Hard lessons being learned here... please help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2004, 02:31 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hard lessons being learned here... please help

Hi everyone, Happy NYE!

Car is a 91 mazda miata, road race car, doesn't have to look good cept from a few feet away. I'd prefer it to not look like total crap, which is the state it is in now.

Origionally purchased some Southern Poly black epoxy primer. Since I'd never sprayed anything before, my first try wasn't to impressive. I attempted to paint the engine bay, and hard top. They were both coated well, just not consistant at all (some flat, some gloss, some mid way). This was yesterday. Today I came in, stuff was hard as a rock, so at least I mixed it correctly!

I scuffed it all with 180 then 220, then a red scothbrite pad. Nice and smooth once again. I used some 5 star Acrylic Lacquer primer that was suggested to me by a guy who has painted a few cars before.... little did I know that I should have gotten something else?

I was able to lay out the primer just fine, nice and uniform. End of day, both the engine bay and hard top areas have been sanded again with 180/220/red scotchbrite.

I'm at the crossroads, and don't know what to do.

Eventually, I'd like to paint the entire car a metallic orange/rust color. The top will be black, glossy. I would prefer, after learning pros and cons, to use bc/cc. For the time being, I'd like to paint the engine bay the final color, metallic orange. The rest of the car I will scuff and spray with the epoxy primer. This will allow me later to paint the car the desired color, without having to remove everything under the hood.

Can I paint directly over the lacquer primer in the engine bay? It's been sanded down, smooth, etc.. but it's lacquer...isn't that bad?

Should I shoot another coat of epoxy over that primer so not to worry about the lacquer having problems down the road?

What can I do about painting the engine bay?

Thanks for helping a total NOOB. It's through mistakes that I learn, but I'm hoping not to have to trash a bunch of material to get this one correct.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2004, 04:54 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

If it were me I would try to sand all the lacquer primer I could off and then give it another coat of the epoxy. Sand as necessary then go ahead with your finish coats. When it comes to the outside of the car use the epoxy then a good sandable primer followed by the finish coats. Do yourself a favor though and pick one paint line and stick with it when it comes to the rest of the car. It's much easier that way and chances of an adverse reaction between paint brands is eliminated.

Good luck,

Centerline
Old 12-31-2004, 05:21 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

RGR That! I think for under the hood at least, the chances of something going wrong are slim. I'm going to DA the roof back down to the epoxy, and scuff as much off in the engine bay as possible. This will be followed by another coat of the poxy.

I'll get my ducks in a row, I suppose I'm at least learning

Thanks Centerline, as well as Barry K!!!

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.