Harbor Freight Tool Chest? - Page 8 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2011, 03:48 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

my 20% off coupon says it is not valid for HF tool cabinets.

read the fine print on the coupon. Perhaps the cashier would not know or the HF system may not be set like that?

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2011, 05:10 PM
Adam's Auto Advice

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Some 20% Coupons Still Valid

Some of the 20% Off Coupons don't have the language printed on them excluding Tool Cabinets. So you could still try to use those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2011, 07:22 PM

Tool Chest

I think the 285.00 price is what I ended up with. They did not flinch when I gave them the 20% off coupon on the sale price. I bought all three pieces, did not want the tall side cabinet.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:37 AM
Adam's Auto Advice

Last photo:

All 3?

You got all 3 pieces for 20% Off with the coupon?
Old 01-09-2011, 01:20 PM
FrankenPorsche

Last photo:

Coupon is good on sale prices. Only rerstriction is open box, clearance, lot sales and day after thanksgiving. One item per coupon per person per day so bring a friend if you want more than one piece. There's one in most car mags this month like CC and CHP. With 20% off it's a steel. Bring a friend, even empty it's a heavy beast to lift by yourself. I love mine and for the hobbiest it's good enough quality. Mine are at least 3 years old now and open like the day I got them.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:05 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,331 Times in 1,153 Posts
You know, because of this thread I had to look at the tool boxes in my local "McHome" (Home Depot) store. God how I HATE going in those friggin places, they are like the internet they suck time from your life, but I digress. I had to go in there because I was across town and my REAL hardware store was too far of a drive. Anyway I checked out the cheap tool boxes they have there. The bottom box was $239 and the top box was $189 (?) and it had a middle box that was two drawers and $99. I was VERY impressed with that bottom box, the drawers were super smooth, the metal was thinner but the darn drawers rolled in and out like my $2000 Mac ($1700 about 15 years ago, they are now about $2500.)

The upper box was cheap tool box junk, same maker, TOTALLY different quality. But damn that bottom box was pretty nice for the money.

Brian
Old 01-09-2011, 07:47 PM

U. S. General Tool Box

I had 3 20% off coupons. One from the inside cover of Hotrod magazine, one from a circular, and one I printed of the internet. I took all three but the manager was quite helpful and did not appear to care if I had one coupon or three. But I went armed with three. Also, It seems to me like I went one day and bought the bottom and top, then went back because I could not live without the side chest. But if it is a problem in your area, the coupons won't be a problem when you find them, just take a couple of friends and each of you buy a different component. I don't know why they would care if you bought 3 with 3 or all 3 with one coupon, but sometimes people think your getting something for nothing and they feel like they gotta stand in your way! The San Antonio, Texas Store is very helpful and bust their *** to help out, they even loaded that heavy @.#.$. for me, It took four pretty heavyset guys to do it. Buy the way there was not a ding on the whole thing. This box is as close to a MAC or a Snap-on that regular people can afford. I would even say that for most people, even professionals just starting out this is a good buy. Good luck and let us know how well you do!
Old 01-09-2011, 08:01 PM

Home Depot and Lowes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
You know, because of this thread I had to look at the tool boxes in my local "McHome" (Home Depot) store. God how I HATE going in those friggin places, they are like the internet they suck time from your life, but I digress. I had to go in there because I was across town and my REAL hardware store was too far of a drive. Anyway I checked out the cheap tool boxes they have there. The bottom box was $239 and the top box was $189 (?) and it had a middle box that was two drawers and $99. I was VERY impressed with that bottom box, the drawers were super smooth, the metal was thinner but the darn drawers rolled in and out like my $2000 Mac ($1700 about 15 years ago, they are now about $2500.)

The upper box was cheap tool box junk, same maker, TOTALLY different quality. But damn that bottom box was pretty nice for the money.

Brian
I too checked out all the boxes in the usual places. Lowes, Home Depot and Sears I even thought about buying one off the internet. I almost bought the Craftsman and I am glad I did not. The Home Depot is nowhere near the U.S. General. The Lowes seems to be a good box but if you look at the welds at the top just under the lid you will notice where it is tack welded. At my Lowes the tack weld is broken. It is broken because all tool boxes flex before and after they are loaded. This box has not even made it out of the store and is broken. It's a shame too, a waste of perfectly good building material. I could not even imagine loading a thousand pound of tools into that box. The HD box that you are talking about does have a decent bottom chest though but I like my stuff to match. By the way don't even bother looking at that thing Northern Tool calls a Tool Chest. By the way, my Lowes still has the broken box as a display, but hey it has a built in stereo system!
Old 01-11-2011, 08:59 AM
Adam's Auto Advice

Last photo:

Online ToolBoxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallison77a
I even thought about buying one off the internet.
I've considered ordering a box online as well. I've seen a couple guys with boxes they've ordered online. I have been very impressed with the quality and value they got. A lot of these websites have Free Shipping. So it's a very convenient way to get a box. I think it would be hard for me to justify buying a ToolBox with a "Pro Badge" on it nowadays when I know there are just as good setups out there for a fraction of the price.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:09 AM
FrankenPorsche

Last photo:

Like anything else the tool box may need to be in scale with the tools. I love my HF boxes however they are filled with tools form HF, Lowes and Home Depot. I don't own any real nice tools. A more expensive box would be over kill for my hobby level. The boxes are so big, I'm hard pressed to load down even a single drawer. I'm OCD and don't like tools touching each other in the drawer. Everything neat and in it's place.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:21 AM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: Try again
Last photo:

heck, half the time all my tools are in a pile on the floor somewhere
why do you even need a box?
just get a couple buckets
Old 01-11-2011, 11:56 AM

Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark928
Like anything else the tool box may need to be in scale with the tools. I love my HF boxes however they are filled with tools form HF, Lowes and Home Depot. I don't own any real nice tools. A more expensive box would be over kill for my hobby level. The boxes are so big, I'm hard pressed to load down even a single drawer. I'm OCD and don't like tools touching each other in the drawer. Everything neat and in it's place.
When you get your box(s) paid for, go to Sears for the best value in tools. Collect old, bent, busted, Craftsman's' and trade them for new ones. Buy them on their sale days, get a discount card from the tool desk and ask for e-mail reminders for the sale days, they will send coupons automatically.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:47 PM
Adam's Auto Advice

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark928
I love my HF boxes however they are filled with tools form HF, Lowes and Home Depot. I don't own any real nice tools.
A lot of guys you see spending a lot of money on their ToolBox, have little money for tools. Then they get tools from all those places or Craftsman. I'd rather spend less money on my ToolBox, and more on tools!
Old 02-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Adam's Auto Advice

Last photo:

Under $300?

Do you think HF will every offer this box with a coupon or on sale for under $300 again?
Old 02-05-2011, 03:29 PM

Harbor freight

20% coupon in this months popular mechanics, and this past weeks mail out. Generally they have the flyer at the store. Part A 199.00, C is 299.99, and D is is 399.99. you will need three coupons. Take your friends down there each holding a coupon and buy each of the pieces, you will walk out with all three for 720.00 plus tax if you have sales tax there. that is a smoking deal. you can get that right now. The 20% coupon is better than the sale price so don't wait around for the sale price. You buy this box and you will not be disappointed, even if you got what it takes to buy a Snap-on or a Mac or a Proto that are really not that much better than the General, especially for the price difference. I could buy a new one of these every 5 years and still come out better than buying a Mac.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.