Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - hard to start, gas smell, little power
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 10:22 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanOkie
Checked the timing this weekend. When I put the timing light on the balancer, I couldn't even find the timing mark. Played with it until it came into view. It was advanced way too far. That explains the high idle speed, hard to start, gas smell and poor gas mileage. Although 10 BTDC was recommended, the truck seemed to run better at 8 degrees BTDC.

Don't get me wrong, its not fixed completely (choke is still an issue). Not sure how well the truck will start when it's cold again. After warming up and fixing the timing, the truck started very well. I can manually shut the carburetor and start it later when it's cold...I guess we'll see. I'll report back later.

Questions:
-If you rebuild a carb, will that fix the choke?
-What does it cost to rebuild a carb? Either myself or a pro
-I currently have a 2BB carb so wonder if the cost is high enough to upgrade to a 4BB carb and intake? I know I want to but I'm too cheap ;-)
-Even when warm, the truck had a slight hesitation when I hit the throttle. I gapped the spark plugs at .40, maybe .45 is better?

thanks for all your advice.
When you set the timing did you disconnect the vacuum advance first? And did you check to see what the total timing is?

On the carb, rebuilding it will only affect the choke in that it will have cleaned linkages and should be free to move. The kit will have instructions on how to bench adjust the choke, too. Final adjustment is done w/the carb on the engine.

You likely have either a "divorced" or a "hot air" choke. Divorced has a thermostat on the intake w/a link connecting to the choke arm on the carb.

Hot air uses a round black plastic choke in a housing attached to the side of the carb and will have a pipe running to it from the intake or exhaust manifold so hot air can reach the choke. The tube needs to be in place.

A carb kit costs about $20. To have a pro rebuild it can cost $100-plus. You might
find someone to do it for less, just be sure they know what's up.

Once you get back w/what kind of choke you have and what's up w/it we can go from there on setting it up to work.