Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Hand Rubbing Clear Coat
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 12:43 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrr View Post
I just finished putting two coats of ppg clear on my mercury. Then I sanded the whole car with 800 grit wet dry. I then applied a third coat, and I am sanding with 1500 grit. My question is what grit should I use next on my hood louvers and can I hand rub them instead of buffing? I'm sure I would burn the edges if I used a buffer. Thanks, Ron Randolph
If you are 100% sure you want to buff them I would tape the edges and then throw another piece on top that slightly overlaps more onto the louver Then I'd sand with 1500 then 2000-2500. Then I'd remove the top layer of tape and buff the levour with a mini buffer and with the first layer of tape that was just over the edges. Just buff slow and roll your edges, or make sure the side of the buffer where pressure is applied is running off of edges, not towards them where it can catch an edge. Be mindful of knowing where your buffer can get into before sanding. Hand sanding should be out of the question when you consider the price for a HF mini buffer or a 3" pad kit for a drill.