Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Harbor Freight gas engine
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 11:03 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Since this thread was started I did get around to buying one of those engines and although the thing may be from the same Chinese manufacturer as the Cub lawn mower engine it is a LONG way from the same quality. The little Cub lawn mower I have has been a jewel even with that Chinese engine, starts instantly every time and has many trouble free hours on it now it is in fact the best mower I have ever owned. The HF "Grey Hound" engine is,well not so good. I built a wood splinter last year and those things were again on sale, this time I got there before they sold out but I have mixed feelings about whether that was good fortune or not. First to the engine's credit it starts easily and has not been a problem at all in that respect plus it has more than the 6 1/2 HP IMO and as far as power goes it is a brute so what is not to be happy about? I just can't keep the thing in one piece! It does vibrate quite a bit (yes I do have it mounted properly) and things constantly fall off or worse yet break off. It leaks gas terribly around the gas cap if the tank is over half full, the clip that locks the gas cap down fell off because the spot welds were nothing more than heat stains, the whole carburetor mounting bracket fell off a couple of times before it finally broke and I just made a whole new assembly, various bolts/fasteners, etc are constantly coming loose and the low oil shut off will kill the engine unless the crankcase is overfilled with oil, took me a while to figure that one out! I have to tilt the engine back in order to get enough oil in it to make it run properly and that requires nearly 1/2 again more than it calls for. All in all I have not been impressed too much with it but like I said the darn thing is powerful and keeps on chugging, just keep your tools handy and be ready to reassemble the loose/missing parts every time it is used.