Harbor Freight gas engine - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2008, 09:52 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Harbor Freight gas engine

I just looked at a horizontal shaft gas engine at HF and was quite amused at the "chock" control! This CHOCK control has 3 settings- off, -half CHOCK and full CHOCK. Not sure whether or not I would actually buy an engine with a "CHOCK" lever! (Well actually I am quite sure )

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2008, 12:02 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Well.....this may sound un-American of me, but I am not anyways, so.......I recently bought a Chinese knockoff of a Honda engine for my lawn tractor......13hp, electric start for $288 ...on sale.......where the Honda goes for over $1000..............I don't know if mine says "chock" , but I could live with that..........

OK...flame on...tell me how I am destroying civilization as we know it.............
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	National9 023 (Medium).jpg
Views:	1776
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	34302   Click image for larger version

Name:	National9 024 (Medium).jpg
Views:	1904
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	34303  

Budget RVs
Old 11-19-2008, 12:34 PM
World Class ASE tech

Last photo:

In the go kart circles they race a lot of those Blue and Yellow engines. The WKA has a class for them. There is even a lot of hot rod parts for them.

They call them Clones.

http://karting.4cycle.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120
Old 11-19-2008, 12:45 PM

Last photo:

I believe this is the "greyhound" engine or some such as that and I have to admit I am curious as to how well they hold up for the price but the one I looked at sure is crudely built, looks to be anyway. I really should not have been so critical I guess but I could not help but find that "Chock" lever kind of comical. As far as Chinese engines being common I guess they are becoming so and I discovered this past summer that my new Cub Cadet lawn mower has a Chinese engine. This engine has been surprisingly good so far and not only is it quite powerful but it has never failed to start on the first pull, I use the pull rope in spite of the fact it has an electric starter because I have yet to install the battery.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:36 PM

I can't help but wonder if those engines are built in a ISO 9001 and ISO 14000 factory? You know where there are crews asking stupid questions and having the workers proveing that a bolt made in Detroit or England will fit perfectily. Shure they do --- wanna buy a bridge ------

TF
Old 11-19-2008, 01:46 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I find the 13hp engine I bought seems great so far....1st pull, it starts (I havent hooked up the elec start either)....and runs nice........

As for ISO standards.........just another money grab......Companies have been conned into accepting these standards that only qualified ISO auditors can do.....It's all documentation.....you document, even if you don't do the checks and you pass. ....It's just bragging rights....or passing the buck....Politics of industry.

Budget RVs
Old 11-19-2008, 02:27 PM

Thats only one of the reasons were in the mess were are in!!!!!
TF
Old 11-19-2008, 09:22 PM

Last wiki edit: Window removal and installation Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

You may have noticed the proliferation of cheap looking and slightly odd Chinese-built minibikes and "choppers" in the last few years. The majority of them are powered by a venerable Honda designed 50cc gas engine. Honda sold the Chinese the rights to the design and even the complete tooling to produce the engines. So basically all they had to do is follow Hondas directions to the letter, exercise some quality control, and they could make quite decent and reliable little engines.
This is a deal I know about. It caught my attention because the Chinese seem to just go about pirating and ripping off whatever designs they like. (Ask GM about their "Aveos"). These engines are straight up and legal. It may be that Honda licensed them more than one engine design. Opposed to some knock-off design, such an engine might not be a bad deal, amusing asian typos notwithstanding.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:54 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR
amusing asian typos notwithstanding.

That was what this thread was actually about, what I thought was a comical typo, and I have exactly zero experience with these engines and I would be totally out of line to comment on the quality of them. Actually that little comment I made about having made up my mind about them was not fair except that what I meant was that a typo (along with the rather crude appearance) like that would make me think twice about buying one, that of course could very well be a mistake as they may very well be good engines for the price.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:50 AM
*** Please post solutions ***

Last photo:

I have a chinese Pep Boys generator that has run me through 4 hurricanes... It runs flawless and starts every time.

If the chinese can do it... why can't we?

Just my .02

-=Fred=-
Old 11-20-2008, 11:03 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
I just looked at a horizontal shaft gas engine at HF and was quite amused at the "chock" control! This CHOCK control has 3 settings- off, -half CHOCK and full CHOCK. Not sure whether or not I would actually buy an engine with a "CHOCK" lever! (Well actually I am quite sure )
I don't remember exactly what it was I saw this on, I know it was a replacement body panel of some type, I think it was a hood, but on the box, it said "Made in Taiwen". Kinda makes you doubt the quality when they misspell the name of their country.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:04 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Hmmmm - my little MTD snow blower's 8Hp Tecumseh HMSK 80 Snow King engine is and always has been a piece of junk and has not run for a couple of years now. The Chinese POS might just be the answer for a couple hundred bucks - it was going to the dump in the next week or so---------

Dave w
Old 11-20-2008, 05:56 PM
*** Please post solutions ***

Last photo:

harbor freight has been running their 6 horse horizontal shafts for like a 100 bucks and you can find 20% discount coupons by checking google
Old 11-22-2008, 02:43 PM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

If you are looking for a small engine try the Small Engine Warehouse, I have bought several engines from them without any issues.

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/
Old 11-22-2008, 06:08 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Hmmmm - my little MTD snow blower's 8Hp Tecumseh HMSK 80 Snow King engine is and always has been a piece of junk and has not run for a couple of years now. The Chinese POS might just be the answer for a couple hundred bucks - it was going to the dump in the next week or so---------

Dave w
we have 2 simplicity snowblowers with 10 HP Techumsea Snow King engines at work, and they don't run very good at all, and you can't keep them running when they are... at my house, I have a 30 year old or better Montgomery Ward with a 8hp Briggs. the carb leaks a little gas, and the valves don't seat well anymore.. but it still starts first pull and runs like a champ... I just put 2 new belts in it and checked the scrub wheel, and it's ready for the winter. bought 20 years ago by my parents for $35

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.