Harbor Freight Pneumatic panel flanger - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2009, 08:38 PM
HR VIOLATION

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsch25
What are your guys opions on a HF panel flanger?
I had one, and used it lightly.. it broke within about 6 months... I normally like HF tools for home use (had great experience with the chicago electric brand) but wouldn't recommend this one...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2009, 09:11 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I gotta admit something though ...almost every HF tool I've ever bought needed tweeking usualy masking tape but my little cabinet blaster needed a lot of help and the plenishing hammer now keeps cars from rolling backwards when you stuff it under the rear wheel ,but now most of them work flawlessly any time I need them...usualy the plastic ends on the die grinders come off tape cures that.but when your trying to run a shop and train guys that deserve a break you really cant beat HF for a good many tools NOT ALL but a good many air tools...I've had some real rip offs also but all and all I'm WAY ahead but some tools just cant be skimped on,only quality will do....
Old 08-19-2009, 09:23 PM

Last photo:

I have the same flanger. It works great.
The problem with all HF hand tools is that, although they may be physically identical to a CP or IR tool, HF uses cheap, soft metal, and they skimp on the finishing machine work. Apparently good metal is expensive and the heat treatment is too time consuming for them, so they skip it. If they heat treated the metal parts and machined them better, I bet they would last so much longer, HF would earn a good reputation for good tools instead of one for selling junk.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:26 PM

Last journal entry: Well finally got something different for a project...
Last photo:

I just bought a flanger and a cut off wheel, have really got to try it out.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:29 PM
Just stuck

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrot
I have the same flanger. It works great.
The problem with all HF hand tools is that, although they may be physically identical to a CP or IR tool, HF uses cheap, soft metal, and they skimp on the finishing machine work. Apparently good metal is expensive and the heat treatment is too time consuming for them, so they skip it. If they heat treated the metal parts and machined them better, I bet they would last so much longer, HF would earn a good reputation for good tools instead of one for selling junk.
HF is an American owned store chain and makes nothing. The majority of the tools they sell have American 'sounding' names like Chicago Electric, Central Machinery/Pneumatic, US General and Pittsburgh Toos but are imported from China. HF doesn not care about selling quality tools and only cares about the almighty $$$. Yes, they do have a good return policy and their 'better' line of tools, Pittsburgh, has a lifetime warranty. Having a good return policy helps keeps customers coming back and they can afford the policy since their profit margin is so high. You think you are getting a tool dirt cheap...you'd freak if you knew what they pay for them! Isn't child labor wonderfull!?
Old 08-20-2009, 03:45 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky1
HF is an American owned store chain and makes nothing. The majority of the tools they sell have American 'sounding' names like Chicago Electric, Central Machinery/Pneumatic, US General and Pittsburgh Toos but are imported from China. HF doesn not care about selling quality tools and only cares about the almighty $$$. Yes, they do have a good return policy and their 'better' line of tools, Pittsburgh, has a lifetime warranty. Having a good return policy helps keeps customers coming back and they can afford the policy since their profit margin is so high. You think you are getting a tool dirt cheap...you'd freak if you knew what they pay for them! Isn't child labor wonderfull!?
Craftsman (hand tools) is the cheapest I buy unless I need to bend a wrench to fit some oddball out of the way fastener. I'd buy snap on and such but I'm not a professional. For air tools, I have a china-craftsman impact that came with an air compressor a buddy of mine bought (and I got the impact wrench) but I'm not really impressed with it. It'll remove lugs on tires, but for much else, it's pretty weak. Vintage (and well used) Campell Hauseld impacts still go for $$$$. It's quality.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:06 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

Regarding "made in China", I know I recently learned an important lesson about how "Made in the USA" claims are spun by the industry. If a certain percentage of the total cost of manufacturing and marketing a product originates in the US market, a company can legitimately claim that it's "Made" in the USA, even if it was "manufactured" in China. It's because of the way that the word "Made" can be spun. See this thread about Eaton Compressor for more details. For another example, note BadBoyBlasters.com. Their website features a bald eagle, American flag, Statue of Liberty, and their logo features American flag colors and theme. Guess where their products are manufactured?

Seems like HF is a combination of junk tools, sweet deals, and cheap tools for ridiculously cheap prices. If there's interest in making a list of good/bad buys from HF, that's something that would certainly improve the wiki article.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:31 PM
Just stuck

Last photo:

I have nothing against buying products that are not made in America. My beef is buying stuff made in a commie country that uses slave child labor and their gooberment treats their 'subjects' like crap. Why do we support communism? We import soooo much stuff made in China, we may as we be a part of them.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:12 PM

I used to feel that way too about the commie countries but now I think exposure to our ways will eventually win the people over,people are people.and once they start taking care off themselves they'll change their government first their bellies have to be full and we can help.No I dont mind Buying some cheap tools and sometimes getting ripped off I can afford to waste a hundred bucks once and a while if it helps them better themselves but when strap on rips me off selling crap for twenty times what its worth it pissesme off you cant even go to Lowes and buy a made in usa tool it dont matter what name is on it.at least buying from china you can get screwed directly and avoid the middle man.keep them old tools there irreplacable if you want to buy good quality, made in usa tools ,they have to be old used tools we dont make them anymore.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:20 PM
build it like you like them

Last journal entry: buggmann stilling looking
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

buggmann

that's-how-it-go's-people-don't
need-to-steal-the-hf-tool's-they
can-afford-them-it's-just-the-high
money-tool's-people-just-cant-afford
why-buy-them-if-you-are-like-that-
just-take-them-if-you-dare-i-have-
a-s&w9mm-that-will-take-care-of-that
sh@!
Old 08-20-2009, 11:28 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
Regarding "made in China", I know I recently learned an important lesson about how "Made in the USA" claims are spun by the industry. If a certain percentage of the total cost of manufacturing and marketing a product originates in the US market, a company can legitimately claim that it's "Made" in the USA, even if it was "manufactured" in China. It's because of the way that the word "Made" can be spun. See this thread about Eaton Compressor for more details. For another example, note BadBoyBlasters.com. Their website features a bald eagle, American flag, Statue of Liberty, and their logo features American flag colors and theme. Guess where their products are manufactured?

Seems like HF is a combination of junk tools, sweet deals, and cheap tools for ridiculously cheap prices. If there's interest in making a list of good/bad buys from HF, that's something that would certainly improve the wiki article.

at advance auto parts they have a little stars-n-stripes logo around the 'lifetime warranty' claim, and I'm sure it throws the 'un-cautious' off. I'm sure a lot of folks buy craftsman cabinets, pneumatic and electric tools thinking they're Made in the USA, but only the hand tools (wrenches and stuff) are made here these days. My impact, my buddy's tool chest- made in China.

I feel that if we continue to buy chinese, and ignore the American Alternative (when it is available of course), we'll see a lot more companies close down, cut costs (move overseas), and therefore higher unemployment. Buying Chinese also supports shady labor practices. I know, I know, I have a computer (made in China I'm sure) and other stuff, but I can not find a 'made in usa' computer besides homeade. I did find some made in usa computer parts (patriot RAM (memory)). I take a lot of pride in driving an American automobile (Jeep Cherokee, made in Toledo, Ohio), and take a lot of pride in using American tools to work on it, and using American parts (whenever possible, I spend a lot of time researching this) to replace worn parts. Even little stuff like hose clamps- I know the Napa ones are made in China now, and the Ideal brand ones at Advance are made in the USA. They're basically the same price, and you bet my butt I'd rather keep Americans working.

Don't have money for the $600 USA made super-tool? Borrow/rent one from someone if possible. This also keeps more money in your wallet. At the local auto parts house, so long as said tool looks new and packaging is good, they don't question me returning them.

Each to their own though.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:40 PM

Last photo:

It's amazing how many items, tools or something else, are made in China. Their stuff is everywhere. You can't find a freakin' can opener not made in China. They must be running their factories, and little kids, 24/7.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:02 AM

bough it used it on some 24 gauge to hang a bodie got 2/3 done with the job and the head snapped in 2 so yea
Old 08-22-2009, 08:59 AM

Last photo:

I won't buy tools from a pawn shop. Many of the tools at pawn shops were stolen from people that use them to make a living. Stealing tools should be a "hanging offense". I'm not going to support some meth sucking scum bag while a working guy who is lucky to be making a living in today's economy is trying to feed his family and keep his lights on.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucknut
I won't buy tools from a pawn shop. Many of the tools at pawn shops were stolen from people that use them to make a living. Stealing tools should be a "hanging offense". I'm not going to support some meth sucking scum bag while a working guy who is lucky to be making a living in today's economy is trying to feed his family and keep his lights on.
I have to agree but the tools arent usually stolen (you need an ID and theres cameras everywhere) but most are there by dope addicts who are bodymen and painters that need to learn the hard way,so I'm right there teaching them the lessons their parents should have taught about HARD LOVE,Theres no room for dope or alcohal at my shop not even a beer after work but I'll GIVE a kid tools that deserves a break and a JOB.Same goes for the chineese too.Its none of my business what they do after work as long as it dont affect their work....Dont get me wrong though pawn shop owners are mostly crooks that take advantage of peoples hardships and desperation to make a profit kinda like polititions.

Last edited by deadbodyman; 08-22-2009 at 12:47 PM.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.