Harbor Freight Tool Chest? - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2010, 03:02 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

HF toolbox thread

There is a thread on the Garage Journal website on these toolboxes.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=53369

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2010, 11:31 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zixxer6
I know a few guyss who have that US Gen box from Harbor Freight. Like alll their stuff, its hard to beat the price. The box is actually quite good. Sometimes its hard to justify payin all that extra for a name like Snapon or Matco. What I dont get is some of the new boxes Im seein with builtin refrigeraotrs and boomboxes and lighting. I like it simple I guess.
I already have a full size fridge and freezer , and a 500w 4 channel stereo in the garage . no need for that stuff and when I worked the trades we had all that stuff available to use in the shop .
Old 02-16-2010, 06:19 PM

Harbor Freight

There tools boxes might be ok but the us gerenal tools are junk. I got a vacuum/bleeder pump from them,used it once and it broke so I took it back to exchange it. Used it once and it broke. I also got a fuel pressure tester hooked it up and the hoses leak.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:39 PM
FrankenPorsche

Last photo:

If you roll your tool box on your trailer for track days, a radio or even cooler could be cool. My boxes fit at the front of the trailer. No fridge, but I did McGuiver an old CD player in. 6x9's on 25' wires make for cool tunes set up in pits. Took all of 30 minutes to cut one drawer and install. Can run on a battery jumper box I have under the lid, or 120v in the garage or RV.

My first black boxes are the PepBoys version. Same manufacturer as HF. I have the HF in yellow now and the Pep Boy drawers swap in and out. I had the black ones for about 3 years and love them. On and off the trailer too many times to count. Casters are heavy duty and hold well on gravel staging areas.

I look at most tools from HF as "Emergency Tools" mostly buying that tool I'll only use once or twice. Or things I loose a lot, like torx bits. The tool boxes, however are decent. Not pro quality, but for the hobbiest or monthly racer.. they're great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1229215957880.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	43981   Click image for larger version

Name:	1229216116872.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	43982   Click image for larger version

Name:	1229216175912.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	43983  
Old 02-17-2010, 09:06 PM

If you are going to spend 1200 plus tax for a tool box, I bet you can do a little shopping on E-Bay or Craig's list and find a Snap on or Mac or other real quality industrial tool box. I don't know anything about the HF box, but if you go look at it and give it a shake with all the doors and drawers open and you see it flex. YOU don't want it. Snap on claims that the number of welds is the key to a quality box. I don't know about all that but I do know that I have seen some old old Snap-on and Macs. Do some research online and find out what you can get. before you go buy. Let us know what you do, cause I'm in the market for a nice box as well and would enjoy a report on what you find!
Old 02-20-2010, 04:35 PM

Last photo:

I'll look for a used Craftsman most likely. Even used Matco, Snap-On, and Mac Tool Chests are out of my price range.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgold
I'll look for a used Craftsman most likely. Even used Matco, Snap-On, and Mac Tool Chests are out of my price range.
In the past I have found that if I put the cash in a coffee coffee cup and forget about it, and add a little to it every once in a while until I get a good handful, I put out the word that I'm looking for "whatever," pretty soon I get a lead on what I'm looking for.

Most of the time people start asking a lot when they have a person looking, before that their about ready to give it away. So don't telegraph what kind of money you are willing to pay for something. Start looking with the idea that you are going to find what you are looking for soon. You will find it.

When you find it remember the phrase; "Wanting and getting aint the same thing!" And "money talks and BS walks." All this means is that he tells you what he wants, you tell him what you will give less 100 dollars. If he says "you aint close enough," ask him "how far apart are we." If he asks you how far apart you are you tell him "we are so far apart I'm ashamed to tell you, just give me your bottom line and I will tell you how much money I can go." I want the box but we got to get closer to make a deal." he will probably come down to the $100 over the offer.

This works on most everything. If you cant make the deal then shake his hand and bid him a pleasant day and walk. You will find stiff like this around, and many people who have it don't know that a toolbox can go $2000.00 so don't tell them. Look at garage sales, and any other source you can find until you find it. The government buys this kind of stuff and sells it after years of service. But if your talking to a mechanic at a to a dealership who bought $20,000 worth of tools including the box, he cant get that figure out of his head, you aint gonna make a deal with a guy like that. Look around, good luck
Old 02-27-2010, 03:44 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

Quote:
But if your talking to a mechanic at a to a dealership who bought $20,000 worth of tools including the box, he cant get that figure out of his head, you aint gonna make a deal with a guy like that
Part of that is because the tech will have a top end box, that even if a few years old, will retain its value. Hard to take advantage of someone who knows what the boxes are worth. And $20 grand is a drop in the bucket.

One reason tech's buy high end boxes is security. Have you ever looked at the chintzy locks on some of these "$300" specials? When you have $50,000+ invested in tools, you want a box that is damn hard to get into without the keys. Some cheap, entry level or mid line box will be opened in seconds, and the tools gone.

Mgold, if you have a costco nearby, look at the Torin boxes they have for sale. I bought the 52" top and bottom set for $1100 CAD taxes in, and they are HEAVY. Roll around well, but needed a forklift to lift them EMPTY. Only complaint is that they have a wrinkle finish, and are hard to keep clean. Good locks, with seperate locks on the pegwall drawers.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:56 PM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:

I have the Harbor Freight one and am very surprised with how good it
seems to be. Heavy and solid-not the usual for HF.
I looked at the Sears at twice the price and like the HF one better.
It's a great buy om sale, I paid aroud $350 for it.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:35 AM
World Famous VF-14

Last journal entry: Cleaned it up...
Last photo:

yup I have the U.S. General bottom box and For as picky as I am Its a ton better than any newer craftsman box made nowadays, I looked at the newer craftsman boxes and for the money they want they are turning into junk, I have a older ball bearing rollaround that I've outgrown, but it is built better than even the newer craftsman professional series boxes. And they are having a sale, the new HotRod mag may 2010 has a ad in the front cover $339 for the usg bottom and a additional 20% off coupon on top of that. You just can't go wrong. I got mine under the same deal and walked out with it for like 275.00.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rockford
yup I have the U.S. General bottom box and For as picky as I am Its a ton better than any newer craftsman box made nowadays, I looked at the newer craftsman boxes and for the money they want they are turning into junk, I have a older ball bearing rollaround that I've outgrown, but it is built better than even the newer craftsman professional series boxes. And they are having a sale, the new HotRod mag may 2010 has a ad in the front cover $339 for the usg bottom and a additional 20% off coupon on top of that. You just can't go wrong. I got mine under the same deal and walked out with it for like 275.00.
ASK and ye shall receive, Im heading over to Harbor Freight, If I like it, I will go buy the May issue of HR mag to get the coupon. Thanks for finding this for us, I cant wait to get my eyes on this one! It looks like what I'm looking for. I only hope that the guy that got this thread started is reading this, it is what he was looking for!
Old 03-18-2010, 11:01 AM
Just stuck

Last photo:

Where is the USG boxes made? I have a Snap on rollaway, older Craftsman Pro series rollaway and top, an Armstrong rollaway with a Kennedy top and some older Craftsman bottoms with the wheels removed sitting under benches etc. The hand tools are a mix of Craftsman, Snap On, Proto, Williams, Armstrong and no telling what else but anything that has made in China goes into the scrap pile. I'm not a big burly guy but when a can break a socket without much difficulty, it's not worth the danger of getting hurt because of the failure. I suppose there are some good China made hand tools but I haven't found them yet but I do have a bench grinder that's 30 years old and a vice that's about the same...but I think kinda like here in the U.S., they made better stuff years ago. I also have a problem buying stuff from a country that has no human rights to speak of and still uses child labor but that's the way I am. I have no problem buying from countries like Japan etc....
Old 03-18-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky1
Where is the USG boxes made? I have a Snap on rollaway, older Craftsman Pro series rollaway and top, an Armstrong rollaway with a Kennedy top and some older Craftsman bottoms with the wheels removed sitting under benches etc. The hand tools are a mix of Craftsman, Snap On, Proto, Williams, Armstrong and no telling what else but anything that has made in China goes into the scrap pile. I'm not a big burly guy but when a can break a socket without much difficulty, it's not worth the danger of getting hurt because of the failure. I suppose there are some good China made hand tools but I haven't found them yet but I do have a bench grinder that's 30 years old and a vice that's about the same...but I think kinda like here in the U.S., they made better stuff years ago. I also have a problem buying stuff from a country that has no human rights to speak of and still uses child labor but that's the way I am. I have no problem buying from countries like Japan etc....
This is about a tool chest, I don't know where it is made, but quite frankly anymore no one else cares and I'm tired of playing the made in USA game, there aint Sh-- made in the USA anymore. Game over! I have tried for years to buy USA and all it has done is get me screwed out of my money. If I would have known that we would have come to this point of all our jobs being overseas, I would have started buying overseas stuff years ago. Fact is that the Chinese have all our machine tools and manufacturing equipment over there and their quality is high cause we are showing them how to make the stuff we should be making. To add insult to injury what is the difference in buying something made in China or something "Made in the USA" by an illegal alien? Hell the Unions have put themselves out of business. I used to buy all American and Union Made but not any more, it's dog eat dog as far as I'm concerned! When I see that our government, factories, and unions are serious about providing me an affordable quality product, I will return to my proud "Made in USA heritage." Right now my motto is "the price is right." It does make me sick to see products in the United States labeled in spanish "Hecho in China" what a freaking joke! As far a China using children in factories, the world does not care, boycotting aint gonna help those children. Sorry but we as consumers are stuck in the middle!
Old 03-18-2010, 12:09 PM
Grand PooBah

Last photo:

my made in the USA box..and yes it is made in the USA.. it weighs in at like 750lbs empty.. i bet theres well over 750lbs stored in it..

Old 03-18-2010, 12:18 PM
Im trying to have an idea!

Last photo:

harbor freight coupon

Pick up that aluminum race jack while your there also

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.