Harbor Freight Pneumatic panel flanger - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2009, 11:48 AM

Last journal entry: Well finally got something different for a project...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Harbor Freight Pneumatic panel flanger

What are your guys opions on a HF panel flanger?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2009, 01:22 PM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

junk

bought one and took it back
Old 07-14-2009, 03:46 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I bought one of these
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=1110
Works great.
Shane
Old 07-14-2009, 04:06 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Most HF stuff is fine - at least the first time or two you use it then from then on, often down hill. I do have some decent HF tools but most are from back in the days when it wasn't all made from recycled Hyundai engines and purchased via catalog and a phone call.

Then - of course there are some "good enough" tools for the occasional user, not the pro. A panel flanger needs to have some cojones to do what it is intended to do - make flanges out of steel paneling.

They are NOT anywhere near a serious do-it-yourselfer or pro tool.

Dave W
Old 07-15-2009, 07:28 AM

Last photo:

see thats the problem, i plan on entering collison repair/ or restoration feild, i need something that will last but for right now i a really saving for a welder. not alot of extra cash.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:08 AM
turbo lag......yeeeeehaaaaaaw

Last photo:

I have the one pictured above and it works great. It saved me so much time punching holes.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:00 AM

Last photo:

For a full time shop I don't know how long it would last but that of course depends on how much you would use it. Like a lot of the HF tools some are decent while others are not, that one however seems to hold up quite well and mine has seen a lot of use without any problems so far. For the cost it certainly is worth a try and if you get a bad one the first time just exchange it, if it holds up as well as mine it will work for a long time and will suffice until you get things going good at which point you can trade up to a more professional grade tool. Mine has been worth far more than it cost if it died right now which it is showing no signs of doing.

The key to making these things last (any tool for that matter) is clean dry air and a few drops of oil everyday it is used, water and dirt in the air is death to any air tool regardless of quality!
Old 07-15-2009, 09:12 AM

Last photo:

okay from the sound of it it could be an okay tool, and right now that all i can afford thanks
justin
Old 07-15-2009, 09:13 PM

Last photo:

I have the HF tool also. Works fine but, I'm not an everyday body man. Many of their tools have a Lifetime warranty, not sure if their air tools still do. If it's what you can afford, like me, go for it.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:09 PM

Last journal entry: Shop Remodel Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsch25
see thats the problem, i plan on entering collison repair/ or restoration feild, i need something that will last but for right now i a really saving for a welder. not alot of extra cash.
You'll rarily use this type of tool doing collision repair. These days it's pretty much unbolt and replace the parts - very little patching.

Restoration or custom work is another story, but that's a lot tougher part of the industry to get into than collision repair as most collision shops will not touch a restoration and restoration shops (still in business) do little collision repair anymore.

That being said I bought one of these on sale - seemed to work fine, although I'd like to see the offset be more like 3/4"

Old 07-20-2009, 07:39 PM

Last photo:

Sign up for the email flyers on Harbor Freights website. http://www.harborfreight22.com/MailPreferences/ Every couple of weeks they email out 20% off 1 item coupons. You can print as many as you want. That will help you save a little more cash. I have the same flanger and it works good, but I'm no pro. I'm sure its good enough to get you going.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:00 AM
Just stuck

Last photo:

IMO, good tools will always pay you back with dividends and cheap crap will sometimes hurt you. If you think you will be using it to make a living with, go with the best you can and with proper care (like cleaning and lube), they can last a lifetime. The majority of the China made crap I've bought in the past has made it to the trash can long ago.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:48 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsch25
I got one from eastmood justin,I believe it was 50.00.theres a HF just up the road theirs looks exactly the same....I've use my flanger all the time for about six or seven years,I'd get it, also they have a flier that comes to the house The best thing about them is .....Ok,take the die grinders 5.00 I bought ten at a time each one is a dedicated tool I never change between bits any more BIG timesaver REAL BIG...My air drill...9.99 HAHAHA sheet it lasted a year before it craped out I only use 1/8" bits in it ONLY,Oh yeah when it did quit I screwed around and took it apart and found out it was just the planetary gears so I went in my junk air tool box and found out the planetary gears in my 3/8' air ratchit are the same so I replaced them and its on its second year LOL I learned something ...all the parts from all the air tools are the same so if you save everything like I do you can fix them in an hour and learn all about how air tools work.WIN WIN you cant lose not only that but look where the other more expensive tools come from and guess what the planetary gears I told you guys about ....they came out of a blue point air ratchet LOL....I laughed my assoff.OK that said some tools MUST BE QUALITY hutchins da's SATA guns never use a 20.00 da sander for finish work,and a cheap gun is at best trouble waiting to happen. SO you want to know how to get started at the cheapest best way and not waste time and money? I can help I already made all those mistakes.GOOD cheap welder? Miller or lincoln 110 bought at pawn shop almost new 400.00 complete with tank and reg might even have gas ,just saw one the other day (I do most my good tool shopping at the local pawn shops but they call me when something comes up I dealt with them for years ....bunch a crooks if you let them get away with it.They only paid 150.00 for it but if I wanted It I 'd offer them 200.00 and walk away you gotta work these guys or they'll work you.

Last edited by deadbodyman; 08-19-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:11 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

Here's a relevant wiki article: Harbor Freight. Just basic info, but it links to HF coupon sites, an HF review website, and a pretty decent HF buying guide. Hope it helps.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:33 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Wow,I'm gonna check out the inside trak tomorrow....Thanks Jon...Way kool,I didnt know that. Mabee the wiki thing isnt so bad after all. I highly recomend the english wheel if your interested in real metalwork it opens up a whole new world to you just like your first welder or cutting torches 200.00 best money I ever spent I almost forgot...the bestest reason to buy an HF tool ......no one steals them....Three Sata's two hutchins da sanders one blue point air file and a buffmaster electronic buffer came up missing so far in the past ten years and no HF toolsever came up gone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6042 (Small).jpg
Views:	158
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	40104   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6008 (Small).jpg
Views:	197
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	40105   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6007 (Small).jpg
Views:	145
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	40106   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6000 (Small).jpg
Views:	128
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	40107   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5999 (Small).jpg
Views:	184
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	40108  

Last edited by deadbodyman; 08-19-2009 at 07:57 PM.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.