Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Harbor Freight Coupons & Deals
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2011, 09:23 PM
Crazy Ole Ironhead

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I've bought a few things at HF but only because i was thinking they would be good enough for now until i get better tools ...but i was surprised..

I bought a 6" air palm sander for 20.00 on sale a few years ago when mine went on the blink and was painting a car for a buddy...worked really well and to this day still working well.

I also bought the tiny HVLP detail spray gun with a 1.0 tip with the rotating adjustable cup for 9.99,thinking again if it just does door jams and tight areas just once on a paint job,it payed for itself..i am still using this thing and it sprays surprisingly well,especialy for 9.99...

My father bought a nice US General tool box for my brother last xmas,i helped him put it together..that thing has ball bearing drawers and he loaded it up with all his tools and that thing is very rigid and well built for the price.

I wish i would of bought one of the US General 80 gallon compressors when i first seen them when they first started selling them,at the time my old 60 gallon porter cable had been making knocking noises in the pump so i was shopping for a new one,i went and bought an Ingersol Rand 60 gallon for 600.00...a guy at work bought one of the 80 gallon twin stage US Generals at the time for 600.00 or so and it was much better than my IR in terms of 175 PSI and if i remember correctly it was also 21 CFM @ 90?...my IR is single stage and is 11.3 CFM @ 90...i didn't at the time know they were american made,i was leary of them because it was an HF item..now i have a "V8 moment" everytime i see his US general compressor and wish i'da bought that one.

Thers is ALOT of things i stear away from at HF...any of their electric power tools,they burn up quick and are weak,their consumables like sand paper,grinder wheels,cut wheels..etc...all junk.
Their welders and plasma arcs...junk..i have tried them before where a few farmers asked me to show them how to weld with them,those machines are now either sitting in a corner collecting dust od they took them back...very inconsistant current/voltage..wire feed varies like crazy...etc..but then again when it comes to welding machines i been using high quality machines for a living for over 30 years so i tend to be picky about that arena, Probably because i am spoiled..lol

I've bought a few of their cheap air hoses for my compressor in a pinch..every one of them has split and cracked in a short time.

I just bought one of thier 1.4 tip "purple guns" because so many people rave about them,it was on sale 20.00 and i had a 20% coupon,figured i'd try it out on my Lincoln Ranger 8 welder i am tearing down and repainting this week,i'll be using a cheap paint and didn't want to run cheap paint through my Devilbiss or SATA gun,so figured i had such a good expereince with the detail gun,i'll give this a try for the price.

As was said already..you just have to know what you are buying there,not just because its cheap,that doesn't necessarily mean its junk.

Last edited by SuthnCustoms; 04-30-2011 at 09:30 PM.