Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Hand Rubbing Clear Coat
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 07:15 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
If you are 100% sure you want to buff them I would tape the edges and then throw another piece on top that slightly overlaps more onto the louver Then I'd sand with 1500 then 2000-2500. Then I'd remove the top layer of tape and buff the levour with a mini buffer and with the first layer of tape that was just over the edges. Just buff slow and roll your edges, or make sure the side of the buffer where pressure is applied is running off of edges, not towards them where it can catch an edge. Be mindful of knowing where your buffer can get into before sanding. Hand sanding should be out of the question when you consider the price for a HF mini buffer or a 3" pad kit for a drill.
Tech69 is correct on all counts, being mindful of edges, where the buffer can reach etc. is great advice...if I can just add the word caution as well as mindful, you can hand polish and I wouldn't use any grit coarser that 2500 for this method, for ease of hand polishing (if there is such a thing as ease of hand polishing) it may even be good to use 3000 grit and be prepared to spend a great deal of time when hand polishing.