Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Hand cleaner, What do recommend?
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2008, 09:19 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 460beast
after reading the wd40 post I guess I wont use brake parts cleaner anymore...

This is true for any petroleum solvent, do you really want to absorb petroleum distillates into your bloodstream? I know paint thinners, the urethanes, lacquer and enamel thinners can be absorbed in fairly large amounts and it does not take much of that stuff to make you sick, I would imagine that brake cleaners would be at least as bad or even worse. Something like WD40 may take a larger amount to show immediate effects and a person is not likely to get sick from cleaning his hands with it a few times but over a period of time who knows what could happen. I for one would not intentionally put something on my skin that is going to be rapidly absorbed with unknown consequences, for sure absorbing petroleum distillates into your blood stream is not going to be entirely harmless even if you don't get sick immediately. Think about it- once that stuff is in your system it will have to be removed through the kidneys and liver and if you let it absorb through your skin, even on your hands, that is exactly where it goes.