Hot Rod Forum banner

Hands burning after welding??

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  gROCERYgEtteR 
#1 ·
I admit I am not an experienced welder. This is the first time I have welded in 15 years. I am borrowing a 110v gas MIG from a friend. I am very cautious making sure I have a good ground on the part at all times. I bought a new set of very nice lined welding gloves.

After welding a little while, I noticed my thumb and forefinger I used to hold and trigger the gun was beginning to feel hot and tingling. They look fine, but several minutes after I'm done I still feel it. They aren't red or anything. I was thinking perhaps I was having an alergic reaction to something inside the new gloves. Strange coincidence or is there some unwritten welding cautions about this I never heard of?

#3 ·
Frank, STOP using those gloves! I have the same problem and I bet if you check you will find those things are imported. Some chemicals used to tan the leather on those imported gloves can cause severe reactions in some people. The reaction I had took WEEKS to heal so I am careful about what I buy now. If they have a strong odor be very suspicious of them and if you have even a minor reaction change to another pair of a different kind immediately. Some people might think it funny to make so much fuss over a pair of gloves but if they ever have a reaction like I am talking about they will find it anything but funny!

#4 ·
I had not though about the imported glove thing...Thats good info to know. All the welding gloves that I have are high dollar and made in USA. I use elk hide gloves because they are real soft and do not seem to get stiff with age like the cow hide and pig skin ones do.

#5 ·
I don't know where mine were made. Glad I didn't have any kind of reaction! I had to buy 3 pairs: my wife confiscated one pair to deal with her cactus collection and my son grabbed another to use when he runs the shredder.

Mine are beginning to get a little battered so I will need to replace them soon. Thanks for the warning, oldred!

#8 ·
If you are mig welding you don't need a glove on that hand anyway, I have 12 right hand gloves and all my lefts are burnt up. If you are right handed hold the gun, well like a gun and your left hand will cradle your right hand, unless it is a mad cow thing because from what I have heard you don't have much longer to worry.

#10 ·
How old are you? If you want to weld it is all part of the gig. If you get a chance stop by a local fab shop, go in there and see how many of those guys look like sissy's to you, look at their hands, look at their skin, don't stare because you might get knocked out, and then ask yourself I wonder if this guy cares that he is bleeding and has two pounds of dirt on his sunburned neck? Oh and see if he has all his fingers, and see if his thumb prints are burnt off. I he hasn't walked away from you yet see if he wants a cigarette and don't be surprised when he rips the filter off.

#12 ·
Well good for you, i think it is fun as well, if you do it for fun it can be quite relaxing.Ya don't worry about it OSHA has done there part to make it safer than it used to be, and an old guy told me one time don't be afraid to use some good lotion after you weld it will help protect your skin from serious damage, even a little sunblock wouldn't hurt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.