Harbor Freight gas engine - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2009, 09:28 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
I don't know about the same price level Dave.....Garden tractors on the whole are a lot cheaper than they used to be.....Trouble is, that extends to the quality as well as the price........ ....and, like you said, even if you buy American, the quality just isn't there.

I am calling a guy tomorrow about an old Ford graden tractor.....early 70s I think.........with a deck, tiller, power takeoff..........should be a brute. If I have to repower with a Chinese knock off, so be it.
I agree that the price has come down - but for sure my current snow blower is not built like the one I had years ago nor is it as tough as my ancient 48" tractor driven unit.

The Ford you are looking at - is it a bolt-on-the-frame engine or is it one of the integral chassis/engine/driveline? If it's abolt on the frame, it should be a fairly easy change out. Otherwise - probably not. My little 3 cylinder, 17Hp Iseki/Bolens diesel tractor - no way to change out an engine with another brand, but since it only has about 650 hours in 22 years, it will probably outlive me

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2009, 09:34 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I really don't know....I talked to the guy before Xmas and he was pretty vague about it....just that it was Ford, old and the steering is broke. Pretty much picking it up as scrap, but have to go 100 miles to get it........Most of those older tractors have a flat plate with an B&S, Koelher, Tecumseh or whatever cast iron engines in them.

Budget RVs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
I really don't know....I talked to the guy before Xmas and he was pretty vague about it....just that it was Ford, old and the steering is broke. Pretty much picking it up as scrap, but have to go 100 miles to get it........Most of those older tractors have a flat plate with an B&S, Koelher, Tecumseh or whatever cast iron engines in them.
Good luck then as these old baby Fords were nice (and expensive!!). I looked at their comparable baby diesel - used - before I bought mine and it was much more costly then what I ended up with and mine included a Wood's 59" 3 blade mower deck and a 48" snow blower and zero hours. If you are lucky, it will have a Kohler or B&S engine that's reasonably priced to rebuild rather then try to retrofit
Old 01-31-2011, 03:45 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

13hp Greyhound Engine

Hey guys, I want to build a go kart and does anybody know where I can get a clutch from?
Old 01-31-2011, 04:13 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brevinshea
Hey guys, I want to build a go kart and does anybody know where I can get a clutch from?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...atchallpartial
Old 02-01-2011, 05:11 AM

troy built(mtd) scrap/p.o.s.

my neighbor recently bought a troy built(mtd) snowblower, $600.00, plus tax at lowe's. unable to get it running. i finally got it running, just the worst example of engineering that could/should exist. i used it on 3" of fine powdery snow, it managed to throw it 2' maximum. and that was on my smooth concrete driveway. the chute and the lower chute ring are plastic, yep-plastic. the metal is not 11 ga. thick, thinner. i'd give it a life expectancy of forever, provided it does not get used, and just beats you up to use it. i have a troy built roto tiller(made in troy n.y.), it is 24 years old, 5.0 h.p. b&s motor, starts/runs perfectly, must have 10k hours on it by now, much of it is cast iron. i have rebuilt the carb twice on it, ($4.00 in parts). mtd bought out many companys, away we go to china/korea/v.nam/india, etc. having done considerable work on small motors/equiptment, stay away from mtd. pure junk. i'd be willing to buy that snowblower for $100.00, then hopefully sell it for $200.00, but i guess i would'nt want to screw anyone that bad.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:33 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessebelle
my neighbor recently bought a troy built(mtd) snowblower, $600.00, plus tax at lowe's. unable to get it running.
Why would anyone work on a brand new piece of equipment if it was faulty?
Lowes has an excellent return policy... one that I sure as heck would be using.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:15 AM

trot built snowblower

they had flooded the engine badly, after i got it going, and used it, i advised them to return it, based on my opinion of it's poor quality. these people are office worker's, no mechanical knowledge. they want to keep it, their decision. i showed them how to properly start it, it now fires on the 1st pull, but it must sit there and run at 1/2 choke for at LEAST 8 to 10 minutes before the choke can be opened fully. of course there are no carb adjustments, etc. i expect many failures with this, no matter where it was purchased.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:35 AM

You will find that most of the snow blowers today are built by MTD or a few by Murray. Even the 15 year old Agway that I have is an MTD (with a Harbor Freight engine). It too has a partial plastic chute and is made out of too light gauge steel IMO. It will throw snow 20-40 feet though, depending on the amount of moisture as long as the auger shear pins are intact and the inner wheel is tight - did you check them? If it's new, it has a Briggs & Stratton engine (or a cheap foreign substitute) as Tecumseh junkers are ...... thankfully, gone.

I really like my diesel powered tractor with the 48" thrower instead of that little 24" when it get really nasty - like today

Dave W
Old 02-01-2011, 10:03 AM

Last photo:

Since this thread was started I did get around to buying one of those engines and although the thing may be from the same Chinese manufacturer as the Cub lawn mower engine it is a LONG way from the same quality. The little Cub lawn mower I have has been a jewel even with that Chinese engine, starts instantly every time and has many trouble free hours on it now it is in fact the best mower I have ever owned. The HF "Grey Hound" engine is,well not so good. I built a wood splinter last year and those things were again on sale, this time I got there before they sold out but I have mixed feelings about whether that was good fortune or not. First to the engine's credit it starts easily and has not been a problem at all in that respect plus it has more than the 6 1/2 HP IMO and as far as power goes it is a brute so what is not to be happy about? I just can't keep the thing in one piece! It does vibrate quite a bit (yes I do have it mounted properly) and things constantly fall off or worse yet break off. It leaks gas terribly around the gas cap if the tank is over half full, the clip that locks the gas cap down fell off because the spot welds were nothing more than heat stains, the whole carburetor mounting bracket fell off a couple of times before it finally broke and I just made a whole new assembly, various bolts/fasteners, etc are constantly coming loose and the low oil shut off will kill the engine unless the crankcase is overfilled with oil, took me a while to figure that one out! I have to tilt the engine back in order to get enough oil in it to make it run properly and that requires nearly 1/2 again more than it calls for. All in all I have not been impressed too much with it but like I said the darn thing is powerful and keeps on chugging, just keep your tools handy and be ready to reassemble the loose/missing parts every time it is used.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:17 AM

So far the only thing wrong with my 6Hp HF engine is that I have to keep the choke about half on for it to run right - someday I might try to find out why, but not yet. It always starts with one or two pulls - and throws snow a lot better then the so called 8Hp(?) POS Tecumseh it replaced that seldom ran without many bad words even with the electric starter
Old 02-01-2011, 10:33 AM

mtd stuff

hey irelands child-jessebelle here- i know mtd has been around a while, they must've given some serious money to troy built to buy them out. but if you pay your foreign help 22 cents per hour, quite a profit. we have 6" of fresh snow right now, i looked this thing over quite well, all seems to be in place correctly, it still is very inept at doing it's intended task, and i don't want to be the one using it when it fails, been there, done that. so i'm doing the driveway area for them. i have a 25.50 hp kubota 4wd diesel tractor, hst trans. my 2nd one, the other being an 18 hp. without a doubt the finest machine i have owned. my last one had 1000 hrs. on it when i traded it for the bx2660, no oil leaks-no failures of any kind-no oil consumption. but i take very good care of my equiptment, oil changes at 50 hours, etc. it spins a 4' roto tiller through an acre of garden like nothing, i mow 1.50 acres weekly, move snow as required with loader or back blade, it seems the list is unending, except the fuel usage is minimal as well. the frame and undercarriage are thick, the loader is very quick, strong. probably the 1st thing i've owned that i have no complaints about, and very easy on the operator. gotta go move more snow. later
Old 02-01-2011, 10:47 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
I have to keep the choke about half on for it to run right r

Yours has a CHOKE? Maybe you should have gotten one with the CHOCK instead!
Old 02-01-2011, 12:23 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

MTD makes most everything lawn care in the 'cheaper' sector...

Airens is the only snowblower I know of that is not MTD built and they use B&S engines.. I think Airens builds the JD snow throwers.. Snow Tek is Airens budget line, and uses Lifan engines but there otherwise the same..

The budget line Cub Cadet push mower is a MTD painted yellow with $100 more on the sticker price for an electric start.. I bought 1 of the MTD's a couple years ago. found it very hard to start, but did run ok, just didn't work all that well.. took it back to TSC a day or so later, and bought a Briggs NOS 3.5 hp to repower my '72 Squire Applegate pusher. only 20" cutting path, but it has a 2 peice snail deck and a very tight clearence for the blade. that allows it to cut very neatly and shoots/ spreads the clippings about 10'

As for all my outdoor power equipment that I keep in service.. it is all 30+ years old..

1971 Gilson Gil-490A ( Montgomery Ward branded snowblower 8hp/26")
1972 Gilson Gil-479C ( Montgomery Ward Branded snowblower 8hp/26" electric start )
1968 Sears Suburban 12 garden tractor- 42" mowing deck and all paperwork
1972 Squire Applegate push mower ( repowered with NOS 1980's 3.5hp briggs )

broken down equipment:
1971 Gilson Gil-490A- needs magneto put on, just havn't gotten to it
1998 ish MTD/ Murry Ultra push mower w/ bagger- runs but not good
1998 Craftsman 16hp/42" cut riding lawn mower- worn out steering, exhaust rusted off, currently does not run- I quit fighting with it
Old 02-03-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
I've Checked them but I need to know which would be the best btw it's going to be a chain one, here's the link for the engine http://www.harborfreight.com/engines...ine-66555.html

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.