Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - hard hot start, white smoke smells like gas
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012, 11:51 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoleski View Post
So if I take it apart what would I be looking for? Just cleaning the needle/seat or replacing that? Also the float? i'm guessing a brass one would be best
I'll put my two cents in. I've rebuilt maybe a thousand or so of these in my shop back in the 70's when they were very common.

First the, the photo shows the choke straight up when it's warm so that can't be the problem. These things were notorious for having internal leaks at the base of the well where the jets and rods reside. This well has 2 lead plugs in the bottom that leak in more than half of all the quadrajets I've ever seen. Lots of the rebuilders don't have any way of checking this. They just replace the carb if they leak. Some kits come with a chunk of rubber that fits between the rod and jet well bottom and the carb base.
I would first, try to get the seller to exchange the carb. If that fails, remove the screws in the bottom of the carb and carefully seperate the body and the base while leaving the carb linkage in place so you won't have to figure how it goes if you take it apart. install a rubber plug available at the auto parts store in the open space in the center of the carb and bolt the carb back together and try it. If it doesn't work, you'll have to take it apart and learn about a very complicated carb. One more tip: take it apart on a bench after first draining the bowls by turning it upside down. Then on a work bench covered by a soft towel to prevent the check balls from bouncing across the floor, take it apart.