Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Harbor Freight Compressor
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2008, 09:52 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Is this one of the little $99-$165 8-10 gallon compressors? It has a direct drive compressor (no belt) with a black housing covering the motor, natural finish compressor, motor and compressor all one neat unit.

If so, make sure the oil level is at the TOP of the red circle, NOT in the middle of it like most would require! I have one and ran it for a couple months before it locked up. I pulled the end before chunking it and found that the little oil slinger would barely touch the oil if the level was in the center of the red circle -- like the manual says. For kicks I tried turning the motor with a wrench on the fan end -- it freed right up and runs fine now. Apparently mine had got hot and tight enough that the motor wouldn't start it back up. That's one good thing about direct drive -- takes a good bit of power to get it started (but runs on low power afterwards)! I just keep the oil level at the top of the red circle. Would have never known had I not pulled the end off! Might be a factory defect on mine (slinger not long enough), but I doubt it. I know at least one other person who didn't get much service from his. I was using mine on a construction project though, so it was running a lot on occasion driving my nail gun. No, I'm not a contractor -- just doing some remodeling projects on my own. I ran it all day for only a couple days in a row on 3-4 occasions though, the last when the compressor locked up.