Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Harbor Freight Compressor
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 03:57 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurban View Post
I'm having a lot of problems with the HF 90234 model. First, the amperage wasn't sufficient to get it started. That would trip the onboard breaker. I moved it to another circuit and that solved the starting problem.

Now, it trips before getting to max-pressure. I'm running a plasma cutter, so I need plenty of reliable airflow.

I disassembled the piston head to see if it was clogged with residue. Yup. Thick and gooey. I pulled it all apart and re-assembled without difficulty. Also changed the oil. I also read that I should have changed the oil soon after running it for a few weeks. So, that would have probably minimized the build-up.

But, now it is still not reaching max-pressure before the onboard breaker trips. There's plenty of airflow, and the head only reaches 150 Deg F.

Any ideas why it's tripping? Maybe the motor is overheating? Maybe a bad breaker?

First thing you need to do is check the AMPs while running when it kicks the breaker, without doing that anything suggested would just be a guess. Using a meter you need to check to be sure the AMPs do not exceed the rating on the motor data plate and in fact it ideally should be slightly less. It could be a breaker/wiring or it could be the pump or the motor but whatever until you determine the current draw it's mostly just a guessing game. A few things you could do is check to see if the motor is getting hot? Is the wiring correctly sized and is it getting hot?