Harbor Freight Pneumatic panel flanger - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2010, 08:29 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsch25
What are your guys opions on a HF panel flanger?
Don't waste your money. I bought the pneumatic panel flanger from The Eastwood Company and only used it a couple times before the cast flange broke in two. Eastwood wouldn't even back it up. Cheap imported junk.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2010, 05:37 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

My HF flanger is still going ..I just got done doing my floors 18g,I thought for sure that would kill it...My lever kept falling of so I spot welde it to the pin other than that I havent had any trouble with it and I use it all the time. When you buy at HF you should look the tool over very close some will have obvious flaws...when I bought my E wheel I looked at three before I found a good one...
Old 08-16-2010, 06:08 AM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Spray Booth
Last photo:

I don't have the HF flanger, but every time I punch a hole with my hand powered unit I think I might try one.

When I was wrenching for a living, I only bought Snap-On, Mac, and Matco. I had a Snap-On air ratchet. One day it seized. The ratchet end unscrewed itself from the air motor and shot to the floor. Out of warranty. There is a HF unit in my box now. I can by about 10 of them before I reach the price of a Snap-On. If I were still doing it for a living, I would have two in my box, just in case.

My 1/4" angle grinder is the first HF air tool I bought. It is over 10 years old now. Always forget to lube it. Lost count of how many times it has fallen to the floor. Still works like a champ.

Not that impressed with their air-saws. I bought a second one to see if the first one was just a dud. Second one is better, but I wouldn't want to use it to put food on the table.

My opinion? Buy one and try it.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:09 AM

My sentiments exactly redsdad. and if you saved your "strap-on" air ratchet you will find that all the HF parts are interchangeable with it....I have that small air saw too ...the first thing I did was through those blades in the trash adjust the slides properly and use good quality hacksaw blades ,snapped off at the length you like..Just take a chisleand wack it on the blade then snap it...
I think I have every air tool Ive ever wore out in the last 15 yrs....
The Hf 3/8 air drill has some issues with the planetary gears but they also are interchangable with any 3/8 air ratchit
The only Big name quality air tools that are still quality inside are Ingersol rand (as far as I know)....when I took mine apart it had their name on every part and nothing was interchangable except the head,their all the same except an ingersol wont break when you use it as a breaker bar...
On an other note at 5-10.00 ea you can afford to have a dedicated tool instead on changing bits everytime you need a differnt one..even my 3/8 air drill only has a 1/8 bit in it its never had anything else...Sure saves a lot of time I always loose those little bits....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6005 (Small).jpg
Views:	60
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	47488   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5999 (Small).jpg
Views:	55
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	47489   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6006 (Small).jpg
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	47490   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6007 (Small).jpg
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	47491  

Last edited by deadbodyman; 08-16-2010 at 07:19 AM.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
My HF flanger is still going ..I just got done doing my floors 18g,I thought for sure that would kill it...My lever kept falling of so I spot welde it to the pin other than that I havent had any trouble with it and I use it all the time. When you buy at HF you should look the tool over very close some will have obvious flaws...when I bought my E wheel I looked at three before I found a good one...
You must be lucky because Harbor Freight usually handles junk tools. I thought Eastwood would handle a better version of the flange tool, but when theirs broke , they wouldn't even replace it or repair it.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:17 AM

Found My Tools in Pawn Shop (s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucknut
I won't buy tools from a pawn shop. Many of the tools at pawn shops were stolen from people that use them to make a living. Stealing tools should be a "hanging offense". I'm not going to support some meth sucking scum bag while a working guy who is lucky to be making a living in today's economy is trying to feed his family and keep his lights on.
As someone who has been burglarized, the local possey found my tools (air, chain saw which was brand new, compressors (2), hedge trimmers, battery chargers, battery tools, hand tools, ect) between 3 pawn shops, I can tell you the shop owners know they are stolen. One gave $60 to the meth head for over $1000 worth of tools. Fortunately I only had to give the pawn $60 to get my stuff back. The other two, I had to wait until the meth heads trail was over, but I got everything back except one gas hedge trimmer. I guess they needed to trim their mary jane plants.

Last edited by Old Patriot; 08-16-2010 at 07:19 AM. Reason: spell
Old 08-16-2010, 07:27 AM

at least you found them and got them back...even a crackhead wont steal HF tools...LOL.....I only know one pawn shop owner thats a stand up guy just trying to make an honest living.....Now the scrap metal business owners ,thats a whole differnt story... lock up your A/C units guys ,you think tools are expensive wait'll the dopers get ahold of that..
I garuntee you'll be wanting to give out free lead.....
Old 08-16-2010, 03:23 PM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Patriot
...Fortunately I only had to give the pawn $60 to get my stuff back...
Ya gotta pay to get your own stuff back? Couldn't the cops just confiscate your stuff and return it?

Russ
Old 08-16-2010, 03:41 PM

Well I could have waited till the trail was over, then get everything back with no fee, but I needed my chain saw, which was brand new and it was easy math, $60 to get it and the rest of my stuff or buy a new chain saw for $465. I took the cheap route. I am suppose to get my $60 back from the meth heads after they get out of the slammer which should be in another 3 years.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:46 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsdad
I don't have the HF flanger, but every time I punch a hole with my hand powered unit I think I might try one.

When I was wrenching for a living, I only bought Snap-On, Mac, and Matco. I had a Snap-On air ratchet. One day it seized. The ratchet end unscrewed itself from the air motor and shot to the floor. Out of warranty. There is a HF unit in my box now. I can by about 10 of them before I reach the price of a Snap-On. If I were still doing it for a living, I would have two in my box, just in case.

My 1/4" angle grinder is the first HF air tool I bought. It is over 10 years old now. Always forget to lube it. Lost count of how many times it has fallen to the floor. Still works like a champ.

Not that impressed with their air-saws. I bought a second one to see if the first one was just a dud. Second one is better, but I wouldn't want to use it to put food on the table.

My opinion? Buy one and try it.
I worked with a guy that was bragging about his new Snap-on 1/2" impact . I asked him to show me the box it came in . Made in Taiwan . My old Black and Decker would out torque his Snap on .
Old 08-16-2010, 08:49 PM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Spray Booth
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adantessr
My old Black and Decker would out torque his Snap on .
Was it the one with the direction controller that slid side to side at the back? I had one of those B&D units as my first 1/2". Really built up your wrist muscles (or snapped off your hand!).
Old 08-17-2010, 09:04 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsdad
Was it the one with the direction controller that slid side to side at the back? I had one of those B&D units as my first 1/2". Really built up your wrist muscles (or snapped off your hand!).
That is the model I had also . It finally broke off the anvil and the place that the mine sent tools to , to be repaired couldn't get parts for it so the mine bought me a new Dayton . No comparison .

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.