Harbor Freight gas engine - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2008, 07:54 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadmerc
If you are looking for a small engine try the Small Engine Warehouse, I have bought several engines from them without any issues.

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/

That's a good site,

They seem to have an engine for about anything and a good parts supply too! Definitely going to keep these guys in mind.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2008, 01:43 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Matt - Anything I have ever had with a Tecumseh engine has been a POS. This snow blower just happens to be the worst one - ever. My Briggs IC powered generator sometimes isn't started for months and even with old gas will start and run just fine.

Oldred - I bookmarked that web site. I may not buy from there but at least it will be a comparison site

The junk engine off that snow blower of mine will be scrapped shortly and something installed in its' place - and and that "something" wont have a Tecumseh nameplate .

I'm really in no hurry - my baby diesel tractor has a 48 inch thrower that will does an OK job and our two 4x4 vehicles will hanndle the rest - it's just that the sidewalk wont get done

Dave W
Old 11-23-2008, 06:03 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

A go kart we recently got rid of. sat for only 2 years w/o running ( only 5 yrs old ) with a Techumsea powersport 6.0 HP engine. would not start.. had to rebuild the carb and then it didn't run right after that... and an older gokart that had a 3.5 hp techumsea that would quit after a while cause the head gasket was blown and the head expanded.... the HF look like knockoff's of a lesser known company I have seen advertised.. I just can't remember the name.. I know it's not robin Suburu even tho the gas tanks look simmilar.... might be Mitsubishi but I'm not sure
Old 12-18-2008, 10:33 AM

Just an update - I bought a HF engine to put on the snow blower to replace the Tecumseh POS. While it's 'only' 6.5 Hp, it starts and runs better then the OEM. Plus it really has more power and is an OHV motor rather then a common 'L' head. Interesting!!! I paid a whopping $129 for it - its a very nice looking engine, started on the 3rd pull right out of the box. As far as mods to bolt it on - the crank belt pulleys are retained by a 5/16-24 bolt rather then a 3/8 and I had to use the alternate bolt holes in the snow blower frame. I also had to move the chute handle down about 4" by drilling another hole in the handle - and it will move some snow now. A 2 hour mod - part of which was spent looking for misplaced parts in my shop

The B&S powered generator I bragged about - died during our last weekend power outage after running for a couple of hours. Not sure why yet but no spark. An earlier encounter was a bad low oil level sender ground so will check this out shortly.

Dave W
Old 12-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

The Japanese industry has the benefit of getting a great tax credit for selling/giving their old tooling to emerging countries. Not only is Honda doing it but Yamaha scooter engines are in some of the mini-offroad carts. I am sure that Kaw and Suzi do the same. It is also in the car industry many of the Korean cars use old Japanese powertrains( at least designed) from Datsun and Toyota. The #1 selling vehicle in China....a Buick...externally the same as the U.S. version. GM needs a bailout??? So it is a worldwide deal. I remember in the late 70s, when the Brit car industry commited suicide, there was new car introduced there called the Sterling. Nice British sound to it....nothing but a rebadged Accord with wood inserts. Now watch our car companies follow their lead right down the tubes.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:09 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
I paid a whopping $129 for it - its a very nice looking engine,Dave W

If that is the " Greyhound" engine it has been on sale the last couple of weeks at the HF here for $99 and with the 20% off coupon I had I was going to get one last Saturday but the were sold out, 80 bucks for a 6 1/2 HP gas engine was too good to pass up but they were all gone. I went up front to get one of the heat guns they had on sale for half price at $9.99 and they were all gone too! After grumbling about that I went on back to get some of the blue tarps they also had on sale at 50% off and they were out of those dang things too! All in all it was a pretty disgusting trip since I was walking around in there with that coupon worth 20% off of the total purchase and they didn't have a darn thing I went in there for.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:32 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

oldred, please don't tell me you settled on those $2.99 for 10 screwdrivers sets like I had. That would have made it an entirely wasted trip...

In a while, Chet.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:52 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnitz
oldred, please don't tell me you settled on those $2.99 for 10 screwdrivers sets like I had. That would have made it an entirely wasted trip...In a while, Chet.

No not screwdrivers.

I buy a few things at HF but I am quite picky about what and I would not buy hand tools such as wrenches, ratchets, sockets, etc. Basically I will buy something that I only use occasionally and nothing that would cause damage to what I use it on if it fails. Something like that heat gun that would only occasionally be used and would do no harm if it fails and some of the tools that have developed somewhat of a following such as the small angle grinders, the auto dark welding helmets, the 43430 "purple gun" paint gun and various other small items that seem to be decent quality but dirt cheap.

On another note, A few days ago I saw a humorous (wasn't meant to be!) ad for HF tools that went something like-

Get real bargains on "NAME BRAND TOOLS" like Central Pneumatic, Chicago Electric, Drill Master, etc.

Yeah right, "NAME BRANDS"
Old 12-18-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
If that is the " Greyhound" engine it has been on sale the last couple of weeks at the HF here for $99
There was nothing that indicated that it was a "Greyhound", but ya never know. Actually, several of the parts that I could see actually said "Made in Japan", but it was in a Chinese box. Regardless, it runs which is something that the Tecumseh hasn't done in 2-3 years and the blower was set for a trip to the dump when I heard HF advertise 'big sales'. The worst part about the engine swap was cleaning out 2-3 years worth of chipmunk doo and acorn shells in the bottom

Dang - and I missed those great screw drivers

Don't be mean about those 'name brand' tools. You recognized the name and so did I even up here in the North country. They just aren't those tools we choose to use on a daily basis

Dave W
Old 12-18-2008, 04:15 PM

Last photo:

Dave, how long were you left in the dark? Our power never went out here this time. but Central Hudson and NYSEG still had a lot of outages reported in my area...
Old 12-18-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
Dave, how long were you left in the dark? Our power never went out here this time. but Central Hudson and NYSEG still had a lot of outages reported in my area...

We were only out about 18 hours though there are still a few still without power in Niskayuna and the Albany County hill towns. I think National Grid, locally, started at my street and worked out from there - according to our town highway super(a friend), my development was the worst hit in town though we had minimal tree damage.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:12 PM
Last photo:

Quote:
On another note, A few days ago I saw a humorous (wasn't meant to be!) ad for HF tools that went something like-

Get real bargains on "NAME BRAND TOOLS" like Central Pneumatic, Chicago Electric, Drill Master, etc.

Yeah right, "NAME BRANDS"
I saw that same ad, I cracked up and showed it to my wife. About the only thing I buy from HF with the exception of the 43430 gun is consumables. Their single edged razor blades are good for one cut. I use their latex/nitrile gloves, and 1" cheap brushes, but thats about it. There is no way I would buy any hand tools from them.

Vince
Old 12-18-2008, 06:37 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
We were only out about 18 hours though there are still a few still without power in Niskayuna and the Albany County hill towns. I think National Grid, locally, started at my street and worked out from there - according to our town highway super(a friend), my development was the worst hit in town though we had minimal tree damage.
... on the news, it said that National grid crews were getting called from as far as Michigan to restore power.. Green county was state of emergency for a couple days last week.. don't really know why but, it was... the power spiked a few times at my work, and now our ski rental program is going funky... running maby 80% capacity and the server needs rebooted every morning, and nobody knows what's wrong
Old 12-22-2008, 08:10 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnitz
oldred, please don't tell me you settled on those $2.99 for 10 screwdrivers sets like I had. That would have made it an entirely wasted trip...

In a while, Chet.

Not sure if this is the same set you are talking about but I just got this in an E-mail. I have always said that some HF tools would be a bad deal even if they were free so now maybe we can find out!

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...&r=3769_153811
Old 12-22-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Not sure if this is the same set you are talking about but I just got this in an E-mail. I have always said that some HF tools would be a bad deal even if they were free so now maybe we can find out!
OMIGOLLY - I gotta go get my set!!!! Free too!!!

As a quick note - that 6.5 Hp HF engine on my snow blower works better then the original 8Hp Tec POS. It started this morning at 6 deg F on the second pull and might have started on the first if I had turned the on/off switch on first . It moved through the 8" in my driveway and 2+ feet the town had put at the end without a whimper. Now - if it survives ..........

Dave W

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.