Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodders' Lounge (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodders-lounge/)
-   -   Harbor Freight (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/harbor-freight-167230.html)

eloc431962 10-24-2009 11:37 AM

Harbor Freight

Well i am going to Harbor Freight here in a bit, Have one about 40 miles or so from the house and i have never been, So i gotta go check it out i never went cause i always thought they were just junk tools but i have heard some good stuff too. So i am gonna find out wish me luck don't know what i will come back with, But i know me and tools gotta have them :D :cool: .....Cole

matt167 10-24-2009 12:12 PM

lots of stuff they have cheap. I was at my localest 1 yesterday checking the price on oxygen tanks, and picked up 2 boxes of assorted shrink tubing ( 18' per box ) for $5 each..

and looked at the tool boxes. Storehouse brand is flimsy crap, but the US General is really nice

eloc431962 10-24-2009 12:16 PM

Yea i have bought a few things through the years, But i bought off a truck, I got some vise grips did'nt last a week but i got some pry bars and still have them they are decent , I just never been to their warehouse till today.....Cole

wretched ratchet 10-24-2009 12:23 PM

Yeah, I think that is probably the general nature of the beast - - - some of their stuff will be good enuff quality and will do you a good job, where some of the other stuff is just plain junk - - - I've also bought some things from them and so far it's about 50/50 but I would still buy certain stuff from them again.

NEW INTERIORS 10-24-2009 05:36 PM

I went check out two car show's today,, And had to make a stop at our Harbor Freight here where I live today.. :mwink: Great mind's think a like.. :thumbup:

classicautoresto 10-25-2009 12:30 PM

The one thing I can say is they take care of defects. I use some of their items at the shop with good luck. Drill press is about 8 years old and I use it almost daily, bench buffer works great, and my small fluxcore mig came from there 3 years ago(I use it mainly for out of shop uses). If you get the warranty you're covered for 2-3 years, split the cost of the item and warranty across 3 years and you have minimal yearly investment. I love the Pittsburgh composite ratchets, lightweight and work great!

Bad Rat 10-25-2009 12:55 PM

I buy quite a bit of stuff from HF,, usually the 4" grinders,, 15$ and a 5$ waranty, and when of IF they go **** up, they replace it no Questions asked, another 5$ warranty and that origonal grinder will last for years.. I have probably 6 of them right now, with all different setups,, cut off, grinder.ETC

I have one of their Motorcycle lifts, and it is just as good as any of the other more expensive ones I;ve used,, check out some of East woods stuff,, identical items for 2/3 more money,, just painted a different color, with their sticker on it..

not too sure about their hand tools, as I don't think they are tempered, screw drivers are junk,,

Check out their web sites,, they are the same layout, just way different prices

http://www.harborfreight.com/

http://www.eastwood.com/

texastomeh 10-25-2009 03:42 PM

I have had pretty good luck with most of the HF stuff that I have used. As with all things, there have been a few awfull disappointments:

1. Kit of different sizes of automotive hose clamps (JUUUNK!!) :pain: :boxing:
2. Cordless battery operated soldering iron (WHAT WAS I THINKING??) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
3. 2 1/2" Plumber's Pipe Threader Kit (Dies too soft) :pain: :pain:

texastomeh

elliott 10-25-2009 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texastomeh
2. Cordless battery operated soldering iron (WHAT WAS I THINKING??) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Was that one of the "Cold Heat" things?

I love their $4 corded 30 watt soldering irons, great for wiring and anything not delicate, great for 12-18 gauge wires. I break out my dual iron temperature controlled Weller station when I have have to do circuit boards and 22-28 gauge wires. Of course, the tip of one of the Weller irons costs more than the entire HF iron.

Their $5 multimeters can't be beat either, reads the same as my Fluke in most cases.

302 Z28 10-25-2009 06:38 PM

There pretty good for consumables like 1" paint brushes, vinyl gloves, but their razor blades are only good for one cut :D .

Vince

MARTINSR 10-26-2009 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eloc431962
Well i am going to Harbor Freight here in a bit, Have one about 40 miles or so from the house and i have never been, So i gotta go check it out i never went cause i always thought they were just junk tools but i have heard some good stuff too. So i am gonna find out wish me luck don't know what i will come back with, But i know me and tools gotta have them :D :cool: .....Cole

Harbor Frieght has about 95% GARBAGE, find the 5% and you have a nice tool for cheap.

Brian

matt167 10-27-2009 07:40 AM

My Chop saw ( $50 4 years ago ) is still going strong, some sockets I have are pretty good, air oiler/filter is good, as with the filter/ regulator.. mini planishing hammer, pro's would probably laugh at an air hammer/ chisle mounted into a frame with an anvil on the bottom, but it actully works and I feel it's going to be a fair aid with the project I'm about to start. Compressor works great, most all the air tools I have from there are good enough...

timothale 10-27-2009 07:52 AM

H F tools

I bought a set of punches and chissles. the steel was soft. I haven't tried to retemper them. I bought a cheap sawsall knockoff. and elect impact gun. they were junk. I should have got the warrenty. I bought their shrinker with strecher dies for $ 29. the clearance, demo one. I added heavy angle iron and a 12 V atv winch to the bead roller. It works ok now.. I usually check their web site and flyers for the sale coupons. I bought the english wheel and it needs the wheels polished and more iron and welding. there is info on the web on how to improve the stuff. My local hardware store now sells a lot of china stuff so I always check garage sales for old Made In The USA stuff.

classicautoresto 10-27-2009 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timothale
I bought the english wheel and it needs the wheels polished and more iron and welding.

I have to say I have had no problems out of my english wheel from them. I use a ultrafine scotchbrite to clean the wheels after use. I use it only a few times a month, but it works well. As for Brian's comment, I will agree most is garbage, but there are a few good usable tools if you know what to look for.

MARTINSR 10-27-2009 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicautoresto
I have to say I have had no problems out of my english wheel from them. I use a ultrafine scotchbrite to clean the wheels after use. I use it only a few times a month, but it works well. As for Brian's comment, I will agree most is garbage, but there are a few good usable tools if you know what to look for.

There are a FEW, I admit it, I have bought a FEW. I needed s shortie set of wrenches the other day at home (had a nice set at work) and bought them at HF, they got my headers off, worked fine. The furniture dollies I bougt for moving around tranmissions and stuff, well worth the 10 bucks or what ever I paid. I buy a tool now and then, even after careful consideration from this pro I still get a about a 50% hit or miss. They are by and large GARBAGE.

Brian