Hand cleaner, What do recommend? - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2008, 05:19 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I've found that "Worx" powdered hand cleaner works very well. No petroleum products at all, and is very effective. Does not dry your skin, and you don't need too much to do a good job.

http://www.worxbest.com/us/products/worx.html

Snap On sells it, but it is MUCH cheaper to buy it yourself. With 3 guys using it multiple times per day, a 4.5 lb container lasted 2 1/2 - 3 months.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2008, 09:31 PM

Last photo:

Hand Cleaner

I've found these to do a really great jobs of cleaning up with no lingering odors and they don't dry your hands. Some of the best I've found, they even take paint off my hands.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SCRUBSfam_1.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	31057  
Old 07-09-2008, 10:26 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

I have several mechanic customers that won't use Permatex Fast Orange (smooth or pumice) for the very reason that so many have already stated ... it dries and cracks your hands.

I very recently came across 5-Star Xtreme Hand Cleaner at a bodyshop account, used a little myself ... and asked how the guys liked it, and they did.

Keep in mind that body guys probably have the driest hands on earth as things like paint dust and laquer thinner will pull the moisture right out of your hands very quickly!

I still have a 1/2 bottle of Fast Orange left, and it is probably fine for a guy like me that doesn't use it several times per day. When it's gone, I just might try the 5-sar stuff.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:18 PM

I think that almost everyone here knows, but in the original question he asked about latex gloves.
Latex is not an effective barrier to petroleum solvents as it breaks down quickly. Also, many people in the healthcare industry have developed latex allergies from use of latex gloves.
So the bottom line is buy only nitrile gloves for the shop.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:49 AM

Hand Cleaner

Look up your closest Zep distributer and ask for cherry bomb. Smells good, doesnt dry you out and it works. Or look up the Dura-Block company and look for their soap... Dura-Scrub. I do body work and it does a really good job of getting rid of two-part adhesives, and dried filler.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:29 PM

Last wiki edit: Hand cleaner Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

i've used Goop, GoJo, Fast Orange, Snap-On, & a number of others i can't remember.
they either didn't clean very good or would dry my hands out. then there is the smell. Goop & GoJo being the worst. they clean ok, but dry my hands out so bad that in cold
dry weather after just a week i can make a fist & my hands start bleeding. a month of using them in the summer does the same. using hand lotion after each time i use them helps, but not enough to stop the cracking.
for the last 15 years or so, i've used almost nothing but Zep Reach hand cleaner. for me it works better than the others & isn't near as hard on my skin as most of the others. it even removes tar. in cold dry weather it does start to dry my hands out after a few weeks but i can keep it in check with some hand lotion every night.
about 6 months ago i heard about Cherry Bomb & talked the boss into buying some. it cleans almost as good as Reach does & it makes my hands softer, plus it smells great.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:33 PM

Last photo:

If your hands are irritated, blistering, itching, cracking, etc., get some Acid Mantle Cream (AKA A-Mantle Cream). Any pharmacy can order it if they don't have it in stock.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:56 PM

Funny that I found this thread.

I came to this forum and signed up to find a hand cleaner that someone dropped off to our shop. Hand Kind Scrub. Can't friggin' find it!

I have tried everything, Gojo, Snap On, Fast Orange, TKO, Cherry Bomb, Zep, and on and on. We get into milling grease on parts to fibrous ceramic insulating materials and Welding fabrication. The best product we have ever used is called Hand Kind Scrub. Blows away literally EVERYTHING!! I have never used anything that cleans that good and it actually makes your skin feel good after using it.

This guy dropped it off to our shop as a sample about three weeks ago and everyone flipped over how good it worked. I know the guy that dropped it off was the guy that developed it so I'm going to guess that he's just getting started. Problem is I cannot get in touch with the company or find the product anywhere. If I do, I will post the info here so you all can try it. It is the best I have ever used, period. It really is that good.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:36 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

A bit of a follow-up to my last post (#48)...

I've been using the 5-star product on an almost daily basis at work as well as at home in my own garage. I still don't use it anywhere near as often as I'm sure that many of you guys might ... but I've got to say that *I* really like it.

It's pleasantly-scented ... (it smells a little like bubble-gum), and has some pumice in it. It dissolves paint, grease, oil, dirt, etc very quickly ... much better than some of the harsher hand-cleaners like Trounce. I have a bottle of it under the sink in the main bathroom, and haven't gotten into trouble with the wife for leaving greasy residue in the sink.

The real test?
Wash your greasy hands in the sink. Scrub a while, let the pumice do it's thing. Let the water out of the sink, and then rinse the "fallout" down.
Have a look at your hands...
Yup, they're clean.

Now dry them off with that white towel.

OK, OK ... I usually wash *one more time* with ordinary hand soap and rinse before doing that.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:04 AM

Last photo:

My all time favorite is a product called Micro Brush Hand Scrub. It's spendy, so I don't buy it, but I worked for a few places that had it.

Now that I have to pay for it, I use ZEP Shell Shock. It is soy based with walnut shell grit. Works fast and doesn't dry out my hands.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:57 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I like the ladies,so I gotta save my pennies.I found out at an early age cars and girls go hand and hand(pun intended)Also nice clean soft hands are important.stinky hands BEFORE a date is a nono.So I use HF gloves to mix and paint cars... afterwards, if needed I can use a painters soap with softening additives in the latex gloves and put them on. but usualy when I do mechanical work,or I cut steel, I got some real nice woodworking gloves,made by ROC "very nice" they are resistant to cuts,even razor blades they are extremely thin too(I highly recomend them),then I use dawn dishwashing soap,it works great for grease and if you put it in the latex gloves and put them on for a while,it really works well, plus it keeps your hands in nice shape.years ago I could care less and my hands were so rough I could put a run in a pair of stockings just by rubbing a girls leg,that'll get you nowhere fast (but they do like getting an expensive pair of stockings)I dont know what the big deal is but someday I'll try on a pair (hey Joe Namath can do it,so can I).Dawn (and i'm talking about Tony Orlando's)works great for getting grease outta yer hair too.So if you aint real good lookin a great car really helps but a great car and clean hands gets.gets the ladies every time,ya dont even need a six-pac.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:21 PM

Last photo:

It's been mentioned before, but Tarkelp works great. Best thing about it is that it's less than $2 per tub from our Chinese buddies (Harbor Freight).
Old 08-23-2009, 02:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

Wiki'd this here: Hand cleaner.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:38 AM

Last photo:

I found a hand cleaner at menards, it is orange..... takes the oil/grease off good. I like it....
Old 08-25-2009, 08:46 AM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrot
It's been mentioned before, but Tarkelp works great. Best thing about it is that it's less than $2 per tub from our Chinese buddies (Harbor Freight).
Thats what I was getting ready to suggest, I didnt realize that HF sold it, I bought a tub sometime back at big lots and am down to about half a tub and was worried about not being able to find it.
Thanks
Shane

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.