Harbor Freight 43430 "purple" gun - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2006, 01:11 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ireland, You need more than 10 PSI out of that regulator. That 23/10 means 23 PSI inlet pressure at the gun and 10 PSI at the CAP.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2006, 02:01 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Oldred,
That's what I said, or at least what I meant - a regulated 23 pounds out, which hopefully translates to ~10 at the cap.

I take back what I said about the HF having a better (looking at least) air regulator than my high buck reg.
The HF piece is a broken PO---- !!!

I tried my good reg on the gun after I couldn't control the air - it was either at 80#, the set compressor output or zero with no adjustment in between. Looks like I will be the owner of 2 expensive regulators. Gas wise in my Guzzle8 F150 4x4 it is cheaper to buy one at Lowes, 5 miles away than exchange the gun at HF which is a 40 mile round trip
Old 05-17-2006, 02:20 PM

Last photo:

'scuse me I misunderstood I thought you meant you were regulating the pressure to 10 PSI at the gun inlet.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:39 PM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last journal entry: Almost time for the first drive!
Last photo:

Alright I bought one of these purple guns to use at work. I am spraying cabinets and furniture that we make. It is spraying wonderfully! But from experience I know it wont last. What is it that goes wrong with these guns and makes them spray bad after a while? I also am wondering if you can find parts for it. It uses most of the same parts as our old $100 ampro gun but not all the same. The lacquer we use is very hard on the reservoir and lid. They go first. I think we are going to stick with this gun sense it does a nice job and we tend to destroy them! They are easy to find and cheap!
Old 05-17-2006, 09:52 PM

Last photo:

The touch up gun is on sale june 2,3,4 for $8.99 thats at least in the flier they gave me the other day...
Old 05-18-2006, 06:16 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdbeard
Alright I bought one of these purple guns to use at work. I am spraying cabinets and furniture that we make. It is spraying wonderfully! But from experience I know it wont last. :
I have had several of the 43430's for over a year now and they still spray as well as when I purchased them. I completely disassemble and clean them EVERY time I use them. You cannot clean a gun by simply running a cup of thinner or solvent through it.

Vince
Old 05-18-2006, 10:11 AM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last photo:

How far do you disassemble it? I always remove and clean the air nozzle, needle, tip. and reservoir. Then I will use a round cleaning brush and clean the inside of the gun. Thats the part that I worry about because you cant reach it very well. The conversion varnish we use dries quickly and with no air needed so I am sure it builds up in the hard to clean places over a days use. We get a year max out of a gun.

Last edited by weirdbeard; 05-18-2006 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:49 AM
Last photo:

I clean mine the same, you could soak your gun in lacquer thinner to soften the residue so it can be brushed out. The stuff I use, which is catalyzed is not allowed to start to kick or setup in the gun. After I empty the cup and I am finished spraying I will put a little lacquer thinner in the cup swish it around, dump it out then add a little more to spray out. I then remove the cup, air cap, air nozzle, and needle. Brush everything clean with lacquer thinner, blow dry and reassemble.

I have a cleaning kit that I purchased from Spraygun Depot that has a selection of brushes, both large and small enough to clean the air passages in the air cap and nozzle.

Vince
Old 05-18-2006, 03:26 PM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last photo:

Yep. I have been doing the same. My co worker on the other hand sometimes lets the gun sit over a weekend with the junk still in there! I have tried soaking in lacquer thiner but that always seems to mess up the seals. It is good to know that if you clean the gun well it will last.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:56 PM
Almost there

me personaly i am not to fond of the harbor freight tools, but some of my partners have had great luck with them. good luck!
Old 05-19-2006, 03:03 PM

Love their instructions

Finally reading the instructions for my new 43430 gun. What crap!

Pg 5, Item #4 says turn on the air supply and adjust the regulator to between 15 and 50 psi, at the gauge. A pressure delta of 35 pounds sure can make a difference. My Devillbiss says 23 psig makes 10 at the nozzle.What really makes 10 psig on the HF gun ? How can I measure this? Has anyone made up a pressure output measuring gauge? Any sketches? Buy one from DeVillbiss, Binks or Sata?

Or, do you just say @#%& it, check the pattern and paint?
Old 05-19-2006, 03:34 PM

Irelands child, not to got off the subject, and I dont mean to hijack the thread but I have a devilbiss finishline 3 I just got, what psi are you shooting your paint with the triger pulled, because 23 psi is alot isnt it with a hvlp? I was using my freinds compressor and setting his wall regulator at 60 psi, then adjusting the gun regulator @ 23 psi , or around there, what am I doin wrong?

chris
Old 05-19-2006, 04:02 PM

Last photo:

Ireland, At first I was quite disappointed with the 43430 but after seeing some of the guys are using higher pressure I increased it to 40-45 PSI at the inlet and that did the trick. Those instructions are just a bad joke IMO so you have it right when you just say @#%& it and set the pattern. Some of these guys have a heck of a lot more experiance with those things than I do so I may get corrected a bit but 40-45 PSI worked great for me. Kind of makes one wonder about that HVLP claim
Old 05-19-2006, 04:03 PM

I don't think you have hijacked this - this discussion has wandered all over the place !!!!

A Finishline lll with 23 pounds showing on the
regulator gauge is SUPPOSED to be 10 pounds at the nozzle - the correct spraying pressure according to Devillbiss. Is the pattern correct? do you have a lot of material escaping rather than being laid out on a panel?
Old 05-19-2006, 04:17 PM

Oldred,
The same gun, or at least its' twin brother is being sold by Lowes in Saratoga Springs, NY as a gravity feed, non-HVLP under Ingersoll-Rand name #221117/Model 210G. It uses the exact same 1.4mm tip as HF.
This is really the basis for my circuitous questions in this thread. I intend to set my pattern using my multi-hued garbage can, turn up the pressure as necessary and spray epoxy and primer surfacer. @#*%& it !!!

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.