Happy New year/ El Camino 305 to 350 timing marker - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2012, 01:40 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Happy New year/ El Camino 305 to 350 timing marker

Hey Guys I Am Puting A 350 Were The 305 Use To Be. The New Engin Did Not Come With The Timing Marker. Can I Just Use The TIMING CHAIN COVER Off The 305 WITH MARKER THAT IS ATTACHED TO IT. Will The Marks Work The Same As They Did On The Old Sb..on The 350.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 01:53 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_and_slow
Hey Guys I Am Puting A 350 Were The 305 Use To Be. The New Engin Did Not Come With The Timing Marker. Can I Just Use The TIMING CHAIN COVER Off The 305 WITH MARKER THAT IS ATTACHED TO IT. Will The Marks Work The Same As They Did On The Old Sb..on The 350.
That depends on if the TDC line on the damper are the same on both engines.

HERE is a Wiki page on the differences between the most common damper lines and tabs used on the SBC.

DETERMINING TDC will allow you to be sure the timing tab and damper are correctly indicating TDC. Once you have the engine at TDC you can put a new mark on the damper to align w/TDC on the tab you are using.

MAKE A TIMING TAPE to see what the total timing is, w/o needing to use a dial back timing light. You can also buy a timing tape, get one that matches the diameter of your damper.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:10 AM

Timing Marker 0n New 305

THANKS..I WAS LEAD TO BELEAVE THAT THE TIMING COVER OFF THE OLD MOTOR WOULD WORK WITHOUT ANY CHANGES ALSO i AM CHANGING THE DAMPER TO A NEW ONE..SO I WILL HAVE TO THINK ABOUT THE ADVICE. ONE MORE THING. DOES THAT COVER JUST SLIP OFF OR DO YOU NEED TO REMOVE ANYTHING OTHER THEN THE DAMPER AND BOLTS.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:00 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Lose the caps, no need to shout. Im not sure what you mean by "slip off"
If you meant the timing cover to remove it you must remove the damper, remove the first five bolts on each side of the oil pan then loosen the rest and lower the oil pan. Next remove the timing cover bolts and the cover comes off. You'll want to replace the seal in the cover if you plan to reuse it.
If I were you I would use a eight inch damper with the 2 o'clock timing mark. Then I would get a chrome timing tab for eight inch balancer at the parts store that bolts on at the 2 o'clock position. Lastly I would buy a eight inch proform balancer cover. This cover can be had in many different colors. Plus it has the full timing scale on it in large size making it easy to set the base timing and full advance timing. However, if you buy the 2 o'clock chrome timing tab from the parts store you wont need to change covers.
When you get the new balancer rent the correct installation tool. The fit is supposed to be press fit tight plus it uses a bolt. Lube up the seal in the timing cover and the smooth side of the balancer. After you install the new balancer torque the bolt to 60 ft lbs of torque.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.