Hand operated e-brake - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 12:43 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hand operated e-brake

I just realized that it's going to be a pain in the butt to have to press and release the e brake pedal all the time when i get the 4 speed in the car. I dont usually leave the car in gear when parking cause there's very few hills here so i prefer to just use the e-brake. Has anyone gotten rid of the pedal and mouted something in/ near the console, between the seats successfully? I've seen some "kits" but they are for of a race purpose, they're ugly *** hell. Should i just leave it be and get used to the pedal or what?
Edit: Here's the one i found. I was thinking i could just have it come up through the console but it will be on the wrong side

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 02:07 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog7373 View Post
I just realized that it's going to be a pain in the butt to have to press and release the e brake pedal all the time when i get the 4 speed in the car. I dont usually leave the car in gear when parking cause there's very few hills here so i prefer to just use the e-brake. Has anyone gotten rid of the pedal and mouted something in/ near the console, between the seats successfully? I've seen some "kits" but they are for of a race purpose, they're ugly *** hell. Should i just leave it be and get used to the pedal or what?
Edit: Here's the one i found. I was thinking i could just have it come up through the console but it will be on the wrong side
I've never had a problem using the pedal type e-brake in my GM cars. If you REALLY don't like that (which surprises me because most people have stronger legs than arms) then consider an under-dash style T-handle e-brake like that used on the early Mustangs.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:33 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,153 Times in 952 Posts
When we built my youngest son's truck, I wanted to use a Line-Lock in the brake lines for a parking brake and to hold the truck in the water box for a burnout to heat the slicks, but couldn't use a commercially-available electrically-operated unit because they will overheat and fail as a parking brake. I chose a lever-operated hydraulic ball valve and mounted it between the seats. You can use all four wheel brakes or only the rear brakes or only the front brakes, depending on how you plumb it. I installed it to operate only the front brakes so that it worked well in the water box and as a parking brake. The valve remains open and all brakes operate normally until you press the foot brake and turn the handle 90 degrees. Then you have locked hydraulic pressure into the line and you have a parking brake until you turn the handle the other way 90 degrees and release the fluid in the line to the front brakes.
These installation instructions from Allstar will show you how to plumb the valve.......disregard the electrical part of the instructions......
Use a hydraulic valve rated for a minimum of 2,500 psi.
http://www.allstarperformance.com/do..._Line_Lock.pdf

Last edited by techinspector1; 11-02-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

That's a pretty go idea tech! I was going to do line lock on the front tires for when i take it to the track anyway too.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:33 AM
Dimwit

Last journal entry: S10 fabrication (cont'd)
Last photo:

Console e-brake

When my son and I restored my dad's little coupe, we used a console e-brake handle from an 80s Camaro. It's a simple design and uses a vertical flange with two bolts to hold it in place. Here's a photo of it installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	car28.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	68940  
Old 11-03-2012, 10:46 AM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

That's also a good idea! Shouldn't be to difficult to find either. Well i guess and e-brake handle can work. The tricky part is getting it to blend in with the interior.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.