Hand vacuum pump - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2010, 10:47 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hand vacuum pump

Any suggestions on a good vacuum pump? I first bought a solid brass one from HF because it looked to be better built than some others I had seen at 3 times the price, at $18.00 it turned out to be a total POS with the bore being waaaaay too big for the piston. They had packed the darn thing with heavy grease just to make it seal enough to work for a few minutes and a few minutes is all it lasted! Next I bought a "Mityvac" at a local auto parts for about $30 and it lasted a little longer than the HF junk before it too scored the walls of the plastic bore and started leaking around the piston so would not hold what little vacuum it would draw. I then found a "no-name" pump at another auto parts store that was sold specifically for bleeding brakes which I do occasionally, still no luck as the darn thing did the same as the others in a short time-Another $25 wasted. I need a good vacuum pump I can depend on for testing engine sensors/parts, A/C components (individual components not system vacuuming) and occasionally bleeding brakes.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2010, 09:04 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
Any suggestions on a good vacuum pump? I first bought a solid brass one from HF because it looked to be better built than some others I had seen at 3 times the price, at $18.00 it turned out to be a total POS with the bore being waaaaay too big for the piston. They had packed the darn thing with heavy grease just to make it seal enough to work for a few minutes and a few minutes is all it lasted! Next I bought a "Mityvac" at a local auto parts for about $30 and it lasted a little longer than the HF junk before it too scored the walls of the plastic bore and started leaking around the piston so would not hold what little vacuum it would draw. I then found a "no-name" pump at another auto parts store that was sold specifically for bleeding brakes which I do occasionally, still no luck as the darn thing did the same as the others in a short time-Another $25 wasted. I need a good vacuum pump I can depend on for testing engine sensors/parts, A/C components (individual components not system vacuuming) and occasionally bleeding brakes.
I've had a MityVac for many years now, use it as often as anyone, I suppose. Never have had the first problem w/it. If there's a "trick or tip" involved, it is to not run anything through it except air. Use a separate reservoir for bleeding, etc. so no fluids are going through it. Should last fine.

I also have a brass 'no-name' vacuum pump, but to be honest, I've not yet had a reason to use it- so can't comment on how well it holds up.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:47 AM
Experienced Amateur

Last wiki edit: Automobile body and frame rotisserie
Wiki Edits: 2

Same here oldred, I have a little MityVac and have never had any problems with it. Like cobalt said, anything other than air goin through it aint good (even though Ive accidently sucked brake fluid up through mine and it still works fine) Maybe you just got a bad one? Id try returning it for a replacement cuz even though theyre plastic and seem flimsy, theyre actually pretty well-made.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:28 PM

Last photo:

The Mityvac I have has never been connected to fluids so it has been dry. When it first quit working I opened it up and everything inside was covered in a white plastic-like powder, I cleaned it out and everything was ok until I used it again to check an A/C core I was repairing and it did the same thing again. I opened it up again and this time not only was the plastic residue back but the barrel walls are so scored it will not pump full vacuum or hold what it does pump. It has been too long since I bought it (but used it very little) and too far away to return, I might try another one however.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:23 PM

Last photo:

I also have a mityvac, I got the MV8500 kit

http://www.mityvac.com/pages/products_hvpk.asp#MV8500

I have only used it a hand full of times (Brake bleeding mostly) but the last time I used it I wanted to see if a fuel pressure regulator was good so I pulled a vacuum and let it sit for 15 minutes and it was at exactly the same vacuum as I had set it which surprised me since I figured that even if the regulator was good the pump might loose a little vacuum. Maybe you just got a bad one? After doing some research it seemed this was the hand vacuum pump most people recommended so I don't know what to tell you about other options.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:24 AM

Last photo:

If anyone can find a bad one it will be me, I have been doing a bit of searching on the Mityvac and it seems I am somewhat alone in my experience with them so maybe I will just buy another one and try it again.

If they only made two of the darn things defective I probably will buy the other one,

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.