Harbor Freight 43430 "purple" gun - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2006, 08:43 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Harbor Freight 43430 "purple" gun

Let me say first that I have never used any spray gun to paint. This is a completely new venture for me. I always had someone else to do the painting for me. Guess it's time for this old dog to learn some new tricks.

As the Harbor Freight 43430 "purple" gun seems to be highly recommended on this site, I bought two of them for my learning experience. They come with a 1.4 tip. I seem to remember that a 1.8 to a 2.0 tip was suggested to spray 2K primer. I can not find a listing for any tips for this spray gun. Where can I purchase the tips?

Any and all suggestions as to getting started are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2006, 09:24 AM

Last photo:

Harbor Freight carries one, if you can't find it on their web page you will need to call and ask. It isn't too expensive either.

I use the same gun. I spray epoxy and 2K with the regular 1.4 tip. It works fairly decent. You have to put a few more coats of 2K when you use this gun but it still builds nice. I actually used a cheap $14 conventional gun to spray the first two thick coats of 2K on the car. Then I blocked and blocked and blocked. Between each block coat, I used the 43430 gun to apply a slightly thinner layer of 2K to give me a new starting point to find any highs and lows. This worked very well for me.

Also the 43430 gun with 1.4 tip sprays the SPI epoxy nice. This gun is a nice unit for primer, single stage, and base coat paints but I don't like it one bit for clear coat. I just can't get it to atomize the paint nice and still keep a nice pattern. Thus I'm currently looking for a higher end gun to spray base and clear. I'm considering the devilbiss gfg-670 plus or the iwata lph400. I'll still use the 43430 gun for all primer and other odds and ends though.

Kevin
Old 05-08-2006, 09:28 AM
Last photo:

There are different nozzle sets availiable from HF, but chances are you will not find them in a store. I have checked several HF stores in the Houston and Dallas/Ft Worth area and none had them. They can be ordered, but the shipping is rather steep at $9.95. There was a recent post here with some part numbers. I tried to search for it but had no luck.

Vince
Old 05-08-2006, 02:24 PM

Last photo:

Just a word on the 43430 and clear coat, I bought two of those guns and at first I too was disappointed with the clear coat performance. After hearing everyone say they need a LOT of air and the fact that the specs say, I think like 13 CFM@30 PSI, I removed that 1/4" regulator that came with it and replaced my 1/4" fittings and couplings with larger better flowing parts. It was like a different gun, I mean the difference was amazing and the clear went on like glass. Yep, that thing likes air and if you make sure it gets what it needs you will probably like it a lot. I have just recently up-graded to to a pro quality gun but I intend to hang on to my "purple" guns.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:33 PM
1955 2nd series Chevy Pick Up

Last journal entry: Body work and U bolts
Last photo:

Look at this thread. It has the part numbers for the 43430 gun tips. Just last month I called and ordered a 2.2 due to this post by Basscat. A 2.2 tip is what I spray 2K primer with at auto body class.

what spray gun
Old 05-08-2006, 05:15 PM

Last photo:

gator - what did you pay for that 2.2 tip?
Old 05-08-2006, 07:12 PM

Last photo:

Long live the HF PURPLE GUN

I bought one today. Haven't tried it yet, but considering all of the good reviews, I am looking forward to using it.

Quote:
replaced my 1/4" fittings and couplings with larger better flowing parts.
Oldred, what kind of hi flowing parts?
thanks. welcome:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	43430.gif
Views:	382
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	12065  
Old 05-08-2006, 09:24 PM

Last photo:

I started out using those guns and really liked them. THey are great for beginners but after a while of using them the spray pattern on them always seems to mess up. Now that I work at a dealership we use Iwatas and satas. So Far my favorite clear gun is the silver Sata RP with a 1.5 tip. It lays dupont production clear on like glass. I also used Dupont Apperance clear and Spies clear and it also lays it like glass.

The harbor Freight guns I dont think you can beat for the price. I sprayed a small 2 tone kandy with one a long time ago and it came out great. ( The gun was new though)
Old 05-09-2006, 08:31 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator412
Look at this thread. It has the part numbers for the 43430 gun tips. Just last month I called and ordered a 2.2 due to this post by Basscat. A 2.2 tip is what I spray 2K primer with at auto body class.

what spray gun

This is the info I was looking for.

Thanks to you all for the replys. Your posts are and will be very helpful to me.

Starquest, Oldred, gator412 what I do find interesting is that the 2k primer can be shot with the 1.4 tip. I will try that, but will have the larger tips on hand "just in case". As I stated, I've never done any spray painting and wan't to try it out with 2k primer. I guess I'd better stock up on plenty of sandpaper too. LOL
Old 05-09-2006, 09:53 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Just for info to you all:

I went to the Harbor freight site and did a search for the part numbers listed in the post above. Came up empty.

Did a second search for Nozzle Set and came up with part # 45386 which is a 1.8mm nozzle set but it is listed for a gun with the #30224. Wrong gun.

Did another search for Nozzle Set and came up with part # 45395 which is a 2.2mm nozzle set for the #43430 gun.

Went to another site. Came back to the Harbor Freight site to order the 2.2mm nozzle set. Typed in the part # 45395 and got a message that basically said there was no such part.

I guess I'll call the Customer Service for info.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:13 AM
1955 2nd series Chevy Pick Up

Last journal entry: Body work and U bolts
Last photo:

Cab...I think I paid about 20 bucks for the 2.2 tip. I could not find the tip on the webpage, but calling them they had it. Also just the first set of numbers is the part number.

Frisco..I shot 2K primer with a 1.7 tip at school then used a 2.2 tip. The 1.7 lays down a thin coat while the 2.2 laid down a nice thick coat. with no runs. Mind you I am new at this. After I used both sized tips at school I bought th 2.2 due to how well it covered.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:14 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

'nother Idea

I just found this on an AMAZON site:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cus...378351-0749612

"I own a Harbor Freight 43430 spray gun that is only available with a 1.3mm nozzle. HF does not offer other nozzles for the 43430. I had heard that the HF gun was identical to the PC PSH1 gun. While I do not know if they are identical, the PC 2.2 nozzle fits the HF 43430 perfectly and allows me to spray thicker coatings that are difficult/impossible to spray with the 1.3mm nozzle that comes with the HF 43430. "

The P-C he is referencing is Porter Cable and probably more available and easier ( and EXPENSIVE ) than HF. But if you have a P-C gun......

I'm about to go to my local HF outlet and pick up a 43430 as they are sale priced at $39.99 today and I sure dont want to subject my new mega-buck gun to epoxy and 2K
Old 05-16-2006, 12:24 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

All I've ever seen came with 1.4 tip and the 1.3 could be ordered,which I did but don't use.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:16 PM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

Ya made me go out in the shop and look:

1.3mm tip set = HF#45394
2.2mm tip set = HF#45395

I thought the gun came with a 1.8mm set, but others here have said it's a 1.4 and I really don't remember...

Russ
Old 05-17-2006, 12:53 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Just got a new one

Looking at my fresh new, made in China box - it says "nozzle" size (scary word) 1.4mm

The actual tip only says 10 psi (g, I guess).

I sure do wish their web site would bring up the numbers
of the 2.2 "nozzle" - usually when I talk to the HF people
I get that deafening silence or blank stare in person.

The regulator looks better than the $20 Devillbiss piece I have for my finish coat gun - but still has that 160 pound max range, 5 pounds per division markings when all you need is 23 in/ 10 out

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.