Harbor Freight Tool Chest? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2009, 06:39 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

For home use, the US General will hold up for years. Everyone that I have talked to that has them like them really well. Are they the same as Matco, or Snap-On? NO!!! But for the money, you will get a very good box

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2009, 10:04 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin45
For home use, the US General will hold up for years. Everyone that I have talked to that has them like them really well. Are they the same as Matco, or Snap-On? NO!!! But for the money, you will get a very good box

That's the way these things need to be considered, telling everyone that they need Snap-On or Mac boxes and tools just don't make sense. For a pro who intends to make a living with them, sure they should invest in the best but for a home hobbyist or small shop to invest $20,000 for even basic tools just don't make sense. IMO if you are going to make a career out of using those tools then don't even consider less than the best but for the average user Sears is going to be hard to beat and yes even HF has some items worth considering. Just maybe people would think I am nuts for spending nearly $3,000 on just one item at HF but that's what I did! About a year ago we were discussing lathes and I mentioned I needed to replace my worn out Summitt so I bought a new 14x40 engine lathe from HF for a fraction of what a used "good" machine would cost. If I was still running my shop I would not have allowed a HF machine through the door but for a small shop these things are a bargain and I would defend that statement because the machine I have is holding up just fine after a year of everyday use, some of it quite demanding. What would have made the most sense for a hobbyist/simi-pro shop like I am doing, a well worn commercial machine that needs work for $5,000, a new commercial machine for $25,000 to $40,000 or a HF machine of the same size for $3,000? This thing has already paid for itself and the same goes for some other HF tools, the tool boxes are worth the cost if they fit the need and paying thousands for a "better" one of the same size just may not make sense. On the other hand some cheap tools, especially HF, should be avoided regardless of cost so it is a matter of determining what works and what don't but just dissing all things that come from HF may not be such a good idea. As far as those boxes go from what I have seen of them I would not at all be afraid to buy one especially at the sale price which is so often it would make little sense to pay full price.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:13 PM

Bah!! Just go to lowes and get the big stainless Kobalt box with the refrigerator and Pioneer radio in it. $1900

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...19D&lpage=none
Old 10-11-2009, 10:07 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88_mopar
Bah!! Just go to lowes and get the big stainless Kobalt box with the refrigerator and Pioneer radio in it. $1900

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...19D&lpage=none

They had that thing on sale here for less than $1300 a few weeks ago! I thought about it for a long time (stood there and drooled all over it actually!) that day but I guess I just have to draw the line somewhere.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
They had that thing on sale here for less than $1300 a few weeks ago! I thought about it for a long time (stood there and drooled all over it actually!) that day but I guess I just have to draw the line somewhere.
Yea same here. The lowest it got here was $1550 but my mom works at lowes so i would get 10% off.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:57 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
Telling everyone that they need Snap-On or Mac boxes and tools just don't make sense.
I agree! I talk to a lot of pro's who can't settle for anything less than the best. Of course most of them are broke!

People should keep in mind that Home use vs. Professional use is going to be very different. I don't intend to overload this or use it throughout the day everyday!

Craftsman has good quality toolboxes, but even those new are expensive. I've heard good things about Kobalt (Lowes) and Husky (Home Depot) Tool Chests. Again those new are expensive for me right now! I know people suggest looking for used boxes, but the only ones I've found are very high-quality ones selling for big bucks! I know estate auctions are good places to look, but that is time consuming.

Thanks for all the Input!
Old 10-12-2009, 10:38 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

If you need a large box and are concerned about loading the drawers too heavy get 2 26 inch chests rather than one 42..lots of drawers to divvy up the load that way..

Sam
Old 10-13-2009, 11:43 AM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

look around at home improvement stores for an affordable made in usa set... a couple years back they had some at Menards... its a regional size home deopot style chain.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:17 AM

Last photo:

There's Menards around where I live! I'll have to look elsewhere.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:26 PM

tool box

i bought 1 from hf i'm very pleased with what i have. seems to be made very well.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:58 PM

tool box

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88_mopar
Yea same here. The lowest it got here was $1550 but my mom works at lowes so i would get 10% off.
id stay far away from lowes tool boxes. i have taken the 1 ibought from them back toexchange so many times i finally demanded my money back and bought 1 from hf. the last 1 from lowes didnt even last a month without starting to have problems.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:42 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,220 Times in 1,076 Posts
So today I went by Lowes and Homedepot looking for some wood for a project I am working on. I stopped by the tool chests at Lowes and found one of those stainless steel "pro" style ones to be pretty decent. The draws flexed a bit more than my Mac, but pretty darn presentable. For about $250 they had a nice box for your bench.

I then went to Homedepot and saw a "similar" HUSKY brand box. I say "similar" because from a distance it looked "similar". I pulled open the draw and found that it was pop riveted together from VERY thin aluminum, we are talking tin foil thin, paper thin baby. I pushed some weight down, and I don't mean I set out to abuse the thing, just some pressure from my arm extended out in front of my 150lb body, I am not a big man. The friggin thing BENT! I am not kidding, I felt like crap, the friggin thing almost COLLAPSED when I did this!

This box sold for just about as much as the one at Lowes with no comparison what so ever.

Brian
Old 10-22-2009, 06:52 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

my tool box is 1 of the small 2 drawer portable Kobalt tool chests.. I'v had it 4-5 years now and it's more than overweighted, yet still holding up.. best part is, it was a $50 box on sale for $40. they were all dinged up, found the best 1 and complained to the dept manager that they were all bent.. 50% off of any of them so I walked out with a $50 box I paid $20 for.. the dent is on the back and does not effect performance, nor is all that noticeable
Old 10-22-2009, 07:33 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
my tool box is 1 of the small 2 drawer portable Kobalt tool chests.. I'v had it 4-5 years now and it's more than overweighted, yet still holding up.. best part is, it was a $50 box on sale for $40. they were all dinged up, found the best 1 and complained to the dept manager that they were all bent.. 50% off of any of them so I walked out with a $50 box I paid $20 for.. the dent is on the back and does not effect performance, nor is all that noticeable

Good for you!

I like to see people get deals like that but so many are just afraid to say anything.

We had a new Lowes open locally so I have got the chance to spend some time looking around there and those Kobalt tools seem quite decent even if they are Chinese. Actually as far as China imports go they are not all that cheap but then they seem to be better quality than most so I have been buying a few things. I bought a pliers set that I have been using for about a month now and I have to admit I have been impressed with them, for imports anyway. The teeth seem to be tough enough for most jobs, as good as the Craftsman set I got a few years ago, and they feel really good with that thick hard rubber handle covering. Not sure about sockets, ratchets, etc since I have not tried them but they look decent and are priced about midway between pro tools and the Harbor Freight variety.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:38 PM
Hammer torch chisel...

Last journal entry: Getting there
Last photo:

Sears has a big Craftsman box and cabinet for $999, save $400 until the 24th (tomorrow) I started beggin the wife yesterday. She'll probably loosen my leash because she just got a new kitchen

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.