Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Harbor Freight gas engine
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 05:11 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

troy built(mtd) scrap/p.o.s.

my neighbor recently bought a troy built(mtd) snowblower, $600.00, plus tax at lowe's. unable to get it running. i finally got it running, just the worst example of engineering that could/should exist. i used it on 3" of fine powdery snow, it managed to throw it 2' maximum. and that was on my smooth concrete driveway. the chute and the lower chute ring are plastic, yep-plastic. the metal is not 11 ga. thick, thinner. i'd give it a life expectancy of forever, provided it does not get used, and just beats you up to use it. i have a troy built roto tiller(made in troy n.y.), it is 24 years old, 5.0 h.p. b&s motor, starts/runs perfectly, must have 10k hours on it by now, much of it is cast iron. i have rebuilt the carb twice on it, ($4.00 in parts). mtd bought out many companys, away we go to china/korea/v.nam/india, etc. having done considerable work on small motors/equiptment, stay away from mtd. pure junk. i'd be willing to buy that snowblower for $100.00, then hopefully sell it for $200.00, but i guess i would'nt want to screw anyone that bad.