Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Harbor Freight Coupons & Deals
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2011, 07:52 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
Research can reveal a lot, the first time I saw those US Generals I thought they looked like awfully good quality for a Chinese import and somehow they even looked like something I had seen before. Since we get a lot of compressor questions here and that one came up a couple of times I decided to check them out and what I found was surprising. The first clue was when someone on another site mentioned they were American built and then someone else said they were Belaires, a couple of E-mails and some phone calls confirmed this (I take my researches serious! ). Next trip to HF I did some comparisons and I found that sure enough these things are like some of their other large machines and are just re-named versions of well known machines that other outfits sell for a lot more money.

An example could be that lathe I bought, it is identical to the Birmingham YCL1440 that sells for over $1500 more money but the kicker is that for a while the HF version used the Birmingham owners/parts manual! They have since changed that but when they first sold this model lathe it had the Birmingham manual and when the manual was looked up on-line it too was to a Birmingham manual, go figure.
you are aware that other countries buy stuff here, clone it out of cheaper materials and with lower quality construction and re-sell it.
They do this with tools, equipment, clothes and everything else they can get their hands on. Just because something looks the same, the construction and part quality could be completely different.
The engines they sell are exact clones of the Honda small engines, even to the point where parts are interchangeable. Doesn't mean they are the same quality

Chet