Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   harbor freight cut off saw (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/harbor-freight-cut-off-saw-227420.html)

birkey 12-21-2012 09:26 AM

harbor freight cut off saw

I just bought a 14" sawfor metal and when I got home I realized that it was a total piece of crap. The wheel was garbage and after the first 30 seconds it broke.i bought a good one and it still took five minutes to cut through quarter inch metal. Industrial my *****, it is so weak. Biggest waste of 100 dollars. do not buy one.

ba49 01-03-2013 09:59 AM

I have to agree. I bought one from HF. about 6 yrs ago and it was complete garbage. I returned at least 2 of them and finally just gave up. The motors kept burning up. We had a Mikita at work and never had a problem with it in the 6 years we have had it and it gets used alot. I think HF air tools aren't too bad. I have alot of the air tools, but I have had alot of trouble with their electric tools. The one exception has been a 5hp air compressor I got from them. It works great, but I heard it's actually US. made.

timothale 01-03-2013 02:36 PM

H F tools

I bought one of the mid priced ones a couple years a go, I had a job to do out on the farm and we have elect power at the well. It did ok for the price. really the only thing I like about it is it has the quick action vice, I have A 220 V belt drive chop saw in the shop and I do most of the cutting there. With the belt drive arbor I can use most of the blade, It's on a stand, heavy and it has a teeter- toter design,, motor on the back end, and the blade arbor on the front, and a center pivot. If the metal is not solidly clamped, and the blade nut tight. the blades break pretty quick. Sometimes I use a spray bottle of water when cutting. some alloys will harden from the heat of cutting. I would really like a cold saw, metal carbide tooth blade made for metal, the cheapest I have seen is about $ 500., I just can't justify one with the work I do. I have a milwaukee deep cut portaband saw , and I cut a lot with it, and made an upright stand for it.

DuggMills 01-07-2013 09:15 AM

My 40 year old Taiwan drill press cooked the motor. I looked at new drill presses at Hazard Frought and decided to spend two hundred dollars on a new Dayton Motor from Grainger.

Thes is very little I would ever buy from HF and nothing electrical primarily becasuse it's....
Cheap Chinese Communist Conscripted Child Cruelty Conflicting Capitalism Crap.

MARTINSR 01-07-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuggMills (Post 1631769)
My 40 year old Taiwan drill press cooked the motor. I looked at new drill presses at Hazard Frought and decided to spend two hundred dollars on a new Dayton Motor from Grainger.

Thes is very little I would ever buy from HF and nothing electrical primarily becasuse it's....
Cheap Chinese Communist Conscripted Child Cruelty Conflicting Capitalism Crap.

Don't hold back man, tell us how you feel. :D My buddy calls HF "The Chinese red army store". :evil:

Brian