Harbor Freight Tool Chest? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2009, 04:59 AM
Hammer torch chisel...

Last journal entry: Getting there
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I'm off the leash

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2009, 04:05 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

I have bought two rollaround bases from Menards, a side box and a large top box from Menards and am real well satisfied with it. Made from heavy gage steel, BB drawers, etc. Way better than my Crapsman that I have. The only thing about the MasterForce that Menards sells is the green. If you don't like green, well..........you can always paint it. For home I have the large base, side box, and top box and have right at $1000 in it. For work I have just the base and top box and I thing it was a little under $800 on sale.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:17 AM

Last photo:

Because of this thread I took notice of the boxes at our local Sears yesterday and was surprised to discover that the Craftsman boxes seem to be available in three different grades. These things look as if they range from almost junk to some really nice and reasonably heavy duty units, problem is that most of what counts may not be so apparent to someone that is somewhat unfamiliar with tool boxes/cabinets. Just looking at them the cheapest outfits kind of look cheap and are priced accordingly, they would only be good for very light stuff and much weight at all would break them down quickly. The "middle" grade looks nearly as well built as the their "pro" grade but are priced much cheaper and this could cause a problem in a "pro" work environment. My point is just saying "my Craftsman is the best box I ever bought" or my Craftsman box is junk" don't mean much unless it is pointed out WHICH Craftsman box is being discussed. One thing for sure Craftsman still has some nice (the top grade) tool boxes with heavy (heavier ) metal, ball bearings and decent castors/wheels and the top of the line models are probably as good as a person is likely to find, these days anyway, and for the price they could be a good choice. Personally I would stay away from the cheapest ones because they are really just not good for much of anything.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:06 PM
Im trying to have an idea!

Last photo:

craftsman has there tool boxes on sale
http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/s_101...Cabinet+Combos

I just bought the Craftsman 22-drawer premium heavy duty ball bearing grip latch tool chest for 700 buck. its the top and bottom sections. unpacked and i am very happy with the quality, fit, finish.

i saved a little bit for being a craftsman club member- free to join.
out the door for $752

toolbox I bought

Last edited by MRGM; 10-27-2009 at 01:39 PM. Reason: spelling and adding price
Old 10-27-2009, 01:21 PM
Hammer torch chisel...

Last photo:

THis is the one I got (at least it looks like it) but in black.
http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_101...Cabinet+Combos
Old 10-27-2009, 01:41 PM

Last photo:

they have this on for sell (member price until the oct. 31) for $999. Was too big for me

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/Produ...als_Oct09_prev
Old 10-27-2009, 06:22 PM

Last photo:

^those Craftsman boxes are really nice! Wish I had the cash for one in my garage..

Nice finds guys!!
Old 10-27-2009, 06:30 PM

Last photo:

They have layway
Old 10-28-2009, 02:03 PM

Last photo:

Husky Tool Chest

I saw a Husky Tool Chest at Home Depot. It was $300 for a basic 12 or 14 drawer tool chest. I didn't see it online, but I'm sure if you go into the store you'll see it.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:35 AM
Hammer torch chisel...

Last photo:

I'm filling the new tool box....The only problem I'm having is that now I'm finding all kinds of tools that were buried in the old box.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:24 PM

Last photo:

I have the HF top, bottom and side set. I check Craftsman, HD and Lowes boxes and for the money HF cant be beat. They are made of heavier gauge steel, nice rollers, I lubed mine all before I loaded it down with tools. I seldom move mine but I've never had a problem with moving it. The only thing I would change is the crinkle finish, it doesnt hold stickers that well. If you get them on sale with a %20 off coupons you just cant beat the price, then you have all that extra money for more tools! Why pay for a brand name?
Old 02-12-2010, 07:38 PM

My experience with HF is that their stuff is okay if not used on a frequent basis. I bought husky and its great with complete set of *******. All are stainless with ball bearing glides, 41" wide and about 5' high. I think they run around $500-600. Harbor Freight sells similar chests as a separate units.

Last edited by Jon; 03-18-2010 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Advertising. Please see: commercial posting guidelines.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:41 AM

Last photo:

with all the layoffs in the trades ( autodealerships going out ) I have ran across a few deals of guys wanting to get out from the paymentson there boxes , I picked up a 3 bay22 drawer 96" roller cab for 2 grand that when new went for 7k , its only 2 years old and has hardly any scratches on it . I wish the thing had a trailer hitch as it was heavy ( almost 1500 pounds ) I have been a long time buyer of sear pro line stuff but when they took the production to Canada from Iowa ,I couldn't see paying the extra price for stuff thats not built as good as it was , I gave my old roller cabs and boxes to my little brother in trade for a 28" 2 stage snowblower .(5k worth of boxes for a 1200 snow blower who made out ( he had to shovel his driveway the other night )
Old 02-15-2010, 12:28 PM
Dirk Zixxer

I know a few guyss who have that US Gen box from Harbor Freight. Like alll their stuff, its hard to beat the price. The box is actually quite good. Sometimes its hard to justify payin all that extra for a name like Snapon or Matco. What I dont get is some of the new boxes Im seein with builtin refrigeraotrs and boomboxes and lighting. I like it simple I guess.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:37 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zixxer6
What I dont get is some of the new boxes Im seein with builtin refrigerators and boomboxes and lighting. I like it simple I guess.
I don't get that either! If I want a Boombox or Refrigerator, I'll go buy it. I don't want all that in a Tool Chest anyway. It's meant to store tools, not be on the cutting edge of technology.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.