do flex some while running and the wheels do occasionally need truing up( a real PITA) - powder coating will seal them.

I think there are better choices now then an old set of Hallcrafts - and you can only buy spokes from TP - they own Hallcraft. But with that said, if they are in nice shape, they do really set off a bucket.

Also, you are NOT limited to the crap Chinese tires that TP sells - I used a set of Michelins(too big) then changed to a set of Dunlop F-11 100/90H-18 motorcycle tires which were perfect.

The car is now long gone to a new home though I still do have a lot of info on file.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hallcrafts.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	17853  
Old 01-21-2007, 08:46 AM

Last photo:

Thanks, Ireland. That sounds like a lot more trouble than it's worth. I guess I'll stick with regular wheels and tires and save these for the next swap meet and try to get some of my money back. They sure do look nice on a bucket though.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Ireland. That sounds like a lot more trouble than it's worth. I guess I'll stick with regular wheels ... .
Good decision (IMHO tho)
Old 01-21-2007, 10:14 AM

Last photo:

Okay, I just found out they they are sealed to run tubeless tires. (I should have looked at the tires.... duh) They are also made to not need truing (supposedly). Now my concern is that the powdercoating process may ruin the silicone seal or will they possibly seal just as good?

This is going to require much thought. Is the look of wirewheels better than what I know WILL work? I hate thinking this hard.

Last edited by tfeverfred; 01-21-2007 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Okay, I just found out they they are sealed to run tubeless tires. (I should have looked at the tires.... duh) They are also made to not need truing. Now my concern is that the powdercoating process may ruin the silicone seal or will they possibly seal just as good?
Yes, the powder coating will ruin the silicone - the coating has to be baked at 375F to 400F. Evidently someone just siliconed the spoke ends to run tubeless but that still will not prevent the spokes from moving a bit. Secondly, if these spokes are, as every other Hallcraft I have seen, adjustable - there is always the possibility of the wheel going out true - especially if you were to, say, hit a big hole in the road or snag a curb - and I'm speaking from personal experience. You would then ruin the power coat.

Another consideration - spokes cross each other and do touch -that constant touching and rubbing is not condusive to PC.

Lastly - the chrome needs to be media blasted totally from the entire wheel surface - including the hub - tough to do right with spokes threaded. thru it and, again, touching each other.

Even if you wanted to paint these wheels, you still have to remove the chrome to base steel for paint longevity. Which entails despoking.

By the time you are done - you could probably have bought a set of Mickey Lauia's latest and greatest 16 or 18 inch Hallcraft wheels.

DEave
Old 01-21-2007, 11:16 AM

Last photo:

Yea, what you say makes good sense, Ireland. I wish I would have had the time to check things out before I got the offer for them. I always get bit in the butt when I don't do my research. I'll file this under "Learning Experiences" and go with the chrome steelies I had planned on.

I guess the good part is that I don't have a wife to complain about the Hallcraft paper weights I now own.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Yea, what you say makes good sense, Ireland. I wish I would have had the time to check things out before I got the offer for them. I always get bit in the butt when I don't do my research. I'll file this under "Learning Experiences" and go with the chrome steelies I had planned on.

I guess the good part is that I don't have a wife to complain about the Hallcraft paper weights I now own.
Something like the 2 extra Billet Specialties GTX01 $900 worth of wheels and Yokohama tires that I have. I mismeasured backspacing - oops !! And I have a wife to complain about a cellar full of extra (expensive) parts. But, thankfully seldom will - so will keep her.

Dave
Old 01-21-2007, 01:13 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:

What kind of shape are they in, I might be interested in them for the right price. Can you post up a pic or two
I also have some Cragar SST's 7" if you want to do a partial trade or something.
Thanks
Chet
Old 01-21-2007, 01:46 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23
What kind of shape are they in, I might be interested in them for the right price. Can you post up a pic or two
I also have some Cragar SST's 7" if you want to do a partial trade or something.
Thanks
Chet
One is in good shape. Minor pitting. The chrome is peeling off the rim on the other one. They will for sure need to be rechromed or coated or painted. They have Hallcraft calipers in good shape and mounting brakets to fit an early Ford spindle.

I'm going to take them to the powdercoaters tomorrow morning to see what they say. If it still looks hopeless I will sell them . You will have first choice. I'd settle for a $150 to ease the sting on this deal. I'll get pics if I sell them.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:40 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
One is in good shape. Minor pitting. The chrome is peeling off the rim on the other one. They will for sure need to be rechromed or coated or painted. They have Hallcraft calipers in good shape and mounting brakets to fit an early Ford spindle.

I'm going to take them to the powdercoaters tomorrow morning to see what they say. If it still looks hopeless I will sell them . You will have first choice. I'd settle for a $150 to ease the sting on this deal. I'll get pics if I sell them.
Thanks, I have them on my T-Bucket now and I wouldnt mind a spare that is usable.
Let me know
Old 01-22-2007, 05:56 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23
Thanks, I have them on my T-Bucket now and I wouldnt mind a spare that is usable.
Let me know
Well, the powder coaters can coat them whether I break them down or not for$125. My boss, who rides motorcycles says he knows how to break them down and retrue them. So, I'm going to keep them. Lucky for me I have time and I'm not in a hurry. I guess I'll have to drop $70 to Total to get the bearings and seals. I just can't help knowing that I could save some money if I knew what bearings are compatable to an early Ford spindle. Or does it even matter? Tomorrow, I'll take them to Autozone and see if they can match them. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.