Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   Hand Rubbing Clear Coat (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hand-rubbing-clear-coat-226179.html)

jamesrr 11-16-2012 09:03 PM

Hand Rubbing Clear Coat

I just finished putting two coats of ppg clear on my mercury. Then I sanded the whole car with 800 grit wet dry. I then applied a third coat, and I am sanding with 1500 grit. My question is what grit should I use next on my hood louvers and can I hand rub them instead of buffing? I'm sure I would burn the edges if I used a buffer. Thanks, Ron Randolph

tech69 11-17-2012 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesrr (Post 1612155)
I just finished putting two coats of ppg clear on my mercury. Then I sanded the whole car with 800 grit wet dry. I then applied a third coat, and I am sanding with 1500 grit. My question is what grit should I use next on my hood louvers and can I hand rub them instead of buffing? I'm sure I would burn the edges if I used a buffer. Thanks, Ron Randolph

If you are 100% sure you want to buff them I would tape the edges and then throw another piece on top that slightly overlaps more onto the louver Then I'd sand with 1500 then 2000-2500. Then I'd remove the top layer of tape and buff the levour with a mini buffer and with the first layer of tape that was just over the edges. Just buff slow and roll your edges, or make sure the side of the buffer where pressure is applied is running off of edges, not towards them where it can catch an edge. Be mindful of knowing where your buffer can get into before sanding. Hand sanding should be out of the question when you consider the price for a HF mini buffer or a 3" pad kit for a drill.

69 widetrack 11-17-2012 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tech69 (Post 1612192)
If you are 100% sure you want to buff them I would tape the edges and then throw another piece on top that slightly overlaps more onto the louver Then I'd sand with 1500 then 2000-2500. Then I'd remove the top layer of tape and buff the levour with a mini buffer and with the first layer of tape that was just over the edges. Just buff slow and roll your edges, or make sure the side of the buffer where pressure is applied is running off of edges, not towards them where it can catch an edge. Be mindful of knowing where your buffer can get into before sanding. Hand sanding should be out of the question when you consider the price for a HF mini buffer or a 3" pad kit for a drill.

Tech69 is correct on all counts, being mindful of edges, where the buffer can reach etc. is great advice...if I can just add the word caution as well as mindful, you can hand polish and I wouldn't use any grit coarser that 2500 for this method, for ease of hand polishing (if there is such a thing as ease of hand polishing) it may even be good to use 3000 grit and be prepared to spend a great deal of time when hand polishing.

302 Z28 11-18-2012 08:19 AM

I did not sand and buff the louvers on the hood of my 34. I made sure the final coat of clear on the louvers was super smooth to avoid having to sand and buff....it worked out great.

Vince