Hot Rod Forum banner

harbor freight pressure blaster clogs at sand/air mix valve

9K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  rusthater89 
#1 ·
I am using 20/40 grit coal slag. The nozzle is just fine and the media is not getting wet. I slowly open the valve to let the media mix but after about a few minutes it just clogs up and I have to play with the valve to get it to blast again. Of course a few moments later it is just blowing out alot of air and no media. The nozzle is not clogged and non of my media is clumped as I constantly checked. Is the media/air mix valve to small? Do i need a finer media?

#3 ·
I took the sand valve off and checked it. It is working properly.

The harbor freight website has a review from a person who reversed the inputs into the three way valve. He claimed that worked but it did not seem to do the trick when I tried. I still got about 30 secs to 2 min of blsting before I had to tap the sand valve with a hammer.

I am begining to think my media size is to big

#6 · (Edited)
I did a quick search and did not find a post that talks about this very problem. The guy figured it out and posted pictures. I don't remember the exact details but it seems like a port was partially blocked that he filed out.

edit: found the post. His problem was with the gun on a HF blasting cabinet, not the pressure blaster. Guess my old memory let me down again :(

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88862

#9 ·
I was fooling with the darn thing today. I removed the deadman hose and was messing with the valves. I noticed if I took the ball valve off media would pour from it but if I put the valve back on in the open position the media would not pour from it. I did install a bigger 1/2 inch ball vave but it didn't do any help.

I noticed too that when I opened the sand and air valves the pressure gauge on the blaster would rapidly drop to zero.

Maybe my hoses are too small? I have it set at 70 psi. The compressor does turn on and off but it seems like it can not fill the blaster tank with air quick enough for some reason.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.