Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   Harbor Freight vehicle dollies? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/harbor-freight-vehicle-dollies-204844.html)

Mutt's37Buick 09-04-2011 11:41 PM

Harbor Freight vehicle dollies?

I'm looking at buying the 1500 lb Harbor Freight vehicles dollies?
Are they any good?
They do not have the bars on each side. Are the bars better, or not?
Thanks

TommyK 09-05-2011 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mutt's37Buick
I'm looking at buying the 1500 lb Harbor Freight vehicles dollies?
Are they any good?
They do not have the bars on each side. Are the bars better, or not?
Thanks

I don't know about bars or no bars but a friend on mine bought a set from HF and they suck. The casters are for s**t and they make it very difficult to push the car around.

mmopar0521 09-05-2011 06:37 AM

Agree - steel wheels with poor bushings. If you have a light vehicle, maybe. I tried them out with a 4500 lb small truck and basically couldn't move it. It's all in the wheels. The structure is fine, just needs better wheels.

zbhover 09-05-2011 07:09 AM

If your doing something light like a VW project, then their $9.99 cheapo furniture movers work great, atleast the did for my V8 Beetle Project But the bug is light and I have smooth concrete to roll it around on.

http://www.v8beetleresource.com/epbimages/bparts22.jpg

I just put some 2x12's on top of them and I had no problems.......

deadbodyman 09-05-2011 08:45 AM

I bought a couple pair and I like them......BUT....as with just about all HF stuff you have to tweek them a little...the casters have NO grease so grease up the swivel then the axel and you wont have any trouble....Just be sure there isnt any debre like nuts and bolts on the floor. they'll make any solid wheel caster stop dead in its tracks...

capt546 09-05-2011 09:06 PM

Granted my skylark is under 3K but I found they work pretty well as long as you makes sure the tire is centered on the dolly, mine was a little hard to move around until I realized one of the rear dolly tire was not centered. I jacked up that wheel and re-position the dolly and it works a whole lot better.

Capt. Zorro 09-05-2011 09:51 PM

Yeah, they work OK for light to medium cars. I've got a couple sets I've had for years. Have a couple transmissions on two of them that make it handy to roll under the workbench.

Mutt's37Buick 09-06-2011 12:42 PM

Thanks for all your feedback.
1) Does anyone have a supplier of vehicle dollies they like for a heavier car (4400 lbs)?
2) Do the bars that are across some dollies help, or hurt, the use of the dollie?
Thanks

Old Fool 09-07-2011 08:57 AM

Like DBM says, lube the axles and turn tables before you use them and they will be fine. ( they wont work on a gravel driveway,lol)

I have 4 of them and couldn't get along without them.
I use them to move rear ends, trans, cars, whatever with no problems and would like to have at least 2 more.
A 2001 Mustang GT will easily roll sideways across my garage on them.

Mine have the bars and at times I have thought about cutting one bar off so I can slide them in sideways to a tire. Then I think about it and just jack the rig up a couple more inches.

I do not know how strong they would be with a bar missing and for many uses the bar helps to support say the pinion end of a diff when moving it around.

I would not spend more on others as they work fine and I am cheap.

Brimstone 09-07-2011 12:48 PM

I used a set of the 1000lb dollies to move a '79 Chevy truck into my garage using a come-a-long to drag it in (dollies on the front wheels only). The drivetrain was out of the truck, but it was still a pain since I broke a few of the casters. Managed to do it over an old driveway and dirt/gravel by using pieces of 3/4" plywood as a solid surface.

key point: if you're going to use these dollies, then make sure the casters on the dollies are pointed in the correct direction. If you push/pull on the vehicle and expect the casters to turn then be prepared to replace 'em - they're more likely to break off in that case. It's better once it's moving, but no big directional changes without adjusting the casters first.

deadbodyman 09-07-2011 01:06 PM

LOL,I wouldnt own a pair either if HF didnt have them...talk about cheap.... I waited untill I had a 20% coupon..... :sweat:

bsa_bob 09-07-2011 01:51 PM

There was a fella making dollies at home in South lyon michigan i bought mine 20 years ago and paid 175.00 which i thought was expensive then, i still have them never any problems as described above, and now i don't use then anymore.But the castores are top notch and they go where ever you push your car to.You could probably dig around on the internet and find this guy i don't know. I do know anything that you want a tool to do properly, DON'T BUY IT FROM HF the ONLY thing i ever bought from them that worked quite well was a m/c table, and IT works good. 5 years now.

Mutt's37Buick 09-07-2011 04:26 PM

Thanks for your feedback.
For a ton personal reviews on vehicle dollies check out the thread at http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=4881
Thanks

bsa_bob 09-07-2011 05:09 PM

Mine are the tire skates i recognize the shape/so now they are $50.00 or so more than they were. 12" wide These work good hth bob s

cranky1 09-09-2011 06:36 PM

Made my own. Not that hard to do if you have a chop saw and a welding machine....and better than buying more crap made in China.