Handling Humidity - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2014, 04:51 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Handling Humidity

Hey everybody! It's been a while since I've posted... long cold winter kept me out of the unheated garage.

I know my garage gets super damp in the spring- as in concrete floor is wet and even puddly and water is NOT coming in through the overhead doors (2 single car size doors) or service door.

Out of curiosity last night I took the humidity meter from the basement (yup one dehumidifier lives there already) to the garage, and today after work I checked it. It was pegged, seriously.

Has anyone used a dehumidifier to help keep the humidity down to reasonable levels in a garage? It seems to me it'd be ok until after the spring thaw/rains let up.

Thanks,
Matt

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2014, 08:10 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Is the floor bare concrete?Is moisture pushing through the slab?

Last edited by Pats55; 03-10-2014 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:48 PM

Last photo:

It's Michigan...surrounded by large water on three sides.
I tried a de-humidifier in the toy shop but a house sized one did little more than overfill the tank most days and really no difference of interior humidity,, but this is in a large area.. Un insulated steel bldg. Freezer in winter-steamer in summer... Was -20 deg inside many mornings this winter and made it to 106 deg several times, with over 90% humidity, last summer. Steel roof with 5500 sq. ft of sun bake.. It would great if I could save all that heat til January..
Old 03-11-2014, 07:45 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pats55 View Post
Is the floor bare concrete?Is moisture pushing through the slab?
Bare, cracked concrete from settling a little. Of course it was built in '69 so it's been around a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com View Post
It's Michigan...surrounded by large water on three sides.
I tried a de-humidifier in the toy shop but a house sized one did little more than overfill the tank most days and really no difference of interior humidity,, but this is in a large area.. Un insulated steel bldg. Freezer in winter-steamer in summer... Was -20 deg inside many mornings this winter and made it to 106 deg several times, with over 90% humidity, last summer. Steel roof with 5500 sq. ft of sun bake.. It would great if I could save all that heat til January..
Mine is a "two stall" garage. Park on the left, and your door is going into the wall if it's bigger than a Civic. Park on the right, and your passenger door is going to punch a hole in the wall as well if the car is bigger than a Civic. I'd really classify it as a "generous one car garage". It started life as a carport and at some point in time it got walled in, so it's drywalled as well but I doubt if it's insulated.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:50 PM

Last photo:

I have similar problems with moisture coming up through the slab. I use a Carjacket. Carjackets come with packs of absorbent that goes inside the Carjacket when you zip it up. Have never had moisture inside the Carjacket.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:21 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last photo:

I've got a fan blowing air out in the window. Let's see what happens. Being a warm day, the humidity spiked (as expected). Hopefully the "exhaust" fan helps. For a known supply of "intake" air the garage doors are open just a crack with laid down 2x4s.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:01 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last photo:

Just an update for those of us with really humid garages (as in wet concrete, even a little standing water in a corner like me), the fan in the window is helping, the humidity meter is reading 80+ percent, but it's better than maxed out. Hmmm...
Old 03-15-2014, 07:09 PM

Last photo:

Michigan may be surrounded by water on three sides, but it's not humid. I know humidity--I've lived most of my life in Iowa.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:53 AM

Last photo:

Living here in Tennessee where it can be 70F one day in January and snow that night, or be 25F in the morning and 70F by noon like it has done all this winter..

The other day I opened my garage which is a 54X30 metal building with R7 insulation. After a few minutes I started to notice this light dew on my cars and everything else in my garage. I suppose from the rapid temperature increase from opening the garage door.

Other than that I can't say I have too many issues with moisture issues. And it get's very humid here in the southeast.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:13 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseabolt View Post
Living here in Tennessee where it can be 70F one day in January and snow that night, or be 25F in the morning and 70F by noon like it has done all this winter..

The other day I opened my garage which is a 54X30 metal building with R7 insulation. After a few minutes I started to notice this light dew on my cars and everything else in my garage. I suppose from the rapid temperature increase from opening the garage door.

Other than that I can't say I have too many issues with moisture issues. And it get's very humid here in the southeast.
yes, it's just condensation. When warmer humid air encounters something cold it brings the water phase out of gaseous state into liquid phase. Which is why you get condensation in your bathroom on everything while you take a shower. If your bathroom (or shop) was really warm before turning on the hot water, you wouldn't get condensation.

That condensation is a booger though on your car, because it's just like you hosed it down with water and let it sit. Makes a lot of rust headaches for me on my engine in particular.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:17 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

keep the door closed.

it's tempting to throw open the doors on a warm day to warm up the shop.
cold concrete/tools/cast iron table saw + warm humid outdoor air = condensation on everything
The Following User Says Thank You to ogre For This Useful Post:
ChevelleSS_LS6 (03-18-2014)

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.