Hard shifting - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2003, 03:44 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Hard shifting

Second day driving my truck under these conditions....
first day: shifter wouldn't stay in third gear.
today: after driving on the interstate my truck wouldn't go into 1st, 2nd, or 3rd.
Any ideas?
No noises or grinding, just hard to put into these gears.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2003, 08:34 PM

Last photo:

I would check a few things. Take the fill plug out of the side of the transmission and see if you have the proper amount of gear lube inside the transmission. It should be filled right up to the inspection hole, when the car is parked on a level surface.

Second, check to see if the shift linkage is adjusted correctly. The shift arms on the back of the transmission are usually designed to line up so you can run a 1/4 inch rod thru all of them, when the shifter is in neutral. If this is not the case re-adjust the shift linkage. Check to be sure the shifter is mounted tight to the transmission.

Check the hole in the floor board that the main shifter arm goes thru to be sure there are no obstructions.

Lubricate the pivit points of the shift rods and shift leavers on the transmission.

Check to see that your throw out bearing (clutch pedal)is adjusted properly. You should feel a little play in the clutch pedal before it makes contact which means your throwout bearing would be about 1/4 inch behind the fingers of the presure plate when the clutch pedal is all the way back. Check to see that your clutch pedal is coming all the way back.
Old 04-20-2003, 06:11 AM

Last photo:

I would go with the fluid first. I actually had that problem on one of my camaros, luckly it would go into reverse and I was about 2 miles from home. I ended up driving the 2 miles in reverse with a school bus facing me. Funny thing is I actually think I was doing 30 in reverse. Filled it up and every gear worked, found out later I had a leak in the case.
Old 04-21-2003, 04:47 AM

I drove it again yesterday, I was able to drive in 1st, reverse, and forth gear. No 2nd or 3rd. If I place shifter in 2nd or 3rd, shifter stays there , but the gear doesn't grab, just a slight chatter. I found that strange, seems like it would be 1st and 2nd, or 3rd and 4th, not 2nd and 3rd?
Old 04-21-2003, 04:59 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

I hate guessing on something like this, since I don't know what transmission/shift linkage you have, but here goes. On some standard transmissions, although usually the ones with the shifter inside, the shift forks get worn out. Actually with the internal shifter type it is actually the inserts on the forks that wears out. What happens is that people keep pressure on the shifter while driving. The shift fork is forced against the slider, causing the fork/insert to wear. The transmission then can't go all the way into that gear. I have seen them worn out going into any of the gears, although it is usually the 2nd gear or 4th gear that has the problem as it is the position towards the driver. That may be what the noise is that you are hearing. Since the shifter is going all the way to that gear and the slider isn't. Something to think about. Good Luck
Old 04-26-2003, 06:14 AM

well, I pulled the tranny in an attempt to replace with a friends old tranny...nothing but trouble! the tranny doesn't work very well.

I was so frustrated that I sat and thought about my old tranny, pulled off the side cover and saw that one of the shift forks look different then the other, was just wondering if the shift forks are differen on a saginaw?
One fork is shaped like a "C" the other is shorter.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.