Harbor Freight Tool Chest? - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2010, 12:37 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucer69
my made in the USA box..and yes it is made in the USA.. it weighs in at like 750lbs empty.. i bet theres well over 750lbs stored in it..

Made in USA? So much the better! I'm going to look at one in about 20 min.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2010, 12:48 PM
Im trying to have an idea!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. E. Allison
Made in USA? So much the better! I'm going to look at one in about 20 min.
That's a snap-on too box I believe.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGM
Love to buy one, but snap on get a pretty penny for the name! Wish I had one though! Going to look at the harbor freight box right now if it's good, I will come home with it, if it is not, then I will keep looking, saw a snap on rep the other day, I wish I would have stopped to talk to him about the actual price of a box! If this is not the quality of box that I'm looking for then that is what I will do! I see them around all the time along with Matco.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:29 PM
Grand PooBah

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGM
yea its a Snap-On 90th anniversary Harley Davidson.. bought it around 1995, give $2000 for it.. wont have to buy another.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:54 PM
World Famous VF-14

Last journal entry: Cleaned it up...
Last photo:

Quote:
yea its a Snap-On 90th anniversary Harley Davidson.. bought it around 1995, give $2000 for it.. wont have to buy another.
To bad strap on is also starting to go overseas to manufacture there stuff.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:45 PM

Last photo:

If a person is going to be using these boxes to store the tools he uses to make a living and intends to use it for many years then Snap-On is hard to beat even at their prices. For the weekend mechanic and hobbyist they are certainly nice if you can afford one but they are not necessary in most cases since there are some decent tool chests out there for a lot less money.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:15 PM
Just stuck

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. E. Allison
This is about a tool chest, I don't know where it is made, but quite frankly anymore no one else cares and I'm tired of playing the made in USA game, there aint Sh-- made in the USA anymore. Game over! I have tried for years to buy USA and all it has done is get me screwed out of my money. If I would have known that we would have come to this point of all our jobs being overseas, I would have started buying overseas stuff years ago. Fact is that the Chinese have all our machine tools and manufacturing equipment over there and their quality is high cause we are showing them how to make the stuff we should be making. To add insult to injury what is the difference in buying something made in China or something "Made in the USA" by an illegal alien? Hell the Unions have put themselves out of business. I used to buy all American and Union Made but not any more, it's dog eat dog as far as I'm concerned! When I see that our government, factories, and unions are serious about providing me an affordable quality product, I will return to my proud "Made in USA heritage." Right now my motto is "the price is right." It does make me sick to see products in the United States labeled in spanish "Hecho in China" what a freaking joke! As far a China using children in factories, the world does not care, boycotting aint gonna help those children. Sorry but we as consumers are stuck in the middle!
Man, you need to get a grip. I didn't say anything about buying USA only stuff. Matter of fact, I even mentioned about buying products from Japan, ETC...just not China. And people do care and more than you know. Geez. And yeah, I know it was about tool chests....just haven't had a whole lot of good luck with stuff made in China. I guess when this country is totally dead, then maybe people will care?
Old 03-18-2010, 08:37 PM
Grand PooBah

Last photo:

check out Menards. a friend of mine got a huge green roll around for like $500 or $600, it was the biggest i seen for the money. be great for home use..
Old 03-18-2010, 11:29 PM

Went to Harbor Freight with my Hotroder magazine in my hand, I walked out with the top chest and bottom chest for less than $650, I checked the fit finish and the overall quality of the boxes, far superior to anything I have seen so far, craftsman aint even close, the only thing that could beat it are the true industrial types that run 2, 3, and 4 grand. These things are tough! and they look good great drawers all for a great price, my garage is gonna love this box! I even looked at the Lowes boxes and the first thing I saw was a cracked weld in one of the most critical areas, right on the top rail, in front. The stupid manager should have gotten that thing out of there. Anyway, POS craftsman, lowes, great buy at Harbor Freight!
Old 03-18-2010, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky1
Man, you need to get a grip. I didn't say anything about buying USA only stuff. Matter of fact, I even mentioned about buying products from Japan, ETC...just not China. And people do care and more than you know. Geez. And yeah, I know it was about tool chests....just haven't had a whole lot of good luck with stuff made in China. I guess when this country is totally dead, then maybe people will care?
Sorry maybe I do need to get a grip, but that whole thing was not about you and your comments! You are right, we need to care and if I can buy American, I will, and I promise you I will not buy any knuckle-busting chinese tools, just a box to put my 50 year old tools in. It is true that a man can get hurt putting his weight behind a junk tool, the bigger the tool the bigger the hurt! And lastly it does appear that we will have to hit rock bottom before people realize that there is such thing as national loyalty. And manufacturers are going to have to realize that there is such thing as customer loyalty, if they want my loyalty, then they gotta give me theirs! Hire American workers, have respect for me as an American consumer and I will buy your product! Once again nothing personal!
Old 03-18-2010, 11:59 PM

OH and buy the way, even though it a pretty good box, IT IS MADE IN CHINA. I wish it was not but it is!
Old 03-19-2010, 02:48 AM
Im trying to have an idea!

Last photo:

i passed on the HF one because Craftsman had a better product. Ball Bearing, locking drawers, size, metal gauge, correct welding, heavy duty drawers, nice finish, top drawer and bottom drawers fit nice. Had a made in USA sticker (whether it is true or not is another thing). I am partial to Craftsman my self
Old 03-19-2010, 09:42 AM

The U. S. General tool chest is a great chest, after looking at all the chests on the market with the exception of the Snap on grade/industrial grade high dollar boxes, I found this one to be the best I have seen. I almost bought the Craftsman professional series, but I had concerns with the strength of the bottom of the drawer, the bearings were fine and the drawers fit good but the bottom of the drawer was to flexible for my taste, but I could have lived with it. I liked the latching mechanism of the craftsman. I would have bought it but the price was to high for what I wanted to spend and Sears did not want to extend the credit purchase no interest for a year like they do from time to time. If they would have extended those terms to me I would have bought it, because it was the best that I had seen in the general consumer market place.

I have never shaded the door of a Harbor Freight store. I heard about the U.S. General box on this thread and decided to go take a look see. I did not expect much but it was worth a try! When i got my hands on the box I could not believe the fit, finish and the strength of the box, it was in fact the best box I had seen. They are having a sale on them and the price was pretty good already.

I went to a local grocery store and bought a magazine that had additional coupons for the box I got additional discounts on the box bringing the whole deal to $627 tax title and license, on the top chest and bottom chest! They did not have the side chest in stock and I did not have another coupon, 20% on a single item, so I will wait until I get another magazine for the coupon or try to print one off the net. I will go back next week and get the side chest. I do not want the side locker although it would be pretty cool, maybe someday!

If the craftsman said made in the USA that would have been a plus if I would have noticed it. I made the assumption that it was not. The ones I would stay away from are the Lowes boxes. They look cool and they look strong but when I was looking at them, the display was already broken. Right up front a major weld was broken and separated. No other damage to the box was evident so it appeared to me that it broke under it's own weight (empty). Maybe a fluke, but it was enough to scare me off! It was a good deal though if there was a simple explanation for the damage other than design.

I liked the discussion we had on this thread, it taught me a lot about what to look for in a box, after looking at tool chest for a month I came to realize why professionals buy Snap on boxes and pay high dollar for them. I would to if I was a professional and needed a sizable chest and the security that goes along with it. Snap on knows this that is why they get MONSTER $ for their boxes. I wish I had one!
Old 03-19-2010, 12:07 PM
Grand PooBah

Last photo:

this thread is useless without pics, we need pics
Old 03-19-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
this thread is useless without pics, we need pics
Still in boxes will get PICs up tomorrow night if possible, close up too!

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.