Hand cleaner, What do recommend? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2008, 03:01 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hand cleaner, What do recommend?

What are the best hand cleaners brand out there?
What brand of Latex gloves would recommend? Where do you buy them, do they last long?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2008, 03:11 PM

Last journal entry: Engine Compartment
Last photo:

The best stuff I ever used came from snap on but I'm sure it's made for them by someone, but I usually use gojo.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:31 PM
72 grabber 51F-1 65 chevystang

Last photo:

I don't really know on latex gloves. I use gojo fast orange and it works good. I like it cause it has something that is gritty in it and it seems to cut grease better
Old 06-15-2008, 05:10 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Borax, Ajax, Bon Ami and powder soap is what I use.. whichever is handy is what I grab. it all works good... used to use Brasavol which is actully a facial clenser for acne, but has sand grit in it which makes it work nice.. Made by Stiefel Labs but IDK if they still make it
Old 06-15-2008, 05:22 PM

Last journal entry: New Carb
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fords
I don't really know on latex gloves. I use gojo fast orange and it works good. I like it cause it has something that is gritty in it and it seems to cut grease better
I use the same stuff, works pretty good and it always seems to be on sale at the parts store.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:17 PM
Nothing like a Big Block

Nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight, cheap and work good. You'll have to change them a couple times on each job, but they are cheap enough it is not a problem.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:09 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolrods
The best stuff I ever used came from snap on but I'm sure it's made for them by someone, but I usually use gojo.
Same exact here, I use Lava too. As far as the gloves go, I use either the Shopko store brand or the H.F. gloves (for use in putting putty in trim holes). However, I got a free sample box of nitrile gloves from my local auto parts store (customer appreciation days-gotta love them....). These are made by Microflex, and the same gloves I had given to me are found here....

I'll let you know how they shaped up in a couple days.

In a while, Chet.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:35 PM

Last photo:

I like Fast Orange better than GoJo because it seems the GoJo is hard to get off! As for the pumice formula not only do I find that the smooth actually seems to clean better the gritty pumice will make your hands dry and raw while the smooth will leave the skin a lot softer. Now before the joking starts let me tell you that dry and cracked hands are no laughing matter, I know from experience! I always thought the pumice formula was better until a mechanic from a Caterpillar Tractor shop had me try both types and he was right the smooth really does work better and in a few weeks my hands had healed and were in better shape, MUCH better shape, than they had been in twenty years, I will never use pumice again.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:00 PM

Last photo:

The only reason I use fast orange instead of regular gojo is that when I use regular gojo it leaves my hands smelling real bad
Old 06-15-2008, 09:12 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fords
The only reason I use fast orange instead of regular gojo is that when I use regular gojo it leaves my hands smelling real bad

That's what everyone in my shop said, the joke was that you had to have Fast Orange to get the GoJo off! The Orange GoJo is somewhat like Fast Orange but not exactly and even though we could get it cheaper I just bought what the guys wanted and that was Fast Orange.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:14 PM
Experienced Amateur

Last wiki edit: Automobile body and frame rotisserie
Wiki Edits: 2

Outta instinct I almost threw a couple jokes out there, oldred lol. That is til I remembered this stuff that a friend of mine who runs a print shop here gave my wife. It was similar to Fast Orange, which is what I use, but it was definitely smoother with no grit. He gave it to her cuz she told him about some "unremoveable" stain in a nice shirt and shed tried everything on it but he assured her itd get it out. And he was definitely right. So I used it for cleaning my hands (once I found out where shed hidden it) and I can honestly say I never found anything it wouldnt remove. I cant remember the name of it cuz it was many years ago, but Im sure if ya called a couple of print shops theyd tell ya, cuz there aint much thats harder to remove than printers ink
Old 06-15-2008, 09:17 PM

Last photo:

I'd like to have some of that hand cleaner. Alot of times I can scrub my hands with gojo, lava soap and there is still a layer of dirt on them
Old 06-15-2008, 09:47 PM

Last photo:

That sounds like the smooth formula Fast Orange. The smooth formula is harder to find than the gritty pumice stuff but it sure works better IMO.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:04 PM

Last photo:

Fast Orange and Goop/GoJo irritate my hands sorta like poison ivy, so I use WD-40. Spray it on hands, rub it in real well, and then wipe it off with a fairly clean terry-cloth towel. This makes them clean enough to go get the parts you forgot without nastying up the steering wheel.

Finish off with regular old soap, with a cheap toothbrush for under the nails and the occasional stubborn spot.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:40 AM

Last photo:

Ok oldred heres my feminine side, I'm almost 62 so my hands are starting to look like one of my old saddle bags. If my hands are really greasy(usually) I'll wipe them off with a rag and some thinner ( I know not good). Then I'll wash them real good with Fast Orange and a small bristle brush, then regular soap and then I'll use my wifes "Gold Bond Ultimate Healing Skin Therapy Lotion". This stuff really soaks in so I'll do it 2 or 3 times so the hands don't feel like sand paper. It really works good and doesn't leave you smelling like a "Hoe".

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.